Notifications
Clear all

Does Anyone Make Their Own Vit C Serum?

MemberMember
(@melell)

Posted : 02/24/2014 9:38 pm

I have been making my own for quite awhile.

I make a really plain version and just use ascorbic acid and distilled water.

I like to do this so I can make a weeks worth at a time and don't have to worry so much about breakdown.

In the past when I would purchase the serum it would always be more of a serum than a liquidy mix. Is it more effective to use mixed with an oil?

I wondered if adding emu oil to the mix might be helpful?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/05/2014 11:33 am

Hey!

I make my own vitamin C serum too! *High Five*

I'm actually uploading a video on how I make mine on www.youtube.com/morgovogs on saturday if you're interested :)

I add glycerin to mine because it is a humecdant so it will help moisturise the skin and also help the product to absorb deeper down.

Adding oil won't work because oil and water don't mix unless you use an emulsifying agent, which would turn the product into a lotion rather than a serum. Glycerin added to the mix gives it a more serum-like consistency and gives it more of a slip.

If you wanted to make it more of a thick serum like commercial ones you could add hyaluronic acid (sodium hyaluronate), however I prefer to have my hyaluronic acid serum separate from my vitamin C :)

Morgo

MemberMember
(@annalastname)

Posted : 03/07/2014 10:06 am

I'm pretty sure vitamin C is very unstable, so making your own is kind of a waste of time. It is highly sensitive to light and air and deteriorates fast. Also, I'm pretty sure the form you need to put on your skin has to be purified and in a certain amount, otherwise you might be causing more irritation than good. I'd love to make my own effective serum because they are so expensive to buy, but I don't have the resources or skill to do it properly.

MemberMember
(@ambertaylor)

Posted : 03/08/2014 4:19 pm

I have never made my own. I found some off ebay that I am in love with. Apply just a bit at night and my face has really looked amazing with it. Love how it makes my skin feel.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 03/09/2014 3:35 pm

I'm pretty sure vitamin C is very unstable, so making your own is kind of a waste of time. It is highly sensitive to light and air and deteriorates fast. Also, I'm pretty sure the form you need to put on your skin has to be purified and in a certain amount, otherwise you might be causing more irritation than good. I'd love to make my own effective serum because they are so expensive to buy, but I don't have the resources or skill to do it properly.

Ah I have the skills and resources to do it properly, and know a lot about it :)

You're right that it is very unstable which is why I would never suggest spending money on commercial vitamin c serums, because even with the preservatives it will become 'dead' basically after a few weeks.

I keep it in a dark glass bottle in the fridge and remake it every 1-2 weeks.

As long as you never go above 20%, you shouldn't have irritation. If you're sensitive then 15% is best. It's far less irritating than most of the crap people put on their faces these days though

MemberMember
(@melell)

Posted : 03/12/2014 3:05 pm

Thanks Morgo.

And yep, I have yet to purchase a vit c serum that isn't colored with a yellow tinge to mask the breakdown. I make it at 20%, keep it in a dark bottle and in a cool place. It stays semi clear for little more than two weeks- exactly why I make my own.

Thanks again for the info Morgo, can you post your youtube channel :) ?

MemberMember
(@melell)

Posted : 03/13/2014 6:12 pm

Excellent, thank you!

MemberMember
(@bumpsbegone)

Posted : 03/22/2014 12:21 pm

Use magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. It is a very stable, non irritating form of vitamin c.