Notifications
Clear all

Probiotic Reaction?

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 06/05/2013 10:52 am

My acne has been controlled for the past few months, except for about five closed comedones that couldn't be seen, only felt. Those comedones had been there for about 4-5 months. My big issue was yeast infections, which I kept getting with every menstrual cycle. My physician said that was common, and that I should try taking a probiotic, which would help keep those away. So I have been taking them for approximately a week, and only a few days after starting them, three of those formerly hidden bumps have come to the surface as massive whiteheads (ick).

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this beneficial, or am I going to keep breaking out/purging? The only thing that has changed is the probiotics, do you think these are the cause of my acne coming to the surface? Will it stop? Should I quit taking them?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/05/2013 2:06 pm

Some people experience breakouts on probiotics that are ongoing, others experience an initial purging reaction. It's hard to tell at this point, so it might help to keep taking them for a couple of weeks before you make up your mind. The quality of the probiotic can make a huge difference. Things to aim for in a probiotic are: multiple strands (not just 1 type of good bacteria), at least a few billion microorganisms (although you may want to start with millions and work your way up), and free of common allergens (dairy, corn, gluten, etc). The probiotics doctors recommend usually contain corn in their capsule, so that might be what is causing a reaction. Basically, the less additional ingredients a probiotic contains, the fewer chances you have to break out. It might be the capsule ingredients that are breaking you out, not the probiotics.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 06/05/2013 2:53 pm

The unusual thing is this: all but one of the bumps that are coming up, are bumps that were previously clogged pores that had been there for months. I'm taking accuflora right now, do you have a suggestion for a better product? I'm going to try the Candida diet since I eat a lot of starch, and at least three helpings of candy a day.

Some people experience breakouts on probiotics that are ongoing, others experience an initial purging reaction. It's hard to tell at this point, so it might help to keep taking them for a couple of weeks before you make up your mind. The quality of the probiotic can make a huge difference. Things to aim for in a probiotic are: multiple strands (not just 1 type of good bacteria), at least a few billion microorganisms (although you may want to start with millions and work your way up), and free of common allergens (dairy, corn, gluten, etc). The probiotics doctors recommend usually contain corn in their capsule, so that might be what is causing a reaction. Basically, the less additional ingredients a probiotic contains, the fewer chances you have to break out. It might be the capsule ingredients that are breaking you out, not the probiotics.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/05/2013 6:14 pm

If your bumps are coming to the surface and you don't have any new breakouts, then that's a good purging reaction. Even if you get a few more pimples initially, don't worry about it....if you are still breaking out 2-3 weeks into your probiotics regimen then it might be worth quitting or switching to a different kind. Accuflora is actually pretty good. I thought you were taking something like Philips Colon Health, which many doctors recommend, but has potato starch in the capsule so not the most acne-friendly to take. Accuflora has pectin, which draws out toxins from your system so you may just be experiencing a detox reaction. Also, most people on the forum have had success with turmeric, which is listed as an ingredient, but some including myself didn't get the best results. Those are the 2 ingredients I can think of besides the probiotic itself that might be causing your skin to purge.

I was taking solgar advanced multibillion acidophilus, but my allergist wants me to take something stronger so now I am trying out PB-8 vegetarian probiotic. The PB-8 non vegetarian version is better in that it also contains prebiotics, but also has gelatin in the capsule so I didn't get that one.

I think for now just stick with what you have and give it a couple of weeks. Start with a low dosage (1 pill/ day) then increase it to the recommended daily amount (which should be 2/day).

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 06/05/2013 8:34 pm

I had one small whitehead pop up this afternoon. So hopefully this isn't going to be a pattern. I do notice that the spots I have been getting are going away very quickly, however. I'm trying the Candida Diet as well, so hopefully both of these things help. But I will take your advice and stop taking the Probiotics if I continue breaking out into the third week. Are your Probiotics working well for you? Also, thank you so much for responding. I was pretty upset over this breakout (part of me is glad that those pimples that had been there for months are going away), but it's still distressing.

If your bumps are coming to the surface and you don't have any new breakouts, then that's a good purging reaction. Even if you get a few more pimples initially, don't worry about it....if you are still breaking out 2-3 weeks into your probiotics regimen then it might be worth quitting or switching to a different kind. Accuflora is actually pretty good. I thought you were taking something like Philips Colon Health, which many doctors recommend, but has potato starch in the capsule so not the most acne-friendly to take. Accuflora has pectin, which draws out toxins from your system so you may just be experiencing a detox reaction. Also, most people on the forum have had success with turmeric, which is listed as an ingredient, but some including myself didn't get the best results. Those are the 2 ingredients I can think of besides the probiotic itself that might be causing your skin to purge.

I was taking solgar advanced multibillion acidophilus, but my allergist wants me to take something stronger so now I am trying out PB-8 vegetarian probiotic. The PB-8 non vegetarian version is better in that it also contains prebiotics, but also has gelatin in the capsule so I didn't get that one.

I think for now just stick with what you have and give it a couple of weeks. Start with a low dosage (1 pill/ day) then increase it to the recommended daily amount (which should be 2/day).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/07/2013 11:31 am

The candida diet is pretty hard to follow...I did it for a few months but was not as strict as I should have been. If you think you have candida, try it, but if you have other intolerances (e.g. to nuts, certain vegetables, eggs) then it might not be the right diet for you.

My probiotics are working, I didn't have an initial breakout when I switched brands and upped the dosage, but that might be because I'm used to them by now. I'm also taking enzymes to help with allergies but it's too soon to tell if they are working.