Notifications
Clear all

Suddenly getting spots after 2 great years, any advice?

MemberMember
(@supermarinesf)

Posted : 05/21/2018 8:04 am

Hi. When I was 18 I suffered from mild acne. This lasted for roughly 4 years, until I was 22. In 2016 my skin became very good, and in 2017 my acne had gone completely. Between September 2016 - September 2017 I got one spot, and it went away after a day. The strange thing during this time is that I didn't use any products on my face whatsoever, no facial washes, no moisturisers, nothing. I really thought the nightmare was over, and that I could finally move on.

Then last September it returned very suddenly. After a month I tried Simple refreshing face wash which made my skin perfect for 3 months, but since the start of this year my skin has gotten worse and worse again. I really don't understand why, but I have some theories.

In September my spots returned about a week after my longtime girlfriend moved back home to China. Could it be a case of missing her and feeling sad at times? Or is this just a coincidence? The same day she moved home I moved to another flat. The difference between this flat and my old one is that the new one is slightly dustier and that we have a shared laundry room (had my own washer in old flat). Could any of this be related? I've read that dust can affect the skin, and maybe shared washers are bad too? Also, because I now have to pay to wash my clothes I've started to mix my pillow cases and towels with my clothes, and just washing it all together. I actually just realised a few days ago this might be problematic.

Could any of these factors have made my skin worse, and also, if my skin was great when I didn't use any products, should I go back to not using anything? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm moving to China on Thursday and getting married on Monday, and I'd love to start my new life with clear skin. One thing's for sure, I took the good 2 years for granted (something I'll never do again).

Thanks and sorry for the long text!

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 05/21/2018 4:40 pm

Hey mate, it's good to get as much info as possible!
You say you have moved to a more dusty appartment with your fiance (happy for you by the way!). A more dusty environment could be a factor, but not all that much honestly.

I think these recent outbreaks you have gotten are a result of genetic changes, and the main cause is usually internal changes in your body.
The diet is usually the main reason for outbreaks, the core. I know you have not been having this issue for 2 years back in the days and stuff. But trust me, I have seen this happen to many people.

So cut back on dairy, sugar, white bread etc., and also all processed food.
After 6 weeks of this your skin will get better naturally and you can start with proper skincare routines.

Just pm me for more advice if you want,
cheers

MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 05/21/2018 4:54 pm

Cleaning up your diet will help, but often acne is the result of hormonal changes. Make sure you are careful about your skin care routine, don't skimp on it at all. But don't get too rough with your skin, that can make it worse.

MemberMember
(@supermarinesf)

Posted : 05/22/2018 4:42 am

12 hours ago, AcneVM said:

Hey mate, it's good to get as much info as possible!
You say you have moved to a more dusty appartment with your fiance (happy for you by the way!). A more dusty environment could be a factor, but not all that much honestly.

I think these recent outbreaks you have gotten are a result of genetic changes, and the main cause is usually internal changes in your body.
The diet is usually the main reason for outbreaks, the core. I know you have not been having this issue for 2 years back in the days and stuff. But trust me, I have seen this happen to many people.

So cut back on dairy, sugar, white bread etc., and also all processed food.
After 6 weeks of this your skin will get better naturally and you can start with proper skincare routines.

Just pm me for more advice if you want,
cheers

OK thanks mate. I have been eaing PBJs for breakfast in the last couple of months, so that could be a reason. Read a lot of horror stories about peanut butter in the last few days. Do you think I should start with a skincare routine even though my face was near perfect for 2 years without any skincare products whatsoever?

11 hours ago, Silavana said:

Cleaning up your diet will help, but often acne is the result of hormonal changes. Make sure you are careful about your skin care routine, don't skimp on it at all. But don't get too rough with your skin, that can make it worse.

Do you think I should start with a skincare routine even though my face was near perfect for 2 years without using any products whatsoever?

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 05/22/2018 5:01 am

It's naturally healthy with proper skincare routines, exfoliation 1-2 times a week to absorb dead skincells, moisturizing to soften the skin. Also using some sort of serum for spot treatment when blemishes occur.

Also peanut butter is not necessarily bad for u, in the video below I explain which peanut butter which is healthy