Notifications
Clear all

Hair loss and acne and iron

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/29/2017 11:55 am

I have natural thick and strong hair but the last few months my hair has been shedding like crazy! I was so scared and found out it can be a symptom of pcos since I also have had bad acne and fast hair growth on my body. I am currently on accutane but my hair was shedding months before. My hairs still thick but the amount that falls out scares me that it will start to thin out. 

I went to the dermatologist yesterday and after my blood work she said my iron levels were TWETNYNINE when the recommended is EIGHTY to ONEHUNDRED TWENTY! So I'm very very low in it and it can cause hair loss. Im now taking a iron supplement because even though I eat an extremely clean diet she said that some people just can't absorb it as well as others. She said it may also make acne worse, I havent seen many posts on this but I will post if it seems to help my skin and how exhausted I always feel! 

I also researched it and plenty of people have posted that low iron caused their hair loss. Just wanted to put it out there for anyone who is experiencing shedding hair either with or without accutane. It could just be a vitamin deficiency. xx :) 

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 11/29/2017 2:43 pm

did your doctor recommend standard iron vitamin tablets orFerrous Sulfate tablets?

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/29/2017 9:28 pm

6 hours ago, MrBakery said:

did your doctor  recommend standard iron vitamin tablets or Ferrous Sulfate tablets?

just standard iron vitamin, I bought natures bounty iron plus :) I already feel like I have so much more energy 

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 11/30/2017 2:25 am

i have takenFerrous Sulfate tablets in the past. they give you a real boost but.. turn your stool black.