Notifications
Clear all

I DONT KNOW WHERE ELSE TO TURN TO CLEAR MY SKIN

MemberMember
(@swinks)

Posted : 11/12/2017 3:40 pm

Hi everyone! I'm coming here for some ideas on what to do to help my skin now. Here is the quick run down:
-I'm 19
- Have had acne for 5 years
-Visited a dermatologist for 4 of those 5 years
-I have been on finacea, clindamycin gel and lotion, minocycline, epiduo forte (this did help quite a bit but I still got frequent small breakouts), tretinoin .5%, retin-A micro .08%, Tazorac .1%, bactrim, onexton, benzefoam, tried Navan skincare vitamins (honestly don't know if these helped)
-I had an allergic rxn to bactrim 
-went on bc but I got a blood clot so I CANNOT take bc 
-NOW: I am currently 3.5 weeks into the acne.org regimen and my skin is constantly dry and it has only gotten worse. I get painful breakouts around my mouth all the time. I am also on doxycycline. 

I just don't know what to do about my skin. I know that it is still early in my acne.org regimen but it is very disheartening to see my skin breaking out much worse now than it did before I started. I want to try everything I can before going on accutane because I really don't want to have to take it. It is very hard feeling like I have no power over my skin. This is especially magnified in college when you are constantly surrounded by people.

What suggestions do you guys have for a girl who is just done with breaking out and has tried quite an extensive amount of products? I just don't know where to go next.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/12/2017 4:21 pm

The regimen apparently breaks you out after a period of time.then its suposed to clear,the skin purging.

dont pick or touch your skin.

i would get back to the dr and ask for oral anti biotic.
:)

MemberMember
(@pohai21)

Posted : 11/12/2017 7:53 pm

I know how you feel. Going through college, and life in general, with acne is really hard. Has your dermatologist ever suggested Spironolactone? It's an oral prescriptionmedication that helps with hormonal acne. I LOVE it! It really helped reduce my excessive oil. It helped a little with my acne but didn't completely clear it. Just a couple of months ago I also started using aloe hand sanitizer on my face. I use it after I wash and before I moisturize. I have been shocked how well it has worked! I haven't had any new major breakouts since I started using it. Both Spironolactone and aloe hand sanitizer have really improved my skin and I finally have control over my acne (after 15+ years of moderate acne and 3 rounds of Accutane).

MemberMember
(@draci)

Posted : 11/12/2017 9:31 pm

5 hours ago, swinks said:

What suggestions do you guys have for a girl who is just done with breaking out and has tried quite an extensive amount of products? I just don't know where to go next.

apparently many things that cure acne make it worse initially. Avoiding all carbohydrates and dairy products seems to work. But don't expect results earlier than 3 or 4 months.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/13/2017 3:34 am

@swinksAre you currently taking any anti-inflammatory pills like aspirin? You really should, if not already. Otherwise you risk scarring. Take 2 pills of aspirin or advil and also apply analgesic cream (Vaporub works fine too). Acne will be much easier to manage once you rein in the inflammation.

Moreover, I believe you should consider stopping antibiotics. You're likely becoming resistant to them.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 11/13/2017 4:20 am

Well, if nothing has worked, you can try isotretinoin.

MemberMember
(@onemanwarrior34)

Posted : 11/13/2017 11:11 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sucks. I've been there too. Stay positive! The best advise I can give to you of what I'm doing that works for me. Here's my link https://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/373563-my-story-and-what-i-did/ I hope this helps. Don't let acne win, stay strong, it gets better!

MemberMember
(@friesian)

Posted : 11/15/2017 7:09 pm

I would suggest a diet change and temporarily halting whatever products youre using because sometimes these start to make acne worse at a certain point.

I started drinking mostly only water and eating only fresh meats and veggies, sometimes fruits, and completely cut all grains, sugars, and dairy. And any prepackaged, processed foods. My face cleared up within a couple months, but in about the first two weeks I was no longer a walking oil slick and I started to see changes. I found out later that Im allergic to grains and sensitive to sugars and dairy. Just instead of not being able to breathe like someone allergic to nuts, I just turn into the monster from the black lagoon.