Notifications
Clear all

What to do when accutane doesn't work??

MemberMember
(@lexi1234)

Posted : 07/07/2017 10:35 pm

I was on a second course of accutane for 7 months and I saw no improvement, only my acne got worse. What other options are there to treat acne that is effective?

MemberMember
(@tgan15)

Posted : 07/08/2017 6:54 pm

I'm in the same boat.. Do you have comedonal acne? That's what I have and it seems like the hardest to get rid of

MemberMember
(@maisie89)

Posted : 07/10/2017 8:31 am

On 7/8/2017 at 4:35 AM, lexi1234 said:

I was on a second course of accutane for 7 months and I saw no improvement, only my acne got worse. What other options are there to treat acne that is effective?

Hi Lexi, Sometimes when Accutane doesn't seem to be working and your female, your acne could be hormonal. Have you looked into spironolactone? I did 2 Accutane courses also and found I was still breaking out so I tried spiro and used it in conjuction with retin a.25& (topical Accutane) and I found that did the trick. Spiro blocks the effects of testosterone onthe skin, testosterone is responsible for us producing excess sebum etc. Definitely check out some reviews on it, my derm never told me about it but I found some people on here saying it worked wonders for them. It does take a good 6 months to kick in but I found it amazing for my skin

MemberMember
(@lexi1234)

Posted : 07/13/2017 10:42 pm

On 7/10/2017 at 9:31 AM, Maisie89 said:
On 7/7/2017 at 11:35 PM, lexi1234 said:

Hi Lexi, Sometimes when Accutane doesn't seem to be working and your female, your acne could be hormonal. Have you looked into spironolactone? I did 2 Accutane courses also and found I was still breaking out so I tried spiro and used it in conjuction with retin a.25& (topical Accutane) and I found that did the trick. Spiro blocks the effects of testosterone onthe skin, testosterone is responsible for us producing excess sebum etc. Definitely check out some reviews on it, my derm never told me about it but I found some people on here saying it worked wonders for them. It does take a good 6 months to kick in but I found it amazing for my skin

I have always thought that it could be my hormones, so I will talk to my derm about it. It seemed that my breakouts were always on my chin, but once I started BC there aren't any. However, I'm starting to breakout on my cheeks. Would that also relate to hormones?

On 7/8/2017 at 7:54 PM, Tgan15 said:

I'm in the same boat.. Do you have comedonal acne? That's what I have and it seems like the hardest to get rid of

I have very few comedones. Right now I'm dealing with inflamed red pimples on my cheeks and discoloration/scarring

MemberMember
(@maisie89)

Posted : 07/14/2017 2:23 am

3 hours ago, lexi1234 said:
I have always thought that it could be my hormones, so I will talk to my derm about it. It seemed that my breakouts were always on my chin, but once I started BC there aren't any. However, I'm starting to breakout on my cheeks. Would that also relate to hormones? I have very few comedones. Right now I'm dealing with inflamed red pimples on my cheeks and discoloration/scarring

Yes mine was always on my chin/cheeks as well so it's probably hormonal for you as well. Don't get me wrong Accutane can clear hormonal acne but the chances of it coming back are extremely high. Definitely speak to your derm about spiro and retin a... they work great for hormonal breakouts - you just need to be patient with them and give them time to kick in:)

MemberMember
(@lexi1234)

Posted : 07/14/2017 9:26 am

7 hours ago, Maisie89 said:
10 hours ago, lexi1234 said:
I have always thought that it could be my hormones, so I will talk to my derm about it. It seemed that my breakouts were always on my chin, but once I started BC there aren't any. However, I'm starting to breakout on my cheeks. Would that also relate to hormones? I have very few comedones. Right now I'm dealing with inflamed red pimples on my cheeks and discoloration/scarring

Yes mine was always on my chin/cheeks as well so it's probably hormonal for you as well. Don't get me wrong Accutane can clear hormonal acne but the chances of it coming back are extremely high. Definitely speak to your derm about spiro and retin a... they work great for hormonal breakouts - you just need to be patient with them and give them time to kick in:)

Thanks so much for your advice!!!!

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 07/14/2017 11:49 pm

On July 8, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Tgan15 said:

Hi, i did 7 months of accutane for comedonal acne and it did squat, still in the same boat. I've tried everything though don't know what else to try