Notifications
Clear all

Life after acne

MemberMember
(@rishabhtatiraju)

Posted : 09/03/2017 2:08 pm

Congrats for being acne free. I'm hoping to achieve the same after the ongoing treatment. Fingers crossed.

I have been acne-free in the past. My father's family has a history of severe acne so it was no surprise when I go it by age 13. Back then not many of the people around me got them, and I was seen differently sometimes. They all eventually caught up with my condition.

After a round of BP and Clindamycin, I had acne-free skin for about 4 months. Life was better. Teenage spirit required attention and I got for a while from others. Then one fine day the dreaded thing returned and never left. Since then everyday I have counted the number of zits and they average about 8 at a time.

Lately I've started developing cystic acne, which stay for weeks at a time. Now I'm 21 and I didn't want this to continue into adulthood, so I decided to visit the dermatologist for good. I'll be soon put on isotrentin since I currently have very severe acne. I'm hoping for the best.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 09/04/2017 7:00 am

16 hours ago, rishabhtatiraju said:

Congrats for being acne free. I'm hoping to achieve the same after the ongoing treatment. Fingers crossed.

I have been acne-free in the past. My father's family has a history of severe acne so it was no surprise when I go it by age 13. Back then not many of the people around me got them, and I was seen differently sometimes. They all eventually caught up with my condition.

After a round of BP and Clindamycin, I had acne-free skin for about 4 months. Life was better. Teenage spirit required attention and I got for a while from others. Then one fine day the dreaded thing returned and never left. Since then everyday I have counted the number of zits and they average about 8 at a time.

Lately I've started developing cystic acne, which stay for weeks at a time. Now I'm 21 and I didn't want this to continue into adulthood, so I decided to visit the dermatologist for good. I'll be soon put on isotrentin since I currently have very severe acne. I'm hoping for the best.

It all came back at once? I stopped breaking out for the past few days but idk if it was a one off or ill continue to break out

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 09/28/2017 3:23 am

Update: Clearrrrrr Whoop!!! i've researched and ive found that people who pass the 6month mark said their acne did not return. hope thats true

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 09/28/2017 4:47 pm

I would say that's partially true. The intensity of break outs are definitely not what they used to be in my late teen to very early 20's. It seemed then like once a few popped up within a week or more its like there was a rebellion that would spread to the other side of my face or back or scalp. Not sure why. But there was a point at which it started becoming under control and a period i had no breakouts at all for a long time, but it does come back now and again but nothing nothing in comparison to before. So while some may say it doesn't return I'm going to vouch for more of a conservative answer by saying it may come back but nothing like before.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 10/05/2017 1:11 am

I just had three zits pop up together. I am having my period in 2 weeks time. Ive realized a pattern. I break out 2-1 week before my period. Before going on the pill it was all the time, but now i see a pattern.

Any advice to prevent breaking out before my period? (not looking for vitamins or returning to the pill)

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 10/06/2017 8:20 am

If you're not looking for vitamins or pill then I really don't know.. You really can't fight biology. However, you may be able to experiment to see if what you eat two weeks before your period affects the outcome? People talk gluten free, insulin resistance, low carb etc. as a way to control hormone fluctuations therefore indirectly control break outs. May be worth a try

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 10/25/2017 3:07 am

UPDATE: omfg im not exaggerating my skin is crazy breaking out. Its worse than it was pre birth control. Im seeing my doctor tomorrow and im going to ask what i can go on that has the same affect as yasmin, but not birth control. Any advice? have been looking into spironolactone.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 10/30/2017 5:18 am

omfg i sound like a hypocrite from my original post on this topic and how im just gonna 'live' with acne and it wont bother me anymore. Well, i said that when i was clear lol.

Im going back on the pill even if i gain weight or have long term side effects lol idc anymore

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/08/2017 3:39 am

first week on the pill. lol.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 11/08/2017 4:05 am

25 minutes ago, Chloe123 said:

A very realistic thread lol.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/08/2017 5:44 am

1 hour ago, eternalrocket said:
2 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

A very realistic thread lol.

LOL. Omfg i really wish it didnt come to this hahaha

MemberMember
(@acnelondon)

Posted : 11/08/2017 7:41 am

@Chloe123 I'm sorry to see your skin didn't stay clear - though I hate to say as I was reading this thread I had a feeling that would be the case. 
I was on dianette for 6 months aged 17 and my skin was really clear and I don't recall worrying about it or anything during this time. Then because of high risk of blood clots on this particular pill I had to switch to a different combined pill and ever since my skin has never managed to clear up to how I would like it, and when it has it has been very brief. I'm now 21 and on the pill and using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid wash and still don't know what the cause of my acne is as I get flare ups all over my face. I hope this isn't the case for you but just saying that leaving your teenage years really isn't a fix for most people with acne prone skin, and for many women it can persist for years due to our fluctuating hormones and the pill is one of the only real ways to control this so stick with it! Hope you see improvements soon :)

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/08/2017 6:32 pm

10 hours ago, acnelondon said:
@Chloe123 I'm sorry to see your skin didn't stay clear - though I hate to say as I was reading this thread I had a feeling that would be the case. 
I was on dianette for 6 months aged 17 and my skin was really clear and I don't recall worrying about it or anything during this time. Then because of high risk of blood clots on this particular pill I had to switch to a different combined pill and ever since my skin has never managed to clear up to how I would like it, and when it has it has been very brief. I'm now 21 and on the pill and using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid wash and still don't know what the cause of my acne is as I get flare ups all over my face. I hope this isn't the case for you but just saying that leaving your teenage years really isn't a fix for most people with acne prone skin, and for many women it can persist for years due to our fluctuating hormones and the pill is one of the only real ways to control this so stick with it! Hope you see improvements soon :)

What pill are you on now? im also freaking out over blood clots.

MemberMember
(@acnelondon)

Posted : 11/09/2017 8:43 am

My pill is called Levest (its a combo of ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel I believe and lots of brands make the exact same pill just with a different name e.g Cileste) and the risk of blood clots are pretty low on this one. When I last saw my GP she said that if I change to a different pill I have to think about whether the risk of blood clots is worth it for 'perfect' skin - but this was during my good week of skin and at the moment anything seems worth it to improve my skin :( Dianette has really great outcomes but higher risk of blood clots and poor mental health effects which is a serious downside.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 12/03/2017 5:38 pm

i just finished my first pill pack and my skin is clear again and my marks from my previous breakouts healing. Happy about my skin but all the side effects i had last time from the pill have returned omfg idk what to do

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 01/08/2018 5:15 pm

forgot to update but im half way through my third pill pack and my skin is perfect. Havent broken out for a month. Im so fucking happy. The bad thing is though that ive gained a pound :( i am always hungry. Trying my hardest to lose weight.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 01/09/2018 5:34 am

I was like you once I got clear. No worries when I woke up to obsess in the mirror for like 1 hour a day. Stopped worrying about face washes with bad ingredients, put whatever on my face. It was great. Now relapsing has put me back to square 1. This time I'll be more careful.

MemberMember
(@micala)

Posted : 01/09/2018 12:45 pm

On 12/3/2017 at 5:38 PM, Chloe123 said:

i just finished my first pill pack and my skin is clear again and my marks from my previous breakouts healing. Happy about my skin but all the side effects i had last time from the pill have returned omfg idk what to do

On 12/3/2017 at 5:38 PM, Chloe123 said:

Dear chloe,seems like you have hormonal acne. Why dont you try turmeric face mask. You wont need bc pills.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 01/10/2018 7:06 am

On 1/9/2018 at 8:34 PM, jPablo said:

I was like you once I got clear. No worries when I woke up to obsess in the mirror for like 1 hour a day. Stopped worrying about face washes with bad ingredients, put whatever on my face. It was great. Now relapsing has put me back to square 1. This time I'll be more careful.

lol im back to my old self and i dont wash my face and im eating shit. its so bad.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 01/15/2018 6:46 am

Update: so im back lol. I've been so careless and busy the past few days that i missed like 5 pills. I woke up with a cyst on my jawline (ive never had a zit there).

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 02/28/2018 6:27 am

Update if anyone even cares lol. Im clear again. Looks like i have to be on the pill for the rest of my life. Im taking vitamin D and fish oil to reduce my blood clot risk

jPablo liked
MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 04/27/2018 3:53 am

its been ages! Im off the pill again. ive talked to my doc and she said its okay to come off every few months and go back on it to give my body a break (aka lose some weight). skin has been fine.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 05/18/2018 7:39 am

lol breaking out again

MemberMember
(@pintador)

Posted : 05/23/2018 11:29 am

I just discovered this thread. It sucks that you don't seem to find a consistent solution for your skin.

I have battled with acne for years and I have tried so many treatments including supplements, diets, working out/not working out but this is by far what helped me the most. Not only does this diet improve your skin but it also helps you lose weight if that is something you are struggling with. It seems like you, alike myself, have tried a lot of different treatments but here is something I am doing:

I am not sure if it is a coincidence or if it is actually working. I completely eliminated carbohydrates from my diet which means I solely eat protein, fat and vegetables. I used to get breakouts on weekly basis but since I started this diet about 5 months ago - NOTHING. I was really against stuffing myself full with all the fat because I thought it would cause me to breakout but it really has profoundly improved my skin. I also drink a lot of water every day and green tea. I guess any tea is fine as long as it contains a lot of antioxidants but green tea is my cup of tea. ;)

Another thing that might be worth adding is that speaking from my own experience I have also noticed how big of a role psychology has in my skin. Days when I am sitting at home, bored, I will worry about my skin and spend a lot of time scrutinizing my face for new breakouts. This compared to when I, for instance, am on vacation and I am active all day and I don't have time to spend all this time in front of the mirror I will see visible results in just a week.

How is your skin this week?