Notifications
Clear all

Acne Help

MemberMember
(@allyjk)

Posted : 02/22/2017 12:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so I want to apologize in advance if this topic doesn't go here. I'm at the point with my acne where I'm at a loss of what to do. For a little bit of background, I've always had good skin. Never any pimples, redness, nothing. Then, near the end of highschool I started to get pimples on my cheek. There would always be one pimple and as soon as it cleared another would show up instantly. It wasn't really a big deal but was a minor annoyance. Slowly, it became two pimples at once. When I graduated in July I moved to Vancouver, BC to attend college. That's when it got bad. It seemed as if every week I had a new pimple and now it's becoming everyday. 

I don't eat great but I definitely stay away from fast food and junk foods high in sugar. A lot of people keep suggesting that It's from stress although if I'm completely honest I don't feel too much stress. I only have school in the city 3 times a week, and am not currently working or anything. I do smoke which has been a worry but I'm wondering if it could be this bad over that? 

As for skincare routines, I was previously using an acne face wash but was told it was too harsh because my face felt tight afterwards. I switched to a clarifying foam wash (Drops of Light from The Body Shop) which I use every night. I'll go in with my aloe moisterizer afterwards and some zit cream on whichever pimples are worse. Then, in the morning, I'll rinse my skin with warm water and apply a vitamin c moisterizer. 

Any help or advice is much, much appreciated. Even suggestions for certain treatments? Thank-you all so much for your time! image1 (2).JPG

MemberMember
(@puresunburn)

Posted : 03/27/2017 3:20 pm

anyone??

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/29/2017 12:27 am

Hi Ally,

I'm also new to the forum but I think I can help. Unfortunately I I've already been on here for 4 hours so I will have to reply later. Sorry. My responses can be quite in depth.

MemberMember
(@puresunburn)

Posted : 03/29/2017 8:55 pm

Okay! Let me know asap. I just got a new white head in between my eyebrows and two on the tip of my nose today :( A lot of them have become blackheads as well. 

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 12:07 am

Ok, sorry for the delay. I've had another read of your situation and I'll make a few comments.

Firstly, stress can mean many things, not just external pressure. Worrying about your skin, sleep deprivation, malnutrition (as in not enough good foods), definitely smoking! can all cause stress on your body, subsequent cortisol increases and then a plethora of reactive changes. So you're aware that those areas could be improved. Based on your level of acne I think you could rid yourself by changing this alone..Butsometimes that's not wholly practical, for instance, quitting smoking will cause you more psychological stress (short-term) so maybe, try something else first, but still try to quit smoking later.

Whoever told you that your acne cleanser was too harsh was spot on. If you are getting a tight feeling after using it then you are significantly stripping your skin. The one that you have changed to, I just had a look.. It's not bad, but I think you could try something with a bit more of an oil base to it. Just remember oil based products, as long as they use the right oils, will not make your skin oily and they will nourish a lot better than anything else. So I would switch to an organic oil base cleanser (avoiding mineral oil, canola/vegetable oils, synthetic lanolin, cocoa butter, parabens or petroleum products).

I think that would probably be enough to do it. You can also look at using a glycolic base cleanser every 3 days and a glycolic night serum every second night. Both glycolic and good, natural organic oil based products will assist with clearing you congestion also. The best thing to break down oil is oil. Everything else must strip (subsequently irritate)the skin to even have a chance at clearing solidified sebum out of your pores.

Anyway, try that, give it a chance. If you want more info, ask, or google oil cleansing, acid mantle or skin ph balance and have a read of what you find.

Good luck!