Notifications
Clear all

Nothing I've tried is working

MemberMember
(@nothing-too-yah)

Posted : 01/11/2017 6:43 pm

Here is my journey and everything you need to know about me. Please help me out guys. If anybody has similar experience with similar skin, I would greatly appreciate it. <3

SKIN TYPE: Sensitive, (Very) Acne-prone, Oily Skin, Seasonal Acne. 
-My skin loves the summer and I barely breakout during the summer. My skin seems extremely less sensitive in the summer. I only use a cerave wash and cetaphil facial lotion in the summer and I'm good. Once Fall hits, I start breaking out crazily and my skin seems to break out over everything. Invested in a humidifier this winter, but doesn't seem to make a big impact.

BREAKOUT AREAS: Jawline, under jawline, so much under my chin, on cheeks closer to hairline not so much near nose.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:

• Doxycyline hyclate 100mg W/ tretinoin - worked when i took it for once a week but when increased to 2 a day started breaking out again so derm told me to stop and suggested accutane but mom doesn't want it.
  • Vitamin D pills - didn't see a crazy improvement for the week I did it, but trying it again now. Taking 2000mg 3 times a day.
  • Birth Control - been on it for 3 years for PCOS and acne was manageable but still had to wear makeup everyday to cover up scars. Didn't wanna be on it anymore and when i stopped was around February 2015, my skin was sooo clear. Didn't have to wear makeup anymore. When September hit, my face blew up and this process repeated this year. 
  • Oil Cleansing Method - I've tried tea tree oil, grape seed oil, rosehip seed oil, orange oil, and coconut oil. They all make my skin break out more. Extra virgin olive oil seems like the only one that my skin is kinda okay with but doesn't really make a significant impact. Just good for taking off makeup. 
  • Going to endocrinologist: Wanted to get my hormones checked because I've seen that the acne I have is hormonal especially with my PCOS putting my hormones out of wack (supposedly), my hormones are all fine -_- 

CURRENT REGIMEN:
At night: Cerave foaming wash with cetaphil facial lotion
In morning: Wash with water, put primer and sunscreen, then put a face full of makeup to cover up scars.

MemberMember
(@sararey)

Posted : 01/11/2017 7:21 pm

Have you tried Spironolactone? I had my hormones checked too and they were normal, but Spiro is the ONLY thing that has helped. NO Initial Breakout either. Birth control pills alone were not enough for me. I had tried all of the topicals too.
Let me know if you have questions about it...
Warm Regards

MemberMember
(@nothing-too-yah)

Posted : 01/11/2017 8:35 pm

@sarareyis this prescribed and how can I get my doctor to prescribe this for me? Do i just ask? Also, how long did it take for you to see improvement?

MemberMember
(@sararey)

Posted : 01/14/2017 3:58 pm

Sorry I am just getting back to you, I just saw your question! I think the only ones who know enough aboutSpironolactone are Dermatologists, my GP knew nothing about it. I would call your Derm and ask. If they won't prescribe it, call and get an appointment with another that will. Of course, they will examine you to make sure they think this is a hormonal problem and is appropriate for you. Spiro only works on acne for hormonal reasons, it blocks androgens. I think that some are reluctant to prescribe it because it is an oral medication. But, it caused me WAY less problems/side effects than any of the topicals. I do sometimes get dehydrated looking skin from Spirowhen I don't drink enoughwater. I hate Retin A, that stuffdestroyed my skin, but that is another story.
I noticed less greasy skin and hair within a week and no new clogged pores. After that my skin just got better and better. I had no Initial Breakout as others have. All of my clogged pores went through the usual get infected, make my life miserable, then go away routine. But nothing out of the ordinary. I have been on it for about 6 months now, but the acne was much improved by month 3.Now, my skin and hair are no longer really oily. I am probably 95% clearer than I was. Only occasional clogged pores/pimples that are MUCH SMALLER. I am very happy with it. Also, be sure read others reviews of it.
Let me know if you have any more questions... Good luck!!!

On 1/11/2017 at 8:35 PM, Nothing Too Yah said:
@sarareyis this prescribed and how can I get my doctor to prescribe this for me? Do i just ask? Also, how long did it take for you to see improvement?
MemberMember
(@madmarsdesign)

Posted : 01/14/2017 4:03 pm

Check out[activated bamboo charcoal soap]! A whole community loves this soap and it works!

MemberMember
(@nina235)

Posted : 01/14/2017 4:51 pm

Hi I just joined acne.org today and just watched a YouTube video that talks about how this amino acid l-lysine helps with acne so thought I'd put this suggestion out there I haven't tried it yet but hoping to try it soon.

MemberMember
(@nothing-too-yah)

Posted : 01/19/2017 12:49 am

I got it! It was very simple. I just called my derm and they just prescribed it to me, didn't even need to go in to see her. I'm currently on Day 3 and I feel pretty good about it. I didn't get any crazy breakouts and I finally got my period after two months of not having it due to doxy messing with my body so bad. I want to say I see improvements but I don't wanna jinx it. I'm really excited with this medication. THanks so much for recommending!

On 1/14/2017 at 3:58 PM, sararey said:

Sorry I am just getting back to you, I just saw your question! I think the only ones who know enough aboutSpironolactone are Dermatologists, my GP knew nothing about it. I would call your Derm and ask. If they won't prescribe it, call and get an appointment with another that will. Of course, they will examine you to make sure they think this is a hormonal problem and is appropriate for you. Spiro only works on acne for hormonal reasons, it blocks androgens. I think that some are reluctant to prescribe it because it is an oral medication. But, it caused me WAY less problems/side effects than any of the topicals. I do sometimes get dehydrated looking skin from Spirowhen I don't drink enoughwater. I hate Retin A, that stuffdestroyed my skin, but that is another story.
I noticed less greasy skin and hair within a week and no new clogged pores. After that my skin just got better and better. I had no Initial Breakout as others have. All of my clogged pores went through the usual get infected, make my life miserable, then go away routine. But nothing out of the ordinary. I have been on it for about 6 months now, but the acne was much improved by month 3.Now, my skin and hair are no longer really oily. I am probably 95% clearer than I was. Only occasional clogged pores/pimples that are MUCH SMALLER. I am very happy with it. Also, be sure read others reviews of it.
Let me know if you have any more questions... Good luck!!!

MemberMember
(@sararey)

Posted : 01/21/2017 1:43 pm

On 1/19/2017 at 0:49 AM, Nothing Too Yah said:

I got it! It was very simple. I just called my derm and they just prescribed it to me, didn't even need to go in to see her. I'm currently on Day 3 and I feel pretty good about it. I didn't get any crazy breakouts and I finally got my period after two months of not having it due to doxy messing with my body so bad. I want to say I see improvements but I don't wanna jinx it. I'm really excited with this medication. THanks so much for recommending!

You bet!Please keep me posted on your progress, I would love to hear how it goes!!!

MemberMember
(@nothing-too-yah)

Posted : 01/25/2017 6:40 pm

On 1/21/2017 at 1:43 PM, sararey said:
You bet! Please keep me posted on your progress, I would love to hear how it goes!!!

I'm a week and a half in I've been breaking out :/ I got prescribed 50mg a day but I'm waiting it out to see if it'll pass because I've read there's an initial breakout period. I've read that it's better to take it in the morning and it's better to take two doses of 50mg a day one in the morning and one at night? 

MemberMember
(@sararey)

Posted : 01/26/2017 7:46 pm

On Ž1Ž/Ž25Ž/Ž2017 at 6:40 PM, Nothing Too Yah said:
I'm a week and a half in I've been breaking out :/ I got prescribed 50mg a day but I'm waiting it out to see if it'll pass because I've read there's an initial breakout period. I've read that it's better to take it in the morning and it's better to take two doses of 50mg a day one in the morning and one at night? 

I am sorry to hear that you are breaking out. Yes, I would take it in the morning only. I started out on 50mg in the morning as well, then increased to 100mg in the morning about 1 month later (which I could not tolerate- got very dehydrated), then decreased to 75mg in the morning, I stayed at this dose for many months. I just recently dropped back down to 50mg in the morning and so far, so good. I never had an Initial Breakout like I have read that others have. But, all of the clogged pores that I already had still became inflamed pimples, there is just nothing that you can do about that. I didn't have less inflamed spots for at least 2 months. The real improvement that I saw in the first 3 months was many less new clogged pores emerging.  And less clogged pores means less inflamed pimples later on. Also, my skin/hair was much less greasy.
Are you seeing less oily skin yet? Are you breaking out more than before? Try not to worry too much because unfortunately, it takes some time...

Hey, I just reread your original post and wanted to mention that Vitamin D Supplements have broken me out in weird places that I don't usually get acne, like cystic spots on my nose. I started Vitamin D 1000IU three times a day because my Vitamin D Level was 8! Every time I started to take those supplements I would get these really unusual pimples, so I would stop and wait for them to go away, then I would start again and WHAM! more weird pimples. I did this like 6 or 7 times and finally gave up. I don't know what to make of it, but I tried multiple brands even, all with the same result.