Notifications
Clear all

Thankful for Acne?

MemberMember
(@libsy)

Posted : 12/12/2016 2:11 am

I'm currently on my 6th month of Accutane, going good, scars are still pretty vivid but the amount of pimples has decreased greatly. As my skin gets better, I started to think of some of the things that I am now thankful for, in terms of my acne. I've had it pretty bad for four years straight and would still give anything to have never had it at all, but just thinking positively, these are some of those things:

• Learning to apply makeup: After around 3 years of covering these suckers up everyday for school, I learnt A LOT about colour correction, coverage of beauty products and which combinations of products works best with my skin via trial and error. A lot of makeup artists that have always had perfect skin can often be clueless when it comes to covering acne/scars, which I like to think gives me a little advantage in the field ;)
  • Speaking Up: I kept my insecurities over my skin from my mum (who is a beauty therapist) for a long time, trying to show that it didn't bother me. In the end, I was only prolonging the pain and I was thankful for the moment when I finally asked to go on Doxy, Differin and then finally Accutane. Each time was difficult, as we are quite a jokey pair who don't get too deep very often, but its made it a lot easier to talk about other personal things with her (aka mental health, relationship issues, friend issues)
  • Youthful skin: I have dry skin now, thanks to 'tane, but generally I have oily skin. This gives my skin, when its not all pimply, quite a youthful look and I'm yet to get many lines or wrinkles except for under my eyes (yay sleep deprivation). Yay for this :))
  • Tougher Skin: As everyone suffering from acne knows on here, its tough to love yourself at times. Especially when the things on your face are completely out of your control. Its made me appreciate other features of myself, instead of focusing all my attention on my hormonal skin. I'll do up my eyes, my eyebrows, do a bright lip and learn to appreciate one face feature at a time.
  • Learning that Perfect Skin is Not Everything: The whole time that my acne was at its worst, I kept saying to myself 'If only I had perfect skin, everyone will want me/want to be friends with me'. And as my skin got better, and basically looked flawless with the help of makeup, this was still not the case. Its more to do with the way you carry yourself, talk to others and how your personality matches others. Flawless skin is lovely to have, can give you a lot of confidence and there will be some people who will find it desirable but ultimately, it will rarely be a 'make or break' moment in a relationship/friendship. It also isn't the answer to everything.

Please add any of yours in the comments below! I'm curious to read! :)))

annab24 liked
MemberMember
(@annab24)

Posted : 12/12/2016 4:49 pm

Love the positivity girl, so true about thinking clear skin is the key to everything because it may seem like it is the only thing holding you back but we often find ourselves letting it define who we are. Also I have had covered all my acne every day before school as well and have learned some crazy techniques along the way.

Libsy liked