coffee

MemberMember
(@e-e-2)

Posted : 11/13/2016 5:58 am

i have noticed coffee increases the severity of zits for me anyone experience the same?

any theories as to why this happens?

MemberMember
(@hol230199)

Posted : 11/13/2016 8:59 am

I have also experienced that! I first noticed it when I went on holiday in the summer and didn't drink coffee for 2 weeks. My chin and cheeks looked a whole lot clearer but weren't totally clear. I read that the caffeine messes up your hormones so I think thats why :)

MemberMember
(@clareabella)

Posted : 11/13/2016 9:33 am

Coffee is bad for your skin one of the reasons I stopped drinking it. There is a quick explanation here that I found on google:

"While we can sing coffee's praises as a laxative, it is a diuretic, and losing hydration has a direct effect on skin. Dehydrated skin causes inflammation (redness) and premature aging (collagen loss). And without enough water flushing your system, toxic buildup in the skin can also cause acne"
MemberMember
(@e-e-2)

Posted : 11/13/2016 9:51 pm

i have read that coffee flushes fat from the liver which can increases serum free fatty acids which screws up insulin sensitivity temporarily until the body can clear the excess fat from the blood.

theoretically this will cause temporary insulin resistance but in the long run has the potential to cure fatty liver and prevent diabetes.... but the cost is an acne flare up initially.....

i know the laxative effect comes from the release of bile which stimulates peristalsis. this fits with the 'flush fat from liver' theory that ive read on some other forums.

there are other theories but this is what makes the most sense to me

i love coffee so much. the smell, the taste and the way it makes me feel.

MemberMember
(@woahshay)

Posted : 11/14/2016 11:03 pm

I FEEL YOU! I AM LIKE A COFFEE ADDICTED!
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/364285-my-story-do-not-ever-lose-hope-picutures/

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/15/2016 10:21 am

Coffee & tea make me break out tooooo.
I notice everytime I using them, not much but just a cup.
May be caffeine is the problem.

My advice:
- Take herbal tea instead
- Drink water instead
- Experiment with decaffeinate coffee or tea and see what happen.

MemberMember
(@woahshay)

Posted : 11/15/2016 1:42 pm

3 hours ago, shmilyM said:

Coffee & tea make me break out tooooo. 
I notice everytime I using them, not much but just a cup. 
May be caffeine is the problem.

My advice: 
- Take herbal tea instead
- Drink water instead
- Experiment with decaffeinate coffee or tea and see what happen.

Yeah Coffee and especially green tea is not good for me! I'm not a tea person so it's good. And I am slowly cutting out coffee! (:

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/15/2016 2:00 pm

No kidding...I am ADDICTED to coffee. I love it. In the past (back when I had the occasional zit--one or two with Aunt Flo) I would regularly "detox" from coffee...whenever my intake started to increase, I would back off of it and go without for a few weeks. I haven't done that in a long time...the last year or so it's gotten even worse, since I moved right next to the coffee room at work.
Recent investigation has enlightened me...it may be a contributor. I decided just this week that it's time to do a severe weaning to get off of the coffee. I will let you know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/15/2016 9:06 pm

Coffee *sigh*, there are many things I would lke to experience too, eating instant noodles, junk foods, drinking every single type of tea in thea afternoon...etc
Sadly, you should know the line between what want to do & what should do....

For the addicted, lower the dose slowly, like drink 200 ML, 300 ML everyday then 150 ML everyday, then 100 ML, then 50 ML. Replace coffee with fruit juice, other herbal teas...

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 12/09/2016 5:00 pm

Coffee didn't seem to bother me at all or cause acne one way or the other, but I also drank like 2 gallons of water a day so it is likely that any caffeine or anything in the coffee was diluted immediately