Notifications
Clear all

Bad acne, boils on body as a man in mid life?

MemberMember
(@breathdeep)

Posted : 10/30/2016 6:25 pm

I thought I would share a recent experience with severe acne like boils I had on my trunk (chest and back) and what an infectious disease doctor found. He lanced one of the whiteheads and I was carrying an over abundance of staphylococcus aureus on my skin, nose, mouth, etc.

It isn't uncommon to have this pathogen on our skin in moderation but can become your worst nightmare if your immune system doesn't keep them in check.

Medications like hydrocortisone lower your immune response for example. There are so many drugs that will do this I can't list them all so check with your pharmacist or dermatologist.

To treat this you must decolonize your entire body for 3 weeks. This includes an antibiotic for a weeks (Cephlexin), Liquid Vancomycin (Very strong antibiotic). oral wash,Hibiclens (strong anti-bacterial soap used prior to surgery to lower rates of MRSA=Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus),Pray you don't get MRSA, that is the "flesh eating" bacteria the media likes to hype but it is no joke. You have to wash your entire body and hair with hibiclens which isn't fun.
Swab Bactroban (Mupirocin, another topical antibiotic)in your nose, antibacterial soap (I choose Cetaphil AB and still use it and has done wonders for my skin, esp. face), wash your towels and wash cloth every day and sheets 2-3 days. Shower at night! It's a real pain in the ass but my case was bad.

They should swab and culture your mouth, nose, and lance a white head or boil to culture for staph before they put you through this hellish regimine.

I am happy to say that it has seemed to help/work however has left scars or dark pigmentation.

I am a mid-40's male and have to take medications that effect my immune system. Hopefully it will hold them at bay and they won't return in such numbers however they were so bad they have left scars.

Remember to ask about staph, the little critters live all over our bodies and when they get too abundant and you have a compromised immune system, this can happen at any age. I hope this helps someone else.