Notifications
Clear all

Skin "Purging": Fact or Myth?

MemberMember
(@sleepyhead93)

Posted : 09/06/2016 8:06 pm

Recently, I visited the dermatologist for some professional help with my acne, and before I get into my question let me provide some backstory and more info about what my dermatologist recommended for my treatment plan.

I am 22 years old, and have suffered from mild facial acne, and moderate/to somewhat severe body acne on the chest, back and shoulders, since I was a teen. I've tried pretty much everything, and my acne was either made worse or only improved temporarily.

My dermatologist diagnosed me with acne rosacea and oily combination skin, and recommended the Cerave line. My current treatment regimen is an AM and PM routine. Cerave cleanser in the AM, clindamycin lotion, and Cerave AM moisturizer.

My PM routine isCerave cleanser, Cerave body wash (for the shoulders, chest, and back), tretinoin cream .25%, the PM Ceravemoisturizer (face only), and then the Cerave lotion for the body.

Additionally, I have been prescribed Minocycline twice a day. She also recommended an OTC benzoyl peroxide wash that I use on my face, chest, shoulders, and back 3 times a week to start but can increase if my skin doesn't become too itchy.

I have used bothtretinoin andclindamycin before.

I have already noticed that my face is much smoother and not as dry as it usually has been in the past. I've also noticed that my skin doesn't feel tight after using any of the cleansing products.

My question is about skin "purging." As acne sufferers, we always hear people say "it's going to get worse before it gets better." I am noticing new blemishes (specifically more whiteheads) since starting this treatment (it hasn't even been a week yet). This not the first time I've experienced the appearance of new blemishes with an acne regimen, which leads me to believe there is such a thing where your skin purges all of the bad stuff from the beneath the surface. How true is this really though? Ironically, the pamphlet that came with the clindamycin does state that the user may notice acne getting worse before it improves.

If Cerave is so gentle and good for the skin, why would it cause me to break out though, or could it perhaps not be from the Cerave but simply theclindamycin? I've read mixed reviews about Cerave causing some people to breakout.

P.S. I'm not sure why Dan says not to use anything other than your hands when washing yourself. My dermatologist said there is no evidence that supports this claim. She even said I would be fine using a Clarisonicwith sensitive skin brush head.

Thanks!