Notifications
Clear all

Can't figure out the cause

MemberMember
(@danbeniels)

Posted : 07/19/2016 5:24 pm

Hi guys,

Am posting in the hope that somebody might be able to figure out the cause of my acne as I have been trying for ages and everything I pin it down on seems to not be it!!

I'm 19, male, live in London and have had acne on my face, chest and back since about the age of 13. I've tried a bunch of antibiotics and the doctor said the next step for me was roaccutane, but I'm trying to pursue alternatives from what sounds like a horrible drug.

I had perfectly clear skin earlier this year when I came back on holiday for three weeks in the Mediterranean area. Unlike I've ever had since it started. As soon as I came back home, the spots came back. My first immediate thought was the sun, and so I have been taking vitamin D tablets to compensate and, with summer around, been going out in the sun, but it seems to be getting worse! They dry out and scar, instead of going away in a few days like they did when I initially went away.

My diet doesn't significantly change at home from when away, I exercise every other day or so and walked every day for miles when away, and I try to spend a couple hours outside which I generally do. So I can't think of anything else that is happening different. I also sleep at least, but usually over, eight hours every night going to bed within the same hour and waking up within the same hour every day. I honestly don't know what it is anymore that is different.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Ben

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/20/2016 3:18 pm

Hi there, a few things pop into my mind, one is the sunlight and maybe if you were swimming...the ocean and pools can be good for acne.
Stress is another, you were probably not stressed on your vacation and I've heard a lot of people say they clear up on trips.
Another possibility is the water you use to shower, maybe your local water is hardor has pollutants If you suspect this try a water filter, they have ones for the whole system or ones just for your shower head.
In general I've been taking zinc and 800 MG's of vitamin C and using green tea and my skin is a lot better, but I'm also on hormonal meds so its hard to say if it would work for you.