Notifications
Clear all

Going on Vitamin D3 any advices?

MemberMember
(@bokrael)

Posted : 06/16/2016 10:30 am

Hey, Im 27 years old man. I got severe acne from more than 10 years. Ive tried all herbal pills, multivitamins, minerals, creams, soaps, gels and so on with no result. I cut out the milk products for 2 months with no result. I got perfect diet, dont smoke cigaretes, dont drink alchohol (at all). I got very oily skin and I think its the reason for my acne. When I wash my face I feel it clear few hours like its breathing and I dont have problems. When it gets oily I get pimples. I need to pickle it to remove the white hard root of that evil otherwise its getting bigger and bigger than it going out by itself. I read that vitamin D3 helps for regulate oily skin and I hope that it can help me. My question is am I need to put creams on my face for better result or I just need the vitamin and cleaning my face? Or may be combination with other vitamin? A or something else? Please help!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/16/2016 1:00 pm

Many people with acne are deficient in certain vitamins that are deeply connected with our bodies' inflammatory response, namely vitamin D3 (great for skin health!), zinc, omega 3, and even calcium. You could have your vitamin levels checked by your doctor, or just start supplementing and see if your skin improves. Expect to give it a good 2-3 months, vitamin therapy will not produce results right away, and does not work for everyone. So using a topical like BP at the same time if acne is out of control is often a good plan.

D3...1000 IU - 2000 IU are perfectly safe amounts. 5000 IU and up would require doctor supervision. 10,000 IU or more could be toxic for some people. The sun obviously is your best source but D3 is such a common deficiency that most everyone could do with a supplement.

Calcium...while many people avoid dairy to help their skin, letting calcium levels dip too low can trigger an inflammatory response. Consider drinking OJ with calcium or eating nondairy yogurt, or chewing a few calcium gummies each day (a delicious and fun alternative to pills!).

Zinc...many people with acne have low levels of zinc, which can trigger an inflammatory response. Adding 30-50 mgs of zinc gluconate is perfectly safe, and gluconate is the easiest to absorb. You can also meet that requirement by eating oysters. 50 mgs would be good for oily skin, so may be a good option for you. Anything over 50 mgs needs doctor supervision. 100 mgs enters the toxic range for some people, plus it's way too drying for skin.

Omega 3...powerful anti-inflammatory! Look for fish oil which will give you 1000 mgs of EPA omega 3 per day or better. Lower amounts won't give you enough EPA to be therapeutic. You may need to take 2 or more capsules to meet this. If there's not enough EPA in the fish oil, then put it back on the shelf. Look for high-potency formulas, they tend to offer the greatest concentration of EPA omega 3 so you can take the fewest number of capsules. Taking 3-5 or more per day would get very expensive!

Vitamin A...another powerful anti-inflammatory! And the key ingredient in Retin-A. 10,000 IU per day is optimal. Munching a few carrots each day and/or some cantaloupe are easy and delicious ways to boost your vitamin A! 

As far as topicals...the Acne.Org Regimen pairs very well with vitamin therapy. Both treatment options give you a dual line of defense against acne. The BP treatment kills acne bacteria from the outside and helps prevent future breakouts. And vitamin therapy helps calm inflammation internally, supporting clear skin. My son does both and his skin has never been clearer! |::)