Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Vs Regimen Advice Please!

MemberMember
(@hockeyplayer20)

Posted : 05/05/2016 1:07 am

I Am 16 male and I have been struggling with acne for probably 2. This start of the school year is when my acne got a lot worse and bad and the sides of my face mostly and on my back. I am now mostly dealing with scars and rough looking skin and white heads that come up . My doctor has given me the ok for Accutane but I would much rather use some other treatment that doesn't have as harsh side affects. Any advice? Thanks

MemberMember
(@nella)

Posted : 05/06/2016 6:37 pm

Since Accutane was taken off the market because of the side effects, I would not suggest anyone take it. I know the generics are still available but they're just as bad. I've heard horror stories of depression and the effects on the brain. Since you are only 16, there is a very good chance your acne will sort itself out when you are done with all the hormonal changes of teen years.
Have you tried diet changes? I would also consider checking for vitamin deficiencies or hormonal imbalances.
I suffer from adult acne. At the moment, my acne seems to be under control. I've been taking vitamin D supplements (My whole family is prone to a deficiency). I believe that part of my problem was from lacking in vitamin D. I also suffer from hormonal acne but it has been so much better since add the supplement.
It sounds like you don't have many active pimples? That's great! I don't think the Accutane will do anything for scars (but I could be wrong). If it's hyperpigmentation, that will go away on its own with time, but you can also do chemical peels to help heal the skin faster.

Good luck with everything.