Notifications
Clear all

Help! Constant scaly breakout between eyebrows and on forehead!

MemberMember
(@brittmreed)

Posted : 12/19/2015 12:50 pm

I have been dealing with the same awful breakout for years and I feel like I've tried everything, I'm so fed up and it's really effecting my life and self esteem. I basically have a constant cluster of deep pimples that cause daily whiteheads to form (small and yellow, green, or white) between my eyebrows and occassionally on my eyebrows. My forehead is now very bumpy as well now. The cluster is very angry, red, scaly, and hard to cover with makeup. It never completely goes away. I have hormonal acne on my jaw and around my mouth but it's not scaly and seems different. I can usually clear that up with other acne products. My skin is generally very dry actually with an oily t-zone sometimes.

I have tried TTO, Benzoyl Peroxide (seems to irritate me), honey, acv, otc fungal cream (maybe not the right one?), prescription clyndimicin, and some other home remedies. Nothing seems to clear it. Does anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations? I'm so desparate at this point. I should also metion that it got way worse when the weather got colder here. Is it possible any of these treatments would make it worse before it got better? I usually quit something if it doesn't seem even a tiny bit better the next day.

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 12/20/2015 5:38 am

You say TTO and BP doesn't work so that may indicate that it isn't bacterial. And whatever clears your hormonal breakouts doesn't effect your eyebrow breakouts. The scales may indicateperhaps some kind of exfoliation problem, either by the way your skin wants to act on its own accord or you aren't exfoliating properly. Perhaps try something exfoliativelike salicylic acid and some light manual removal with a cloth.

It could also be some lightseborrheic dermatitis, as that is often around the brows and 'crusty'. But seb derm usually responds well to anti-fungals and you have tried them so perhaps not. People on the boards have found dandruff shampoos like selsun blue successful for this.

Hmm you say the whiteheads are often yellow or green,are the scales crustysometimes golden in colour? The only other thing I can think of is a low grade staph infection, but very unlikely, you'd usually know if you had staph.

Maybe post some pics if you can so people can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

MemberMember
(@brittmreed)

Posted : 12/21/2015 12:14 pm

On 12/20/2015 204, AppleySauce said:

You say TTO and BP doesn't work so that may indicate that it isn't bacterial. And whatever clears your hormonal breakouts doesn't effect your eyebrow breakouts. The scales may indicateperhaps some kind of exfoliation problem, either by the way your skin wants to act on its own accord or you aren't exfoliating properly. Perhaps try something exfoliativelike salicylic acid and some light manual removal with a cloth.

It could also be some lightseborrheic dermatitis, as that is often around the brows and 'crusty'. But seb derm usually responds well to anti-fungals and you have tried them so perhaps not. People on the boards have found dandruff shampoos like selsun blue successful for this.

Hmm you say the whiteheads are often yellow or green,are the scales crustysometimes golden in colour? The only other thing I can think of is a low grade staph infection, but very unlikely, you'd usually know if you had staph.

Maybe post some pics if you can so people can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Thank you, those are very astute suggestions. I have thought that is could be a low grade staph infection, but first I think I'm going to treat with salicylic acid to see if that helps clear it. I bought and used the gentle stridez pads last night and I think it might be helping already. I will update soon,

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/21/2015 12:43 pm

This doesn't sound normal, it could be a case of folliculitis and not acne...I would visit your GP or a derm. Sounds like you might need some antibiotics to clear this, which itsounds like an infection to me... considering the color of the whiteheads, and how long you've been dealing with it. It could also be a yeast infection known as candida on the skin.

MemberMember
(@brittmreed)

Posted : 12/21/2015 8:33 pm

7 hours ago, CNA7 said:

This doesn't sound normal, it could be a case of folliculitis and not acne...I would visit your GP or a derm. Sounds like you might need some antibiotics to clear this, which itsounds like an infection to me... considering the color of the whiteheads, and how long you've been dealing with it. It could also be a yeast infection known as candida on the skin.

I agree, it totally doesn't seem normal and doesn't clear like the rest of my "normal" acne does. The problem is, like many of you, I have been to the derm and they were not much help. I was prescribed clindamycin and told it should clear up the acne...no offer to test it or anything, even with explanation of symptoms. Very frustrating seeing as the Clindamycin did not help, which to me makes me think it's not bacterial but I could be wrong. It sort of feels like an exfolitation problem with an underlying cause (yeast, fungus) so I'm going to see how the salycilic acid plays out for now. It's already helping more than other things I've tried.

MemberMember
(@brittmreed)

Posted : 12/22/2015 12:10 pm

Just an update, it's day 3 of the gentle salicylic acic stridex pads and a salycilic spot treatment. The area between my eyebrows is healing! I have no idea if it's just a coincidence but it's already alot better. The rest of my skin isn't great but at least that is hopefully clearing.