Notifications
Clear all

Acne and romantic relationships

MemberMember
(@primaryhour)

Posted : 10/07/2015 2:26 pm

Do you feel like having acne changes how how you feel when in a relationship?

MemberMember
(@xnicholemariex3)

Posted : 10/09/2015 9:45 pm

I am 21 and I have never dated anyone in my entire life. I have only been asked out like 3 times and I am not even sure if the first guy who asked me out was even serious.
Because of my acne, I stay away from dating. I feel like no one could ever want to be with me because of my skin condition.
You are not alone. I've been dealing with this problem since I was 12 years old. Acne has made a huge freaking dent in my self-esteem.

Melloman and Emily H liked
MemberMember
(@emily-h)

Posted : 10/09/2015 10:43 pm

It's hard not to let your appearance get in the way of your dating life! Like Nichole said, acne definitely puts a dent in your self-esteem, it did on mine for sure. I was always avoiding eye contact with people or always looking down at the floor just so I could hide my face. But as I got older, I became more comfortable in my own skin. I made friends and had boyfriends who accepted me for who I was on the inside! Your appearance is the first thing people notice, but if someone really wants to know you, personality becomes first priority and appearance becomes second. Who wants someone who's going to focus on your appearance 24/7 anyways!

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 10/09/2015 11:55 pm

I am 21 and I have never dated anyone in my entire life. I have only been asked out like 3 times and I am not even sure if the first guy who asked me out was even serious. 
Because of my acne, I stay away from dating. I feel like no one could ever want to be with me because of my skin condition.
You are not alone. I've been dealing with this problem since I was 12 years old. Acne has made a huge freaking dent in my self-esteem.

Same here, Nichole!  I've had acne since 11, and have been a virgin all my life because of it.  I'm 19 now, and I've cleared my acne.  But I've got this nose bump scar I got from the last cyst I had ever gotten on my nose!  Isn't that about a-
Anyways, it's ironic because had I not gotten acne, I would have lost my virginity at 12, cuz I moved to the hood rand these 2 15 year old girls approached me while I had a hoodie on and they approached me wanting to "get down."  (they couldn't really see my acne)  I know this sounds odd and slightly unbelievable.  They didn't just straight out walk up to me and ask for sex, they walked up to me and sort of noted they'd be back for me when my friend
wasn't around.  I'm sorry, I know this is TMI, but I thought it would be nice to share a story.
<--------

But that wasn't actually me.   I'm not going to be okay