Notifications
Clear all

How Long Do Cystic Pimples Usually Last?

MemberMember
(@yellowspike)

Posted : 08/24/2015 8:51 am

My skin is generally pretty good, as I eat well and maintain a good skincare routine. However, I still get occasional breakouts. My problem area tends to be the temple area (kinda to the side of your eyebrows, in between your eyes and ears (not quite your forehead). I try to change my pillowcases often and not sleep on my side, and this helps, but I have long-ish hair, so that's not always great either.

Just over a week ago, I got fairly large (and red and painful) cystic pimple in that area. I've been putting UMF 15+ manuka honey on it all week. The redness has gone down, and it's not as raised as it was, but over a week later, and it never actually "popped." I feel like some cystic pimples don't ever pop, and just go away. Is this normal? I'm hoping this pimple/blemish doesn't last that much longer. I'm a guy and don't wear coverup normally, but I will sometimes, and I hate doing it!

MemberMember
(@yellowspike)

Posted : 08/24/2015 10:54 am

Bump

Also, I have a date tonight. Any tips on getting the redness down (I have two new pimples near the cyst, but they're smaller, but pretty red. Not my week)? I have manuka honey on it right now (and had it on most of last night).

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@vituperative)

Posted : 08/24/2015 11:09 am

Cysts can last months. I currently have one on my cheek that's been there for 7 months already. Occasionally it sort of dies down and appears almost non existent (apart from redness) and then suddenly it forms again. Mine hasn't made a head in 7 months tho, there's nothing to pop.

Typically the fastest working things to reduce redness is washing that area with salt. Salt is very good with reducing redness and drying out zits and pimples, then I find that dabbing the pimple with Tea Tree Oil makes it dry our further and be less inflamed.

MemberMember
(@yellowspike)

Posted : 08/24/2015 11:14 am

Thanks vituperative.

I'm not sure what the hell it is. Last week, it at several points looked like it was going to come to a head and be poppable...I actually did notice a whitehead, tried to pop it, but couldn't, so left it alone after a while.

I can't remember ever having a pimple that lasted that long. I feel like using within a few weeks they're mostly gone. Guess I just gotta wait this one out. Oh well.

So annoying.

MemberMember
(@avad499)

Posted : 08/24/2015 12:33 pm

As someone who has had cystic acne before, mine have NEVER EVER ONCE "popped" or came to a head, so now I'm wondering if i still have them like vituperative said....anyways usually mine lasted two months before they just went away and left bad scars...however I would highly highly suggest icing them, as it helped DRAMATICALY! but usually the ice only works if you do it within the first few days of cystic pimple imerging ...lol if that makes sense