Notifications
Clear all

Wow! Epsom Salt

MemberMember
(@jjronnie)

Posted : 11/11/2004 9:23 pm

Here's something people may want to try if they want to reduce redmarks. After reading a couple of posts here and researching about the benefits online, I decided to give epsom salts a shot. Epsom salts can reduce the healing time of any cuts or sores by up to 1/3. I think we can all remember a time when we went to the beach and after being in the saltwater, cuts disappeared in no time. Since taking epsom salt baths can be a little time consuming, i simply take a glass and mix hot water and epsom salts to make a strong salt concentrate. I then use a cotton pad to wipe the solution on my face, or anywheres else (this is after i have washed). The salt soution will dry in no time and you can simply just wipe off any excess dry salt that accumulates on the face. I realize people will say that in order to get the full benefits of epsom salts you need to take a hot bath and let your pores open up. However, can be performed overnight and i do this after washing the skin so it shouldn't pose that much of a problem.

It is so simple and fast (and incredibly cheap), and after only one week I'm very pleased with the progress of the redmarks. Maybe you can give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

MemberMember
(@knice)

Posted : 11/12/2004 2:11 am

does this work with "sea salt" also?

MemberMember
(@entic)

Posted : 11/12/2004 2:52 am

Actually, in my experience all my cuts, scrapes, etc... simply DO NOT heal when I am at the beach. I had small cuts on my vacation to Jamaica for the entire duration of my stay [2 weeks] when normally I heal very fast.

MemberMember
(@agentcooper)

Posted : 11/12/2004 10:11 am

sea salt and epsom salt are completely different. epsom salt should help you heal but i'm not sure about sea salt. i can say that when i lived at the beach my acne was much better and the tan i had made my redmarks disappear.

MemberMember
(@whoisyouis)

Posted : 11/13/2004 12:36 pm

Ok this is scary. Doesn't any kind of salt really dry out your skin? I don't think I want salt residue on my face. Can I just take a bath in it instead?

MemberMember
(@adam)

Posted : 11/13/2004 5:56 pm

bath would be ideal

MemberMember
(@chikin)

Posted : 11/13/2004 8:09 pm

I just tried the method in here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=35274

Worked really well for the first day, we'll see if it keeps up, but its looking really promising!

Give it a shot people! biggrin.gif

MemberMember
(@mayciebabie)

Posted : 05/06/2013 11:24 pm

Hello, I am a 17 year old girl and know exactly what you are going through trust me! Black heads and acne suck! I have finally found something that helped me though and it's cheap and not very hard to do at all and has helped my skin so much!

My soap is made by Dr. Ohiira (called a beauty bar) which has all natural ingrediants and probiotics to help kill of bad bacteria on the skin but maintain the good bacteria that heal your skin. You can order this soap online, but if you want something from the drug store try Dove's unscented soap bar. I reccomend going to a health food store instead and getting a very natural soap instead though.

Next after washing your face with a mild, gentle cleanser you are going to need:

Epsom salt (salt of magnesium) you can get this at any drug store for very cheap. It is great for the skin, aches, buises, scrapes, etc and it even helps kill bad bacteria and retain moisture in skin.

You can either put two table spoons of this in pretty warm water and stir it around until it is cloudy white ish and tastes bitter. You can use this as a toner for your skin with a cotton ball and let it dry as a mask. You can even sleep with this, but it will dry as a slightly white salty film so I would sleep on a towel or some sort of pillow protector although I never have noticed a noticible salty film in my bed or anything. The toner helps all oilyness and seriosuly reduced redness so much. A less potent toner with less epsom salt would leave a less white residue and could be used for daily wear, under make up even.

The next way to use epsom salt is to grind it up into a almost a powder like form. I do this using a coffee bean grinder (I do this because the grains are to big and don't scrub as much and the sand like texture helps more when using as a scrub). I then mix it with either a creamy gentle cleanser, or just a little bit of water, or some sort of natural home made mask and use it as a scrub / exfolient and the grains will eventually disolves soaking into your face and then you rinse.

There is yet another way to use epsom salt, and this is good for body oilyness and acne. Put two cups of epsom salt into a hot bath and soak. This is very effective plus relaxing as the magnesium sulfate (that makes up epsom salt) is very soothing to your muscles as well as good for taking out redness and inflamation in the skin.

Two other types of salts I use on my skin are Hemilayan Sea Salt (naturally a light pink or greyish color) and I also use Dead sea salt.

A hot compress can help those big ones to surface and pop! If you put raw honey on the zit it usually brings it to the surface fast and helps it to be a lot less sore. Hot water and epsom salt can be soaked onto a towel and held onto sore big pimple to help bring out the infection. Do not pick at the pimples, try to juse dry them out with sea salt/epsom salt water and cotton balls / Q tips for the next few days.

Both of these salts are great at fighting blemishes and reducing oils but are a more drying salt for the skin. If you choose to you can add 1 tea spoon of each of these salts to 2 cups of warm water. OR even more effectively you can make a toner using all three, (Hemilayan, Dead Sea, and Epsom salt) into one toner.

I would alternate between using the mixed salt toner, and regular epsom salt toner so you do not dry your skin out to much but to keep it balanced.

Apple cider vinegar used in the ratio 1:1 with water makes an excellent claryfying agent and even lightens the skin (: (apple cider vinegar half and half with water on a Q tip and through out the day keep applying it to the pimples I swear it will help them!) I had a huge scab and it litterally fell off within 2 days of using this over and over and it looks so good. As well as it kills bacteria, will dry it out and help the infection.

You can look up the reviews for most of these items too and see how other people rate them also. The sight acne.org has a lot of info on products and skin even if you don't have acne it can be helpful. ! Hope this helps with everyones skin! XO (:

table salt should never be used on the skin because it is bleached and will actually harm your skin as well as your body. Eating pure sea salt is a million times better too!

You may be surprised at how many of these items you probably already have!

taking a cod liver oil supplement will really benifit your skin and hair. Many models do it.

Freakily enough people say some models put urine on their face to get it so perfect, they even put the element urea in a ton of skin care products and it is derived from urine.

Extra virgin coconut oil is a great supplement to keep you trim and helps fight acne from the inside out! Miranda Kirr from victoria secret even takes it! (;