Notifications
Clear all

My Story- Cystic And Back Acne

MemberMember
(@phoebe-i)

Posted : 05/17/2015 9:42 am

hi, Im in my 30's and struggled with acne since teens ( I never would have believed it last this long).I have face acne with deep cystic acne that leaves brown spots for months ( I also have ethnic skin). I have had back acne for years. I used proactive- sort of helped for a short time. I complained to my doctor and she put me on cephalexin and a topical eyrthomycin ( thats not spelled right, a topical antibiotic). that seemed to help with face acne only ( but I would still get the deep cyst acne). I told her I still had back acne but she didn't have any suggestions, nor did she want to refer me to a dermatologist.

I didn't like the idea of long term antibiotics, especially if they only helped a little. Long term antibiotics can have terrible effects on gut health.

I was having some other health issues and I decided to give up dairy. within 30 days I had no new acne on my face or back. since giving it up I have had no cystic acne! I check ingredients, I don't eat any dairy ingredients at all, my back still has old dark spots, but with the use of amlacin its improving.

people always say, " I could never give up dairy, I love cheese" Trust me, I loved cheese and cream pasta meals etc but after looking into dairy more I understand that it can cause the body to react to by inflammation- in my case as acne. I told my doctor this and she didn't believe me, or like that I gave up dairy (she was concerned that I wouldn't get enough calcium). I was tested for dairy allergy and lactose intolerance - both negative.

I also lost 15 pounds in 1-2 months, mearly by avoiding the diary rich food ( americans put cheese on EVERYTHING).

I use benzoyle peroxide wash ( on for 10 mins), and a brown spot remover ( 2-3 times a day) , alpha hydroxy ever y 1-2 days ( too much drys out skin).

I read this site a few years ago, and people talked about dairy, I said I would never give it up, and I didn't believe it. but Im coming back after suffering ( emotionally ) for years (literally) to say its worth the 1-2 month trial to give up dairy. I can tolerate small amounts of dairy (not milk or cheese or yougurt!) but in breads, or in sausage occasionally etc without a cystic flare up.

I still have hormonal acne but its minor and managable. For the first time in my life people are seeing my face!