Notifications
Clear all

Excessive Female Hair Growth & Acne

MemberMember
(@hope95)

Posted : 12/04/2014 5:21 pm

So lately I have noticed that my body and facial hair have been growing like crazy and I've been breaking out a lot more. I am not sure why.

I remembered it getting a lot worse during the beginning of this school year. This past summer, my face would maybe get one or two pimples during that time of the month which was completely manageable and I didn't notice any excessive hair growth anywhere on my face or body.

Once school started, my face started breaking out and I first noticed more hair on my fingers, which i thought was really weird. I'm not sure why this started to happen but maybe because I was getting too stressed from school and it was causing a hormonal imbalance??

I decided to just pluck the hair on my fingers and focused more on my acne. I was getting super depressed and anxious because I felt like my skin had finally gotten so much better over the past years yet I was breaking out again like I did in my high school years (I'm in college now).

Being busy with school, I didn't want to deal with acne so I decided to get on the birth control Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for the 2nd time because I knew how much it cleared up my skin the first time I took it back in high school and I've read that birth control helps with hair growth.

I took it for a week and broke out HORRIBLY all over my chin in painful, inflamed cysts. This pretty much scared me and I stopped taking it because I thought if I was gonna have a really bad initial breakout going on it, imagine how bad it will be coming off of it.

Now I feel like my hormones are really messed up (even though my periods are still completely regular). I've been breaking out like crazy ever since and ive noticed SO MUCH hair growth all over my hands, arms, stomach, a little bit on my chin, mustache, and a lot of "peach fuzz" all over my face which is totally not like me. Do you think taking the birth control for a week could have caused this abnormal hair growth? I really don't know whats wrong or what to do about it... I am completely depressed and cannot focus in school anymore.

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 12/04/2014 9:14 pm

Sounds like you would be a perfect candidate for Spironolactone :) you may have too much testosterone and spiro blocks androgens.