Notifications
Clear all

Shiny Face Is Not Oily. Help!

MemberMember
(@zako00)

Posted : 11/15/2014 5:43 pm

Hello. In the recent year my face has becomed really shiny.

It's only my forehead and nose that shines, but it's still really annoying.

My face doesn't feel like it's oily and it's still shiny even after I've washed it.

I think the skin looks like it's really over cleansed and like it's fresh new. But I don't use any products except from water.

I think that my nose has always been kinda shiny after I've washed it but it has always gone away after some hours. Now it's shiny forever and gets even more shiny as the day goes by.

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/15/2014 6:56 pm

Usually skin that's shiny (and often tight) like that is from over exfoliation. You said you only use water to cleanse absolutely nothing else? No exfoliating devices or moisturizers or anything?

MemberMember
(@zako00)

Posted : 11/16/2014 8:42 am

Usually skin that's shiny (and often tight) like that is from over exfoliation. You said you only use water to cleanse absolutely nothing else? No exfoliating devices or moisturizers or anything?

I have started to use an moisturizer now because I thought that my skin may be dry. But my face has been shiny months before that.

Could my shampoo has something to do with it? Because it's the only product I've used near my face.

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/16/2014 11:47 am

Potentially, as the shiny areas are where the shampoo would likely drip down what kind are you using?

And have you tried using a mattifying moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@zako00)

Posted : 11/16/2014 1:46 pm

Potentially, as the shiny areas are where the shampoo would likely drip down what kind are you using?

And have you tried using a mattifying moisturizer?

Thanks for your replies! It could definitely be the dripping, but I think more then my t-zone should have becomed shiny then? Or maybe my skin is thinner there?

The shampoos I've used is for dandruff and for curly hair.

I've aslo noticed that my face is less shiny in the morning after I've slept. But it's still very shiny.

I'm using a mattifier now, but it's only hiding the shine for some hours. And I really want an final solution.

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 11/16/2014 3:19 pm

Try milk of magnesia to cover up and calm skin from shine. Trust me. It was a miracle cure for my shiney oily skin. Dab a little on ur fingers and rub it on the shiney areas. Make sure to get the original... Not the cherry or mint or any flavor

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/16/2014 6:57 pm

Thanks for your replies! It could definitely be the dripping, but I think more then my t-zone should have becomed shiny then? Or maybe my skin is thinner there?

The shampoos I've used is for dandruff and for curly hair.

I've aslo noticed that my face is less shiny in the morning after I've slept. But it's still very shiny.

I'm using a mattifier now, but it's only hiding the shine for some hours. And I really want an final solution.

No worries! Hmmm¦ well it's possible that it could be from the shampoo, but more than anything else it could be a change in your skin and its texture just from age and the elements. Mine recently went through this¦ my skin used to be super oily and resilient, and now it's super combo and sensitive. Sometimes it just happens without much more of an explanation than that!

Try MN121188's suggestion with the milk of magnesia! I've never tried it before but it's worth a shot :)

MN121188 liked
MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 11/17/2014 3:50 am

your skin sounds like it is dehydrated, thats why it probably seems less shiny in the morning since your skin usually produces more oil during the night, it might sounds silly but your skin need more moisture and nourishment. I would agree that over exfoliation doesn't help, but sometimes you need a gentle exfoliatior once a week to clear dead skin cells from your face, which could also be making your skin look shiny, some people don't shed their dead skin cells as well as others. It will take time, my skin was the same about a year and a half ago after I started using soap as a cleanser, it totally stripped my skin of any moisture. I would look for a gentle exfoliator, none with beads it, maybe a gentle aha? Use this once a week and maybe get a soap free cream cleanser for other days. You want to use a nice replenishing moisturiser, nothing to thick but something that will keep water in your skin, I like e45, a serum before moisturing might be good too. I have also found that cleansing my face and applying my moisturiser before I bath or shower really helps as the steam and hot water can be very drying! Things might get worse before the get better as your skin rebalances, you should look up dehydrated skin, I'm not an exert so don't take my word as gospel, but I hope it helps a little x