Notifications
Clear all

Acne Help!

MemberMember
(@alix12)

Posted : 11/07/2014 10:18 pm

I have some pimples on my forehead, about two - three pimples at a time. I am currently taking amoxicillin. Also, I wash my face once a day using 10% benzoyl peroxide. I sometimes forget to use my Equate Beauty noncomedogenic moisturizer. I occasionally pick at my pimples.

But, the pimples keep coming back to my forehead. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/08/2014 6:44 pm

You're washing your face using 10% BP cream?? Or a 10% BP cleanser? Either way, I'd recommend switching to a nonmedicated cleanser and treat your forehead with 2.5% BP...just as effective as 10% but way less harsh. Neutrogena On The Spot 2.5% BP is available in most drugstores.

Picking is never a good idea but hard to avoid sometimes if a huge zit is staring at you lol...we've all done it. The most important thing is to leave it alone once it scabs over.

MemberMember
(@alix12)

Posted : 11/08/2014 10:28 pm

My bottle of BP doesn't specify if it's a cleanser or a cream, but it says an acne foaming wash. Also, when I clean my face, should I apply BP and then wash it off with water? Or, should I apply BP and wait for it to dry, then put on moisturizer.

Thanks for the help!

MemberMember
(@alix12)

Posted : 11/09/2014 6:58 pm

Also, I have a question, I only have pimples on my forehead. Would salicyclic acid do a better job on them? Or, would Benzoyl Peroxide do a better job. The benzoyl peroxide isn't having much of an effect on my forehead. :(

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/09/2014 7:42 pm

It depends on the type of pimples you have on your forehead. What works will depend more on that than the location they are on your face. If they are red, inflamed, and active pimples then stick with the BP. If they are those small skin coloured bumps, then I would say give a salicylic acid product a try.

For my forehead bumps (or any non-inflamed acne) I find that salicylic acid does a better job to unclog those guys. I use these pads that contain both salicylic and glycolic acid, and they've done wonders for them!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/09/2014 7:44 pm

BP is more effective than salicylic acid for treating inflamed acne because it kills the bacteria that causes acne. Salicylic acid does not...this medication does help break down pore clogs that cause noninflamed acne like the above poster mentions...but does not kill acne bacteria.

The trouble with acne washes is that the BP or SA are only on the face for a few seconds and then rinsed away. BP works best when it is left on the face for several hours to do its work of killing acne bacteria. Same with SA. Works better when applied and left on to break down pore clogs than in an acne wash.

Don't write off BP until you've tried using it this way if you have inflamed acne...it can really work wonders!

Hope you get clear soon! :)

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/09/2014 7:55 pm

Agreed with DeLovely. BP kept me clear for 10+ years but since my skin has changed with age (wah!) it has developed a sensitivity to it and I can no longer use it. Because of this I've had to turn to salicylic and glycolic acid products instead which, for me, produce amazing results for the small bumps and clogs. Again, I think it all depends on the type of spots you've got on your forehead.

For the active acne, BP will definitely do a better job. The Regimen was my saving grace for so many years!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/09/2014 8:09 pm

KLM: Yeah age has a funny way of changing your skin lol...developed the worst acne of my life in my 30s! Worse than in high school!! Probably hormonal changes associated with my two pregnancies. Thank goodness for the Regimen!!

Glad you found alternative treatment when the BP stopped working...just goes to show it's important for your skin care plan to evolve along with your skin! :)

KLM15 liked
MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 11/09/2014 9:09 pm

I also use a 10% bp cleanser. I've been washing every morning after waking up and then right before I goto bed. I put oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin only at night. This has been working for me for the

Most part. Whenever I skip a day of not using the moisturizer I definitely pay for it by getting a break out or irritation from the dryness. And yeah picking is never good! There's a science behind the reasonings for getting acne on different places on your face. I forget what the forehead means but diet and hormones and sleep and exercise all play a big roll. Oh I also use 10% bp spot cream at night on the zits/pimples I have and even the ones that are coming in! Anyways... That's what I do. Maybe this will help? Good luck! - jake

I have some pimples on my forehead, about two - three pimples at a time. I am currently taking amoxicillin. Also, I wash my face once a day using 10% benzoyl peroxide. I sometimes forget to use my Equate Beauty noncomedogenic moisturizer. I occasionally pick at my pimples.

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/09/2014 9:15 pm

KLM: Yeah age has a funny way of changing your skin lol...developed the worst acne of my life in my 30s! Worse than in high school!! Probably hormonal changes associated with my two pregnancies. Thank goodness for the Regimen!!

Glad you found alternative treatment when the BP stopped working...just goes to show it's important for your skin care plan to evolve along with your skin!

YES! Though it was nothing short of devastating when I realized the BP was starting to do more harm than good. I didn't think in my mid twenties my skin would already decide it had had enough, but I guess after a solid 10 years of use it was bound to happen. I broke out within weeks of quitting and it took a lot of trial and error to find a new regimen. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I even tried going back on the BP! Not surprisingly that turned out not to be such a good idea. I'm finally almost clear again with the use of AHA and BHAs, and some dietary changes aswell. Hopefully won't have to evolve anymore for awhile again ;)

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 11/09/2014 9:19 pm

What are aha's and bha's?

MemberMember
(@alix12)

Posted : 11/09/2014 9:50 pm

I think the BP didn't have any results because I didn't leave it on long enough. So, after the BP dries, I should apply moisturizer? Thank you so much for the help!

MN121188 liked
MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/09/2014 10:10 pm

Thanks!!

Picking your pimples is actually not good specially those red and inflamed. Infection can actually spread when pimple bursts and can cause more breakouts. Also, avoid using substance-based products, they can irritate skin.

MN121188 liked
MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/09/2014 10:12 pm

What are aha's and bha's?

AHAs - Alpha Hydroxy Acids

Typically glycolic acid and lactic acid

These work on the surface of the skin to chemically exfoliate and help improve texture and tone.

BHAs - Beta Hydroxy Acids

Typically salicylic acid

Works under the skin to decongest clogged pores

SA tends to be more gentle and not as drying as benzoyl peroxide, however not as effective for inflammed acne. Hope that helps!

MN121188 liked
MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 11/09/2014 10:16 pm

It depends on the type of pimples you have on your forehead. What works will depend more on that than the location they are on your face. If they are red, inflamed, and active pimples then stick with the BP. If they are those small skin coloured bumps, then I would say give a salicylic acid product a try.

For my forehead bumps (or any non-inflamed acne) I find that salicylic acid does a better job to unclog those guys. I use these pads that contain both salicylic and glycolic acid, and they've done wonders for them!

What type of pads are you using that contain both glycolic and salicylic acid? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/09/2014 10:16 pm

I think the BP didn't have any results because I didn't leave it on long enough. So, after the BP dries, I should apply moisturizer? Thank you so much for the help!

As long as you're talking about a BP gel or cream meant to be left on the skin, then yes :) If it's a cleanser containing BP then that needs to be washed off, but so long as this is a product meant to be left on, then wait 5-15 minutes for it to dry, and then apply moisturizer.

Follow the Regimen's technique¦ starting with a small amount and working your way up gradually. This should help!