Notifications
Clear all

Advice On Acne On Cheek

MemberMember
(@elide)

Posted : 10/27/2014 1:09 pm

I turned 21 this year, and in the beginning of the year I started to get some breakouts on my cheek. I've never struggled with this before - my struggle would usually involve my forehead and cystic acne on my chin. I have acne on my cheek and whiteheads - the worst is my left cheek, while my right cheek is starting to get more and more clogged pores (blackheads) that ususally don't break out unless I start picking on it. I don't have much more acne on my chin anymore by the way, it just feels like my acne sort of "changed".
I started a 5% Benzoyl peroxide gel about two months ago - I feel like even if I saw improvement in the beginning, that it doesn't help with my acne that starts two weeks before I reach "that time of the month". I don't know if Benzoyl peroxide is supposed to be working on hormonal acne - if not is there any other treatment that's effective?
I usually use Clarins lotus oil morning and evening instead of moisturizer. Maybe it's too oily? Is there any other good moisturizer for acne prone skin?
I'm abselutely awful when it comes to picking by the way; I usually rip big scabs on my skin because I start squeezing meaningless SMALL spots....make them infected and then pick MORE...

MemberMember
(@sallyy75)

Posted : 10/28/2014 8:51 am

I have suffered from acne all my life. Was hoping to grow out of it but after lots of research and testing I took matters in my own hand. Below is what I do to stay clear:

• No dairy or sugar. I sweeten things with honey, fructose, xylitol or maple syrup.
  • Eat lots of wholegrain, seeds & nuts, pulses, vegetables, lean protein
  • Drink green tea and plenty of water. I have a coffee in the morning to get me going.
  • Cleanse every night with a muslin cloth and water (any gentle cleanser would be fine, keep it simple) and follow up with pure chimp super one.
  • Exercise at least 3 times a week

Good luck and heres to clear skin

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/29/2014 7:45 am

BP is totally effective on hormonal acne. However, 2.5% BP is just as effective as 5% BP and way less harsh. You can buy some on this site or pick up Neutrogena On The Spot 2.5% BP at your local drugstore. I'm not sure about the oil you are using as a moisturizer. You could google Clarin lotus oil and comedogenic ingredients and see what turns up. As a rule I always look for derm rec'd and noncomedogenic on the label of any skin product I buy.

Dietary changes can also help...many people on here have found avoiding dairy to be important as the hormones in the milk can contribute to hormonal acne. And eating a healthy diet with plenty of colorful veggies and fruit is always good advice!

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

MemberMember
(@elide)

Posted : 10/29/2014 2:30 pm

BP is totally effective on hormonal acne. However, 2.5% BP is just as effective as 5% BP and way less harsh. You can buy some on this site or pick up Neutrogena On The Spot 2.5% BP at your local drugstore. I'm not sure about the oil you are using as a moisturizer. You could google Clarin lotus oil and comedogenic ingredients and see what turns up. As a rule I always look for derm rec'd and noncomedogenic on the label of any skin product I buy.

Dietary changes can also help...many people on here have found avoiding dairy to be important as the hormones in the milk can contribute to hormonal acne. And eating a healthy diet with plenty of colorful veggies and fruit is always good advice!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks for the advice! I've been thinking about the 2,5 % BP thing... Actually, I found out I had heaps of dead skin layered on that I hadn't been able to exfoliate properly, I did that and it seemed to help the BP get effective again. Wohoo.. 🙂 I might just order the BP from Acne.org next time though... the one I use is a bit grainy.. 🙂

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/29/2014 2:51 pm

The Reg BP is great...it's a gel so it glides on smooth and dries clear...and doesn't have a grainy texture. :) If you like oil over moisturizer, consider jojoba oil or hemp seed oil. Jojoba oil closely matches natural sebum so is great for any skin type. Hemp seed oil is especially beneficial for oily skin.

More info here:

http://highonclearskin.com/how-to-get-clear/dont-clog-your-pores/