Notifications
Clear all

Salicylic Acid + Benzoyl Peroxide

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/09/2014 3:48 pm

Thanks LF this is very helpful! Confirmed on other websites about PH being important for SA products to work, as well as an old acne.org post about this topic. Was able to locate PH info on my product of choice and it's in the 3-4 range and 2% so it should work.

So you've had good results using SA and BP together...what do you like about using them together as opposed to just BP? What prompted you to add the SA step to your regimen?

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/09/2014 4:16 pm

Thanks LF this is very helpful! Confirmed on other websites about PH being important for SA products to work, as well as an old acne.org post about this topic. Was able to locate PH info on my product of choice and it's in the 3-4 range and 2% so it should work.

So you've had good results using SA and BP together...what do you like about using them together as opposed to just BP? What prompted you to add the SA step to your regimen?

before i was using SA and BP , i was

before using SA and BP , i was using BP and AHA but it didnt work that well and i couldnt keep using because aha was making my skin get red dry leathery patches so i switched to SA because

- salicylic acid as an exceedingly effective keratolytic (exfoliant), but it also is an anti-irritant This is because salicylic acid is a derivative of aspirin (both are salicylatesaspirins technical name is acetylsalicylic acid), and so it also functions as an anti-inflammatory

- Another notable aspect of salicylic acid for treating breakouts is that it has antimicrobial properties

- BHA has the ability to penetrate into the pore (AHAs do not), and thus can exfoliate inside the pore as well as on the surface of the skin, which makes it

effective for reducing blemishes, including blackheads and whiteheads.

- salicylic acid can improve skin thickness, barrier functions, and collagen production

http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/salicylic-acid < resource taken from

AHA only exfoliate on the surface thats why SA is better imo

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/09/2014 7:21 pm

Thanks LF...good to know why SA can be useful and what properties to look for in a good SA treatment. Knowledge is power! :)

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/10/2014 10:28 am

excellent info....thanks Leadingforce!....for the last 15years I have used a moisturizer(Garnier Pure A) with SA and zinc properties in it...and has a matt finish when rubbed into the skin and now I know why its worked so well with BP (10%)..........thanks again!

MemberMember
(@jakitoy)

Posted : 10/11/2014 5:45 am

These two chemical components are really so mcuh beneficial for the persons having acnes. I used Betnovate-N which may also contain some amounts like salicylic acisd and benzoyl peroxide.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/13/2014 5:26 pm

so you will purge for a week or 2

i gotten like 2 cystic acne so far 1 was on my nuge big a nickel legit

it went away in like couple of days though , i did not squeeze or nothing i just use SA + Bp daily fading away much faster then i thought + no indented scars because like i said these 2 reduce inflammation

my only regret is not starting this regimen a long time ago

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 10/13/2014 10:54 pm

Hi JJ,

I'm using 10% (BP) twice a day, once in the morning after I wash my face and once in the evening after a shower....I use my moisturizer (which has SA and zinc in it) once a day in the morning after the BP.......I've been doing this for almost 15years so my skin is use to this now...I think the thing is to find something that works for you and stick to it. Every time I've change my soap, gel, moisturizer etc my skin doesn't like it and can cause breakouts......so I think its important not to keep changing to different products once you find something that works for you......take care

Agree with you totally! Unfortunately, products often gets discontinued. I just found out L'Oreal has stopped manufacturing my favorite one!! Not sure why!!! :-(

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 10/14/2014 11:15 am

I agree Battle2011.....I was using Panoxyl "Acnegel" 10% (alcohol based) for almost 15years and then they discontinued that range...luckily I had heard it was getting discontinued so ordered enough to last 2 years but now that has run out and I've started using the Panoxyl "aquagel" 10%....which is water based product....even tho it was the same company, same BP strength and the only difference was moving from alcohol based to water based....my skin still took a few weeks to get use to the change.....I'm just hoping they now don't discontinue the aquagel range for a while as this has only just come back on the market....thanks

MemberMember
(@cta12)

Posted : 07/01/2016 12:24 pm

On October 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM, chippy1 said:

I agree.....I just think the concern of cutting dairy out completely means your body will be missing out on calcium rich foods, things that are important for your body (i.e bones/teeth etc,etc....) which is why...its important (if possible!) to find a healthy balance...but I do agree dairy is a big factor.........thanks again for the info!

calcium in milk is a huge American propaganda. Milk does not have calcium. It is fortified with calcium meaning it's added in afterwards just like any other food fortified with calcium. Milk from animals actually cause low grade inflammation due to foreign antibodies since cows are a different species than humans. Plant sources such as soy, almond, etc. are better but watch out for carrageenan used as anti-clumping preservative because it can cause inflammation too (it's used as positive control in inflammatory studies) and other preservatives.