Notifications
Clear all

Staph In My Nose Caused My Pimples

MemberMember
(@mr-l-a-confidential)

Posted : 12/28/2017 1:34 pm

@healthyalmonds

Hey bro, quick check...

I'm using an antiseptic called Savlon which contains active ingrediets are 0.3g chlorhexidine and 3.0g cetrimide ... Unfortunately we don't sell Hibiclens. So I use savlon and dilute it with water and disinfect my nose and ears morning and night... After i applied it, I put anti biotic cream... In areas if I do break out I use benzac which is 5% benzoly peroxide... I use a face wash which has silicylic acid and after I use a mosturizer.... So there's my routine, I would just like to know if I'm on point with that method I'm doing...
Is it okay if I apply the benzac (benzoly peroxide) cream to the areas where I normally break which is my moustache and chin area. Even if there are no breakouts... Managed to get OXY 10 lotion with benzoly peroxide so wondering if that can help...

Thanx Champ!

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 12/30/2017 3:50 am

@Mr.L.A.Confidential

Yes, that looks like a great routine! Hopefully you've already noticed some progress.

I put benzoyl peroxide all over my face and not just on areas where I broke out. I believe that by spreading it throughout I was making it hard for Staph to live in my skin and cause a pimple.

MemberMember
(@mr-l-a-confidential)

Posted : 12/30/2017 5:59 am

@healthyalmonds

Thank you for the advice! I'll apply the peroxide all over my face with a mosturizer after... Will give it few more weeks and see if there are more improvements.

Thanx Champ!

MemberMember
(@uberdude)

Posted : 01/03/2018 10:13 am

Hi All

I believe that healtyalmonds suggestion to use chlorhexidine in the nose has been very positive for me. I have battled staph in my nostrils for over 20 years, and after coming across this post in 2016, I tried TAO in the nostrils. This looked positive for a few months, but then the pimples on my chin started re-appearing and I think I became resistant to TAO. I originally tried Hibiclens in my nose around mid November 2017 and I was amazed at the results. I had to be skeptical as I'mnot sure ifits possible to completely eliminate Staph from the nose, but after nearly 2 months, I have been waking up with no pimples on my chin. I do not follow a aggressive routine as healthyalmods, and just apply it in my nose once a week, but I apply it on my ears and back of my head every morning for about 5 minutes before having a shower. My skin has been looking the healthiest it has ever been and I have suddenly began to feel how clear my nose is in the morning whereas it used to be a bit stuffy when I woke up. I still get the occasional pimple on my face and scalp so will continue with my current routine as I know its working.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 01/03/2018 5:49 pm

7 hours ago, UberDude said:

Hi All

I believe that healtyalmonds suggestion to use chlorhexidine in the nose has been very positive for me. I have battled staph in my nostrils for over 20 years, and after coming across this post in 2016, I tried TAO in the nostrils. This looked positive for a few months, but then the pimples on my chin started re-appearing and I think I became resistant to TAO. I originally tried Hibiclens in my nose around mid November 2017 and I was amazed at the results. I had to be skeptical as I'mnot sure ifits possible to completely eliminate Staph from the nose, but after nearly 2 months, I have been waking up with no pimples on my chin. I do not follow a aggressive routine as healthyalmods, and just apply it in my nose once a week, but I apply it on my ears and back of my head every morning for about 5 minutes before having a shower. My skin has been looking the healthiest it has ever been and I have suddenly began to feel how clear my nose is in the morning whereas it used to be a bit stuffy when I woke up. I still get the occasional pimple on my face and scalp so will continue with my current routine as I know its working.

Did you always only apply it once a week or were you applying it daily for the first couple of weeks? Also how long do you let it stay in your nose before rinsing it out?

Really happy it worked!

MemberMember
(@uberdude)

Posted : 01/04/2018 4:00 am

@silverlight22

I applied it twice a week initially, I went quite high up the nose (as per diagram below) and around the nares and left it for 5 minutes. I cleaned it with a cotton bud soaked in Isopropyl and I could feel the staph burning .

For some reason, its not letting me paste the pic of the nose in the post

Remember to keep nose hairs trimmed regularly and not to put your fingers in there at anytime.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)
MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 01/05/2018 12:06 am

does products like nizoral kill staph on the face?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:54 pm

@silverlight22

Affordable and reusable but understandably embarrassing to wear 🙂

A couple of years ago I bought ear bags https://www.amazon.com/Sprigs-Earbags-Bandless-Earmuffs-Thinsulate/dp/B00CI995MU?th=1 to wear before bed. This was when I was learning that my ear Staph was no longer being killed by TAO. It definitely worked to prevent cheek acne.

Since I learned about alcohol and chlorhexidine to clean my ears, I no longer use any ear covers.

@MrBakery
I couldn't say. I'm not familiar with Nizoral.

MemberMember
(@ap13)

Posted : 01/06/2018 1:51 pm

Hi, I'm 20 and have struggled with moderate face and neck/body acne for a long time now. I wonder if it's possible that I have Staph in my ear, nose and armpits.

- I get cysts on my ear lobes that come and go every few months
- I get lots of pimples on and around my lips and chin as well as the mustache area
- I get pimples on my cheeks, often big cysts/nodules
- Lots of neck acne all around my neck

While growing up I have tried all sorts of remedies, including accutane, to no avail. Having given up on almost everything, I feel like this is worth a try. Would this product be adequate for swabbing, as I live in the UK? How would I go about dealing with armpits and/or any other possible locations?Any and all advice appreciated.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 01/06/2018 5:35 pm

@ap13Not the expert here but I think you probably do have a staph infection and will benefit from @healthyalmondsroutine.

Hibiscrub might be as good as long as it has 4% chlorohexidine.

Maybe you want to start swabbing your nose with rubbing alcohol first (which you can get easily) and see if that helps since it's also good at killing staph. The most important part is to ensure you don't pick on your nose or just don't touch your ears/nose and then your face as you can very easily spread staph bacteria and cause more acne. Good hygiene is important here since you also have it on your body, you can easily reinfect your self by touching or scratching your body and then your face. Get an antibacterial body wash too and make sure your hands are clean at all times ie use a hand sanitizer.

I get cysts in my ear lobes too but theyre under control now sincei started wiping with rubbing alcohol. Your cheek acne might also get under control once you start swabbing your ears with hibiclens or rubbing alchohol or TAO. Mouth and chin acne will hopefully also be controlled by swabbing your nose.

This is just a summary of all the posts here, there are different things you can try. Read through when you have the time, different things work for different people.

MemberMember
(@ap13)

Posted : 01/06/2018 7:38 pm

@silverlight22Thanks for the response.

I might get the product I linked and try that as my body wash. I will pick up some rubbing alcohol in the coming days and start swabbing with that, as I have no idea how to get TAO in the UK.

So I will swab my nose and ears with rubbing alcohol and wash my body with antimicrobial body wash. I will post back with any updates, and again appreciate any thoughts/advice from people who have done this as well.

MemberMember
(@uberdude)

Posted : 01/08/2018 4:11 am

@ap13

I live in the UK also and use Hibiscrub which I have been getting great results with. I bought TAO from ebay as there are some sellers that ship to the UK from the US. Personally, I found thatI became resistant to TAO, so I would advise trying Hibiscrub in the nostrils for 5 minutes and then cleaning them with alcohol, and also as a daily routine, put in and around the ears for about 5 minutes before having a shower.

ap13 liked
MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 01/08/2018 12:32 pm

8 hours ago, UberDude said:

@ap13

I live in the UK also and use Hibiscrub which I have been getting great results with. I bought TAO from ebay as there are some sellers that ship to the UK from the US. Personally, I found thatI became resistant to TAO, so I would advise trying Hibiscrub in the nostrils for 5 minutes and then cleaning them with alcohol, and also as a daily routine, put in and around the ears for about 5 minutes before having a shower.

Do you also apply benzoyl peroxide at night? How long did it take before you saw results with hibiclens in nostrils? Did you use it as a facial cleanser too?

MemberMember
(@uberdude)

Posted : 01/09/2018 3:19 am

@silverlight22

I only used BP at night if I had any spots, never used it regularly at night. I think I started seeing results with hibiclens after the first couple of applications which is why I was really amazed. I am currently testing by not applying it in my nose since the beginning of the year as my skin has been the clearest ever. I am still applying in and around my ear and back of head daily, but aim to start reducing that soon to maybe twice a week.

Didn't use hibiclens as a facial clenser as I have stuck with using Cidal soap for a long time as its antibacterial.

MemberMember
(@ap13)

Posted : 01/23/2018 11:20 am

So I have been doing this for about 2 weeks now, and my skin has been noticeably clearer than the past couple of months. I do sometimes have clearer periods than usual anyways, so it could be placebo, but it does feel like it is having a positive affect for sure. The one breakout I had after eating takeout pizza cleared up much quicker than usual, maybe a day or two and back to (relatively) clear skin.

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/23/2018 7:14 pm

@ap13

Thank you for the update and that is awesome that you are observing clearer skin. I am optimistic that the progress will continue :)

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 01/28/2018 11:59 am

Just an update - my pustules culture came back to show heavy growth of a gram negative bacteria Citrobacter Koseri. The derm was quite surprised as this specific bacteria is only found in the digestive tract.

After doing some research (and there is very limited material available for this online), I found that overuse of tetracycline group antibiotics cause this bacteria to overgrow as they mess up the skin flora. Like staph, it grows in your nose but can spread.

The only known treatments are accutane or antibiotics this bacteria is sensitive to but I'm worried it'll come back worse like it always does after the treatment.

I'm not sure why hibiclens worked as a facial cleanser last year in September for me and I was pustule free for about 3 months. Maybe I initially had some staph pustules which i got rid of through hibiclens but then this gram neg bacteria took over and hibiclens was ineffective?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/30/2018 9:16 pm

@silverlight22

I'm not sure what could cause C. koseri to show up in pustules.

With hibiclens it is equally effective against Staph and gram negative bacteria. The Hibiclens may not be penetrating the pustules effectively to kill the bacteria inside.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 01/31/2018 5:26 pm

@healthyalmonds

Possibly. I came across a research article, which I had to purchase, as it seemed very similar to my situation. It's titled "A cycle: recurrent gram negative folliculitis with C. koseri following eradication of recurrent staph"

The article talks about how a 28 year old man was diagnosed with Gram Neg Folliculitis (GNF) due to C. koseri and took accutane to eradicate it. However, after C koseri eradication and his pustules clearing up, staph bacteria took over and caused folluculitis again. He was put on antibiotics and staph pustules cleared up but then folliculitis returned and culture showed c. koseri once again. He was put on antibiotics targetting c.koseri and his skin cleared up again but staph pustules returned once more. He was put on several 6 week courses of antibiotics with either staph or c.koseri causing recurrent infection in turns.

It seems the eradication of one organism caused the other one to take over. The article did not state if this was ever cured but this could explain my recurrent pustules despite antibiotics clearing them up all the time.

Apparently, C.Koseri is caused by over using doxy or minocycline which is what i had done.

In Septmeber, when i first applied hibiclens to my face, my pustules cleared up in a week and i stayed clear for 3months. I think at that point they were staph related. However, since last week of dec, they have returned, hibiclens no longer works and culture showed c.koseri which leads me to believe hibiclens is ineffective against it.

I have come across a very random post on reddit which says Betadine is able to kill Citrobacter which makes me want to try it but I'm unsure if it is safe to put in my nares as well as apply it on my skin. As citrobacter koseri also growns in nostrils, I'm wondering if i should try it out. Just scared of giving rise to resistant bacteria.

MemberMember
(@taletrekker)

Posted : 01/31/2018 7:11 pm

@healthyalmonds, @silverlight22

Hasanyone tried using topical probiotics? I wonder if the addition of a third party "good bacteria" would break this cycle. AOBiome is researching ammonia oxidizing bacteria as a treatment for acne. The cosmetic product they have available is Mother Dirt AO+ Mist. I use it on my body but I haven't gotten around to reculturing to see if staph is still present.

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 02/01/2018 5:40 pm

@silverlight22

That's really cool about what you learned with C. kosneri. I wonder which between doxy and minocycline works best against the two species of bacteria. My general understanding is that the doxy works well against Staph, but both antibiotics target the same thing, protein production in bacteria.

I've tried betadine (iodine) in my nostrils, after reading about how it is used in hospitals for wound cleaning. I created a thread on my subreddit that talks about trying it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Staphacne/comments/5dkzjy/cotton_swabs_soaked_with_povidoneiodine_as_an/ Although, I learned it was wholly ineffective against S. aureus and I no longer use it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Staphacne/comments/6d0amp/triple_antibiotic_ointment_neosporin_may_be_more/

It may work against C. kosneri, however, and it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot!

@TaleTrekker

I have tried a type of probiotic treatment, but it didn't help rid of my nasal Staph. I knew from testing that my ears carried S. epidermidis but not S. aureus. I was hoping to colonize my nostrils with my ear bacteria. I first cleaned my nostrils with rubbing alcohol.Then I used a sterile cotton swab and rubbed my ears with them. I next rubbed that swab into my nostrils. Even though S. epidermidis naturally lives in the nostrils, I wasn't able to have that bacteria out competemy nasal S. aureus, and I still tested positive.

I haven't used any third party products. If you do try one, keep us updated with how things go!

MemberMember
(@ap13)

Posted : 02/04/2018 9:45 am

On 1/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, silverlight22 said:

After doing some research (and there is very limited material available for this online), I found that overuse of tetracycline group antibiotics cause this bacteria to overgrow as they mess up the skin flora. Like staph, it grows in your nose but can spread.

For someone who only understands about 25% of what you're saying, does this mean I should not apply Hibiclens to my face? I have been swabbing my nostrils and ears, as well as washing my chest, back and neck with it, which has shown OK results, definitely an improvement, but still getting pustules on my neck and back and sometimes face. Would be interested in putting Hibiclens on my face to improve results but not if I will end up in some kind of biological warfare with my bacteria 

MemberMember
(@beru)

Posted : 02/04/2018 10:20 am

On 9/19/2014 at 7:58 AM, healthyalmonds said:

All over my face but mostly my lower forehead, cheeks, and chin. I knew I had Staph in the nose but I incorrectly made the association that since the pimples weren't predominantly around my lips, that meant it wasn't coming from them.

I was a HEAVY carrier. I believe I was scratching/touching my nose and touching parts of my face. Those areas were more conducive to Staph causing the boils to develop.

Maybe you should try oxy10 at home and also go for facial regularly. Dun touch the face with dirty hands and do wash your face if its dirty (but not too much).

Take more vitamin E and C. Drink more water and take in more fruits.

I went to Radium Medical Aesthetics and I think the program is good but not sure if its suit u or not.

https://radium-aesthetics.com/program/agnes-acne-elimination-program/

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 02/04/2018 3:18 pm

@ap13

Hair on the scalp can also be colonized by S. aureus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC472824/ That may explain your persistent neck and back acne.

I carry the bacteria on my scalp. https://www.reddit.com/r/Staphacne/comments/7rveo3/the_scalp_can_be_colonized_by_staphylococcus/ I bought a chlorhexidine shampoo (pet formulated) from Amazon and have seen positive results in ridding the scalp Staph.