Notifications
Clear all

Tried Literally Everything! What Do I Do?

MemberMember
(@valentina09)

Posted : 09/09/2014 6:34 pm

I just wanna start this off by saying: UGHHHHHHASFGAYUGFYUAGFYFYUAGFEYTY FG ABFAFB GUAYG UAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am literally at my wits end with acne. It has never been this bad before and in the past I have always been fairly calm about the whole acne situation and when something didn't work I would suck it up and keep positive thoughts about how the next thing would work however, every "next thing" I tried never worked. (Yes, even the regimen!) (And yes, I gave it time (a year) and followed all the directions extremely carefully!) The weirdest part about all of this is that my acne is not cystic which I think would be the hardest to get rid of. In fact, I don't even get whiteheads that often. Maybe 2 a month? Sometimes not even that! I am 17 and I've had the same acne since I was 11. I actually don't even know what to call it. Along with blackheads along my lipline and forehead, I have red bumps that always leave a bright red mark, no head to them, last about a week sometimes more, and are never in one place, pretty much I never know where one will pop up. But in the last 8 months or so I saw a lot more on the side of my face and cheeks and around my mouth than on my temples or forehead where I used to get the most! I still will get one or so on my forehead a week sometimes none which is strange. I have bacne as well and I know it seems like nothing to people who have had to deal with actually cysts that leave actual scars not just red marks that do eventually fade. But to me, this is huge. I have a ton of marks and makeup doesn't really do that much but I still wear makeup (I've tried 4 months wearing no makeup and no change in acne.) The worst part of acne, no matter what kind you have, and something I think everyone with acne can relate to is, the emotional affect of it. I am a junior in high school and I feel like I've missed out on so much. I can't even begin to tell you all the opportunities I've missed out on because of it. I will be getting ready for college and my move to NYC next year and I honestly cannot bear the thought of still having acne in a year when I will be going through such an exciting time but not being able to enjoy it because of acne. I guess I'm just asking for help one last time before I just give up and be depressed and live with my acne. Finally, I just want to say that obviously I haven't tried everything, that's why I'm posting this to see if I've missed anything and yes, somethings have worked but never to a 100% clear point, or really even 90%. And I've found that while a lot of these things I've tried have helped and treated the acne on my face none of them have prevented new acne from forming which kinda defeats the purpose.I will list everything I've ever done and my current routine with products.

Thanks for reading this, Valentina.

Everything I've tried:

Proactive, Neutrogena, Clinique (All the systems and big name skincare brands, you name it)

Chemical exfoliators, AHA, BHA, Sulfur, etc

The regimen (At first worked, then skin got used to BP and like I said above, the regimen didn't prevent new acne, at least for me)

Dermatologist (I literally cringe when I think of how much my parents have spent over all these years ) Antibiotics Retinoids, Topicals, (went to 4 derms and none would give me accutane?!)

Hollistic/ Natural (My mother is big on this so I've tried this many times over the last few years and what I'm currently doing) Lemon juice, ACV, Vitamins, honey, tea tree oil, witch hazel, argan oil, aloe vera, coconut oil, etc..

Toothpaste and deodorant are natural

And finally diet- I have been vegan for 6 months and haven't noticed a big difference.

Current routine-

3 times a week exfoliate with baking soda

morning- wash face (olay sensitive skin)

witch hazel on a cotton ball

neutrogena oil free moisturizer sensitive skin

cetaphil sunscreen

laura mercier silk cream foundation (I use a beautyblender to apply)

nars creamy concealer

tarte blush

nars luminzer

nars bronzer

jouer lip gloss

mac paint pot

smashbox mascara

rimmel eyeliner

night- bioderma makeup remover (if I don't have this I use a random cheapy from the drugstore!)

then I lightly use a washcloth

wash face (olay sensitive skin)

witch hazel

neutrogena SA pads

and finally 100% argan oil by josie maran.

Now tell me what I'm doing wrong and if any of the products I use could be making my skin worse. Thank you so much

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 09/09/2014 8:05 pm

It could be the sunscreen breaking you out

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/09/2014 11:26 pm

I see quite a bit of issues with your routine, and, frankly, you need to keep it much more simple. I've put notes on sections of your routine

Current routine-

3 times a week exfoliate with baking soda -- Baking soda is an irritant. My daughter used this and it made her acne worse.

morning- wash face (olay sensitive skin) -- see below in night routine

witch hazel on a cotton ball -- You'd be better off using a salicylic medication instead of witch hazel, which really does nothing. (I only recommend Lumiplexion SA)

neutrogena oil free moisturizer sensitive skin - Neutrogena breaks many people out. The stuff is cr*p in my book - the whole line.

cetaphil sunscreen -- Cetaphil also breaks people out. For sunscreen, I only recommend Lumiplexion. Eucerin used to have a good one, but that's the only other store brand I would recommend and they changed the formula years ago.

laura mercier silk cream foundation (I use a beautyblender to apply) - Avoid cream foundation if you can. Use a mineral foundation. It won't cover as well, but it also won't give make your problem worse.

nars creamy concealer -- use a mineral concealer if you have to

tarte blush -- I would avoid blush while treating acne

nars luminzer -- avoid

nars bronzer -- avoid - the less you put on your face the better

jouer lip gloss

mac paint pot

smashbox mascara

rimmel eyeliner

night- bioderma makeup remover (if I don't have this I use a random cheapy from the drugstore!)

wash face (olay sensitive skin) -- Olay is not an acne sensitive company. Their products are not geared for acne. I tried this stuff and it gave me a rash. I would recommend either organic black soap, Dan's cleanser, Lumiplexion cleanser, or Proactiv's deep cleansing wash which exfoliates really well. You can get this off Amazon.

witch hazel --- Recommend 50/50 water and ACV. I know it says you tried it in the past. Did you dilute or use full strength? Use Braggs.

neutrogena SA pads -- Neutrogena products will break you out more than help. With ACV you don't need this.

and finally 100% argan oil by josie maran -- Avoid -- Argan will clog pores. I wish it didn't because it's a great moisturizer, but not for acne prone people.

i would also recommend you use a sulfur mask 2 to 3x a week at night after washing and before the ACV.

I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@valentina09)

Posted : 09/10/2014 10:29 am

I see quite a bit of issues with your routine, and, frankly, you need to keep it much more simple. I've put notes on sections of your routine

Current routine-

3 times a week exfoliate with baking soda -- Baking soda is an irritant. My daughter used this and it made her acne worse.

morning- wash face (olay sensitive skin) -- see below in night routine

witch hazel on a cotton ball -- You'd be better off using a salicylic medication instead of witch hazel, which really does nothing. (I only recommend Lumiplexion SA)

neutrogena oil free moisturizer sensitive skin - Neutrogena breaks many people out. The stuff is cr*p in my book - the whole line.

cetaphil sunscreen -- Cetaphil also breaks people out. For sunscreen, I only recommend Lumiplexion. Eucerin used to have a good one, but that's the only other store brand I would recommend and they changed the formula years ago.

laura mercier silk cream foundation (I use a beautyblender to apply) - Avoid cream foundation if you can. Use a mineral foundation. It won't cover as well, but it also won't give make your problem worse.

nars creamy concealer -- use a mineral concealer if you have to

tarte blush -- I would avoid blush while treating acne

nars luminzer -- avoid

nars bronzer -- avoid - the less you put on your face the better

jouer lip gloss

mac paint pot

smashbox mascara

rimmel eyeliner

wash face (olay sensitive skin) -- Olay is not an acne sensitive company. Their products are not geared for acne. I tried this stuff and it gave me a rash. I would recommend either organic black soap, Dan's cleanser, Lumiplexion cleanser, or Proactiv's deep cleansing wash which exfoliates really well. You can get this off Amazon.

witch hazel --- Recommend 50/50 water and ACV. I know it says you tried it in the past. Did you dilute or use full strength? Use Braggs.

neutrogena SA pads -- Neutrogena products will break you out more than help. With ACV you don't need this.

and finally 100% argan oil by josie maran -- Avoid -- Argan will clog pores. I wish it didn't because it's a great moisturizer, but not for acne prone people.

i would also recommend you use a sulfur mask 2 to 3x a week at night after washing and before the ACV.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice! I checked out the lumiplexion site and I will definitely be buying some things from there like the sulfur mask and sunscreen. And I will incorporate ACV back into my routine. I was wondering if you could make a routine for me morning and night if you don't mind! Because I don't really know how to use all these products together. And on top of all this, would you recommend any supplements or vitamins to take? Thanks so much!

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/10/2014 10:44 am

You can email Pamela (she's the owner of Lumiplexion). She will ask you what you've been using and she will give you a customized routine. She is kind of like your own personal esthetician because she is always available to answer questions, advice, etc. It's actually best to text her, but email her initially and tell her what you currently do and if you can, include a picture of your skin. I've been using her products for over 20 years. She knows her stuff.

MemberMember
(@valentina09)

Posted : 09/10/2014 11:02 am

You can email Pamela (she's the owner of Lumiplexion). She will ask you what you've been using and she will give you a customized routine. She is kind of like your own personal esthetician because she is always available to answer questions, advice, etc. It's actually best to text her, but email her initially and tell her what you currently do and if you can, include a picture of your skin. I've been using her products for over 20 years. She knows her stuff.

Thank you! I will be sure to email her tonight!

MemberMember
(@newdawn)

Posted : 09/11/2014 7:38 pm

Acne is a genetic disease. You won't be able to get rid of it unless you take accutane. I'm 24 and have had acne since I was 11 (close to the same age as when yours started) and have just started accutane yesterday and have already noticed a subtle improvement - less inflammation.

I had a huge HUGE cystic pimple on my chin that formed three days ago that was packed full of pus and in less than two days later it's turned into a red mark already. I honestly can't believe how fast acting accutane is proving to be. Definitely a miracle drug.

Maybe be try and get another derm to prescribe it for you? I would advocate for yourself. It's a great drug and will take away the hastle of bothering with all this other stuff (diet,skin care, supplements)

MemberMember
(@valentina09)

Posted : 09/13/2014 7:31 am

Acne is a genetic disease. You won't be able to get rid of it unless you take accutane. I'm 24 and have had acne since I was 11 (close to the same age as when yours started) and have just started accutane yesterday and have already noticed a subtle improvement - less inflammation.

I had a huge HUGE cystic pimple on my chin that formed three days ago that was packed full of pus and in less than two days later it's turned into a red mark already. I honestly can't believe how fast acting accutane is proving to be. Definitely a miracle drug.

Maybe be try and get another derm to prescribe it for you? I would advocate for yourself. It's a great drug and will take away the hastle of bothering with all this other stuff (diet,skin care, supplements)

I have looked into more derms but I really don't think they will prescribe me accutane. Most of my acne has no heads to them or pus in them. They are literally just red bumps, and I never get cysts. But the problem is, is that every one of these red bumps leave a mark and now my face has so many marks. I think I will stick to natural and watching my diet but if I don't see improvements within the next 6 months, I'm definitely going to go on a search for a derm who will prescribe accutane for people with mild acne because I can no longer deal with the disease that is acne! Btw, I'm so happy accutane is working for you and I hope it will get rid of your acne once and for all. Acne really is such a pain and I'm sorry you are dealing with it, but at least everyone here is/was in the same boat as us Good luck, and thanks for the advice!