Notifications
Clear all

More People Should Document Their Journey

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/18/2014 5:46 pm

Hey all! I've been a member here since 2011 and it's been like a 2nd home for me. You've been there for a few of my ups and all of my downs (including the current one). As i was looking through the forums, I am noticing that not many people are blogging/logging about their experiences on a consistent basis. This is frustrating for me as when I want to start a new medication, I want to have something to compare it to. The accutane forums seem to be the only exceptions.

I feel as if people are afraid to peel back the mask and show their true skin (literally) or bare their feelings as they go through the process.

What are people so afraid of? The holistic forum is especially notorious for this as people say they clear up but you don't have the opportunity to see before, during and after pictures or the process. It's as if people are afraid of being judged (which is a real fear as i've had people criticize me, even on this site).

I encourage all of us to pull back the masks, be honest with our feelings and invite others into our journey.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/18/2014 6:25 pm

I started a log but I haven't updated it much lately because my skin has been causing me anxiety lately. I think I will start updating it again, though :)

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/18/2014 6:33 pm

For me it has nothing to do with sharing with others on this forum. It has to do with the fact that this is the internet, and pictures you post of yourself become a public commodity when you set them free to the world wide web. I'm not comfortable sharing my acne with the whole world, even if they are unlikely to find it. I try to be as honest as I can, and I have shared some pics privately with those I am close to on here.

I realize that I can edit out features that identify me, but sometimes there are recognizable features you just can't edit (I have a birthmark on my lip, close to where my acne was most noticeable). If someone who knew me in real life (say a student of mine or a co worker) saw the pic, they would at least suspect it was me, and I have enough other info on here that it wouldn't be hard to confirm.

To be totally honest, I find it kind of aggravating that people (not you, but some) kind of bully others into sharing pics as though they owe it to the world. Looking at pictures of myself with acne is painful, and I don't owe putting myself through that to anyone.

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/18/2014 7:36 pm

I definitely agree with this post, mostly in regards to the holistic boards. I hear success stories with dietary changes and things that aren't necessarily backed up with evidence or have little scientific basis, and so it can be a little frustrating when you don't see proof of the success. However, I also understand the fear of sharing pictures online, even on here and so I can see both sides of it. For me, personally, I have accepted that my skin is awful and so I don't take much offense to negative comments anymore (at least not as much as I used to)...I suppose that makes it easier for me to share images online.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/18/2014 10:22 pm

For me it has nothing to do with sharing with others on this forum. It has to do with the fact that this is the internet, and pictures you post of yourself become a public commodity when you set them free to the world wide web. I'm not comfortable sharing my acne with the whole world, even if they are unlikely to find it. I try to be as honest as I can, and I have shared some pics privately with those I am close to on here.

I realize that I can edit out features that identify me, but sometimes there are recognizable features you just can't edit (I have a birthmark on my lip, close to where my acne was most noticeable). If someone who knew me in real life (say a student of mine or a co worker) saw the pic, they would at least suspect it was me, and I have enough other info on here that it wouldn't be hard to confirm.

To be totally honest, I find it kind of aggravating that people (not you, but some) kind of bully others into sharing pics as though they owe it to the world. Looking at pictures of myself with acne is painful, and I don't owe putting myself through that to anyone.

Definitely understand where you are coming from. To each his own. I've followed your log and it's very detailed and informative. Everyone has to do what makes them comfortable. I hate seeing myself with acne in pics as i get the privelage of seeing myself with acne in real life but it heps me get the negativity off my chest, document progress or lack there of and hopefully help someone else going through the struggle.

Thanks for the input