Notifications
Clear all

Started Anti-Depressants - Again

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/10/2014 7:55 am

So went to docs today and she has prscribed me anti-depressants. Its Citalopram again, starting with 10mg. I am severely anxious about my skin right now and really hope they do help with that AND with my sleeping.

BUT! I will honestly tell you that I am a little bit nervous about how they may impact on my skin. A quick forum search on here suggests that AD's can make acne worse for some people. So I am a little nervous about that...quite nervous actually :(

MemberMember
(@zkay)

Posted : 07/10/2014 9:06 am

Hey,

I would advise you not to take anti-depressants. I suffered from quite severe depression not too long ago. Previously, my dad had depression. He had been taking anti-depressants for years but it did not cure him. A family friend who is a doctor advised him to stop taking anti-depressants and to exercise, take omega 3 tablets etc. Thank God, he has been well for some time now. He advised me to do the same. I started to exercise regularly, between 3 to 5 times a week. Being a muslim, I used to pray frequently too. Initially I felt more positive and happier. I no longer have depression and am enjoying life. I think you also need to find the cause. What is it that is making you depressed? Then you should try to address it. For me, my skin was a major factor and so once my skin started to improve I started to feel less depressed.

Should you still want to take the tablets I would advise to not think too much about the effect it will have on your skin. The more you stress, the more likely you are to breakout. I suppose your overall health is more important in any case.

I hope I have not stated anything wrong. If I have I apologise. I just wanted to share my experience with you.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/10/2014 10:53 am

Good Luck! I tried anti-depressants but they did not work for me. Magnesium helps with the stress and not looking in the mirror plays a part. Most of my stress is 100% related to my skin so i know the feeling. If you need this to function, then take it. The alternative of letting your acne take over your life is much worse. If you even need to talk PM me.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/10/2014 12:33 pm

I take citalopram and I think it's great. I'm not depressed, but I do have a ton of anxiety (mostly about my skin) and the citalopram really helps.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/13/2014 10:54 am

I appreciate your response!

I actually decided not to take them ,YET. I guess I got kinda anxious about taking them and felt like they may make me even worse.

All I really need is help with SLEEP!

MemberMember
(@regq)

Posted : 07/13/2014 11:34 am

I'm 3 weeks into 20mg citalopram. No improvement on depression but I think I might have less anxiety.

I'm 3 weeks into 20mg citalopram. No improvement on depression but I think I might have less anxiety.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/13/2014 12:16 pm

Good to know Reg, my main issue is anxiety. But I have gotten myself all anxious about taking them, which is kinda ironic. Good to hear they are helpful to you though, hopefully they will help with the depression side of things shortly :)

MemberMember
(@zkay)

Posted : 07/17/2014 4:37 am

To be honest I did not have many problems with sleep. It could be because thoughts occupy one's mind which do not allow it to relax and shut down. I think it is about shifting your focus so maybe read a book or do something else which would shift your focus away from whatever is preventing you from sleeping.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/20/2014 11:25 am

I'm going to be honest.

I didn't take them. And I am not going to. I picked myself up and found a kind of new perspective on life..I am less focused on my skin right now also which is helping me sleep. I have slept every night this week!

MemberMember
(@zkay)

Posted : 07/20/2014 8:31 pm

Excellent!

I am glad to hear that. I hope you always remain positive.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 07/21/2014 10:03 am

Haha, sadly I do not think its as easy as that lol. But I, too, hope I manage to remain positive!

MemberMember
(@zkay)

Posted : 07/22/2014 9:47 am

Lol, True. However, you have taken positive steps which is encouraging as it is possibly one of the most difficult parts of the process. You always have the members of this site to support you along the way. If you ever think I can assist then you can always message me. I hope you succeed!