Notifications
Clear all

Do You Have Candida?

MemberMember
(@user5000)

Posted : 06/15/2014 4:42 am

Candida is very common in people, like myself, who have taken a long course of antibiotics. I have done the "spit test" to determine if I have candida, although I do question the science of this test, the results did suggest I have candida.

Has anyone had any success in treating candida via the diet and candida killing supplements like Candiclear and Now Foods Candida Clear?

MemberMember
(@user5000)

Posted : 06/16/2014 11:51 am

This is the third post I've made that's got no responses.

MemberMember
(@helenaw)

Posted : 06/16/2014 1:47 pm

Diet will help you if you do have this. Changing the diet to include more veggies and less sugars will greatly help you improve.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 06/17/2014 7:19 pm

Most people have candida, because it's a commensal fungus. Problems sometimes arise when the fungus overgrows, which is almost always a function of poor diet. No, you don't need to eat zero sugar for 6 months straight, but minimizing sugar consumption overall would help with such an overgrowth - although everyone should try to minimize sugar intake regardless of whether or not they think they have a candida overgrowth.

Of note, a candida overgrowth is very easy to confuse with general dysbiosis (the overgrowth of a different organism). In these cases, eating sugars might actually help, depending on what the organism in question is. Equilibrium can generally be found by eating a well balanced whole-foods diet for a long period of time (a year, or more). I would recommend a pseudo-paleo diet (paleo plus some dairy and minimally antigenic grain starches, such as rice) for this.