Notifications
Clear all

Portruding Pores/clogged Pores?

MemberMember
(@millionvoices)

Posted : 05/10/2014 1:48 am

Hey guys. Long post but I have pictures and I could really use some help 🙁 Basically I recently found out that I have PCOS and my skin has just been crap. Took accutane a couple years ago and it never cleared me up 100% (I never took birth control while on it). I'm assuming my messed up hormones got in the way. Anyways I started the regimen at the beginning of November 2013 and used cetaphil cleanser, witch hazel toner, 1 pump of BP, and olay moisturizer + AHA almost every night until about mid march this year. I stopped because at the time I stupidly thought that my skin still sucked but would eventually clear up if I used different methods (drinking more water, eliminating dairy, using new products, taking certain supplements), and the regimen wasn't helping my clogged pores and made it very sensitive, so I said "screw it"... big mistake. After stopping the regimen and using just cleanser, some random olay moistruzier meant to help even out the skintone, and taking certain supplements, I noticed my skin was obviously getting worse. A few months before, I shaved my face for its "exfoliating properties" (it also gets rid of the more noticable "peach fuzz" I get from having PCOS) and so I decided to do it again cause I had good results before. This was another stupid mistake. I didn't do it properly this time and I broke out in all these whiteheads around my mouth and other areas of my face. I bought a Biore toner and exfoliator (2% SA) and used it, and it helped get rid of the whiteheads. After that mishap, I bought coconut oil cause I heard that oil pulling helps with acne and whitens your teeth. I tried oil pulling for a few days but I also mixed the coconut oil with my moisturizer and applied it to my face for 2 days. I then broke out like crazy all over my face and it was the absolute worst thing I've ever done to my skin. I still don't know if it was the oil pulling or actually putting the coconut oil on my face, but the outcome was just terrible. I have oil pulled recently though and it didn't happen again but apparently it can cause breakouts in the beginning from detoxing? Idk...

Anyways after all that crap I started this regimen, nights only (in the morning I just cleanse, tone, and moisturize):

• CeraVe foaming cleanser
  • Witch hazel toner (85% v/v and it does have alcohol in it..)
  • Biore Blemish Fighting Astringent (2% SA, to hopefully help with comedonal acne)
  • Acne.org 2.5% BP
  • Olay sensitive skin moistruizer mixed with acne.org AHA and hemp seed oil (I tried jojoba oil before trying hemp seed oil and it clogged my pores -_-)

I did the OCM with hemp seed oil some nights instead of using the cleanser, and I would do the rest of the regimen afterwards. I also used the biore exfoliator about 1 or 2 times a week.

So while this regimen definitely helped, there are other problems now. My pores are messed up. They're basically portruding or something, I'm not sure. It looks awful to me and I also have a ton of clogged pores (forehead, chin, nose, cheeks). The thing is, when I did the OCM with hemp seed oil (it's organic and cold pressed btw), it appeared to me that some of my already clogged pores were reducing in size, and my skin just looked better overall so I thought it was working. But now I think it's actually clogging every pore on my face! When I stretch my skin I can see all of these tiny clogged pores, literally every single pore on my face looks like its somewhat clogged. I won't use it for now. Just an FYI, my clogged pores in the past (and now) have eventually turned into a pustule or whitehead. I haven't had cystic acne since accutane pretty much. My acne always leaves hyperpigmentation, whether I pick or not. Even if I gently squeeze them (clogged pores, pustules, whiteheads), my skin will almost tear and gets really irritated and red (this happened while I was doing the regimen too and I'm pretty sure I also stopped it before for this reason cause I thought my skin was getting way too sensitive).

I would really appreciate any advice on how to get rid of all these clogged pores. If there are any products I'm using that you think is the culprit, please let me know. The texture of my skin looks horrible to me. I might try bcps cause I have PCOS, or maybe spiro if I can. But for now idk what to do about my pores 🙁

Hey guys. Long post but I have pictures and I could really use some help 🙁 Basically I recently found out that I have PCOS and my skin has just been crap. Took accutane a couple years ago and it never cleared me up 100% (I never took birth control while on it). I'm assuming my messed up hormones got in the way. Anyways I started the regimen at the beginning of November 2013 and used cetaphil cleanser, witch hazel toner, 1 pump of BP, and olay moisturizer + AHA almost every night until about mid march this year. I stopped because at the time I stupidly thought that my skin still sucked but would eventually clear up if I used different methods (drinking more water, eliminating dairy, using new products, taking certain supplements), and the regimen wasn't helping my clogged pores and made it very sensitive, so I said "screw it"... big mistake. After stopping the regimen and using just cleanser, some random olay moistruzier meant to help even out the skintone, and taking certain supplements, I noticed my skin was obviously getting worse. A few months before, I shaved my face for its "exfoliating properties" (it also gets rid of the more noticable "peach fuzz" I get from having PCOS) and so I decided to do it again cause I had good results before. This was another stupid mistake. I didn't do it properly this time and I broke out in all these whiteheads around my mouth and other areas of my face. I bought a Biore toner and exfoliator (2% SA) and used it, and it helped get rid of the whiteheads. After that mishap, I bought coconut oil cause I heard that oil pulling helps with acne and whitens your teeth. I tried oil pulling for a few days but I also mixed the coconut oil with my moisturizer and applied it to my face for 2 days. I then broke out like crazy all over my face and it was the absolute worst thing I've ever done to my skin. I still don't know if it was the oil pulling or actually putting the coconut oil on my face, but the outcome was just terrible. I have oil pulled recently though and it didn't happen again but apparently it can cause breakouts in the beginning from detoxing? Idk...

Anyways after all that crap I started this regimen, nights only (in the morning I just cleanse, tone, and moisturize):

• CeraVe foaming cleanser
  • Witch hazel toner (85% v/v and it does have alcohol in it..)
  • Biore Blemish Fighting Astringent (2% SA, to hopefully help with comedonal acne)
  • Acne.org 2.5% BP
  • Olay sensitive skin moistruizer mixed with acne.org AHA and hemp seed oil (I tried jojoba oil before trying hemp seed oil and it clogged my pores -_-)

I did the OCM with hemp seed oil some nights instead of using the cleanser, and I would do the rest of the regimen afterwards. I also used the biore exfoliator about 1 or 2 times a week.

So while this regimen definitely helped, there are other problems now. My pores are messed up. They're basically portruding or something, I'm not sure. It looks awful to me and I also have a ton of clogged pores (forehead, chin, nose, cheeks). The thing is, when I did the OCM with hemp seed oil (it's organic and cold pressed btw), it appeared to me that some of my already clogged pores were reducing in size, and my skin just looked better overall so I thought it was working. But now I think it's actually clogging every pore on my face! When I stretch my skin I can see all of these tiny clogged pores, literally every single pore on my face looks like its somewhat clogged. I won't use it for now. Just an FYI, my clogged pores in the past (and now) have eventually turned into a pustule or whitehead. I haven't had cystic acne since accutane pretty much. My acne always leaves hyperpigmentation, whether I pick or not. Even if I gently squeeze them (clogged pores, pustules, whiteheads), my skin will almost tear and gets really irritated and red (this happened while I was doing the regimen too and I'm pretty sure I also stopped it before for this reason cause I thought my skin was getting way too sensitive).

I would really appreciate any advice on how to get rid of all these clogged pores. If there are any products I'm using that you think is the culprit, please let me know. The texture of my skin looks horrible to me. I might try bcps cause I have PCOS, or maybe spiro if I can. But for now idk what to do about my pores 🙁

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/10/2014 7:35 am

Oil pulling can work for many people but it can also be disastrous for others. Why stop the regimen if it is mostly working? It seems that you are using too many products at the same time and switching frequently. Narrow it down to 1 or 2 and use it for 3 months before switching. I too had to quit the regimen because it gave me eczema and i am breaking out now.....boo. Going to visit a derm in a few weeks for next steps.

Keep your head up

MemberMember
(@millionvoices)

Posted : 05/11/2014 3:56 am

Oil pulling can work for many people but it can also be disastrous for others. Why stop the regimen if it is mostly working? It seems that you are using too many products at the same time and switching frequently. Narrow it down to 1 or 2 and use it for 3 months before switching. I too had to quit the regimen because it gave me eczema and i am breaking out now.....boo. Going to visit a derm in a few weeks for next steps.

Keep your head up

Hmm.. I think I originally stopped the regimen cause it wasn't helping my clogged pores. They all eventually evolve into a pustule or a whitehead and then leave a hyperpigmentation mark :/ I guess in my head I thought if I found a way to get rid of my clogged pores then I wouldn't have to deal with much acne or scarring. I'm gonna continue with the regimen for now since it is mostly working. It makes my skin extremly sensitive though, even when I try to extract a clogged pore very gently, the area around it bruises and almost rips open. Guess I'll just have to stop manually extracting them and find some sort of cream to get rid of them. Thanks for your advice and best of luck with your derm appointment!

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 05/11/2014 3:01 pm

Pick those fuckers. Really. Everyone is so mad or scared about picking and whatever. (Do it on non-inflammatory). If you have several of those,try to extract them in sessions. You don't want to have all your face red and ugly. Do one session every other day.

Take a hot shower,cleanse your face with something that is antibacterial. Dry it up. Grab two cotton swab or a tissue or even latex gloves so you don't use your fingers. Search the comedone and start pressing arround it. Don't squeeze it like crazy,do minor - medium strength. If the bastard doesn't come out,look for a lancet or a thin needle. Hygiene it with a couple of second of fire (matches or whatever) and then sink it on isopropyl alcohol for some seconds.

Carefully pop the top of the comedone (no that deep,just the tip). You shouldn't see blood (if you do,you picked healthy skin,but is nothing to worry about). After you pop'd it,proceed to squeeze it. A worm kinda thing should come out,be sure that you remove all of it. Anyways some times if you leave a bit of it,the rest will disappear on its own since the pore is a lot less clogged and oil can fluid freely trough it.

After that,apply hydrogen peroxide or alcohol over the pores you cleaned. The best would be to apply over the whole zone to prevent bacteria rests from the extracted comedone to contaminate another pore.

The worst that can happen is:

-You squeezed too hard,the comedone is gone but now that zone is with a red mark/inflammation/irritated. This will be gone in a couple of days. Apply aloe vera for a quicker healing. This doesn't mean a SCAR OR HYPERPIGMENTATION.

-You squeezed it correctly but there is now a pimple in the same exact spot. This can happen for two reasons: You didn't hygiene correctly during the whole process,or you left to much of the white stuff into the clogged pore. Anyways that closed comedone haves at least an 90% rate to become in a future an INFLAMED BLEMISH (pustule or even cyst) [i have to say this rarely happens to me]

-You squeezed it correctly but after some time (even months) that comedone appeared right on the same spot again. Repeat the process,it should be easier to extract it since it's recently and new.

-You squeezed it correctly and there is an scab now. Don't worry,this happens because you may squeezed it to hard,or the comedone was pretty deep. The scab will last maximum three days and is super small.

If you follow all these instructions precisely,those comedones will be out for good. You also can visit an dermatologist / esthetician to do it,if you are afraid to. They will do EXACTLY the same thing,but with a comedone extractor (i think these,have more chances to leave a red mark on your skin). The main thing is that when a person do it to you,he/she haves more line of sight. I can successfully extract the comedones on the front part of my cheeks,a bit on the sides and on my forehead,but i can't extract the ones on the really far sides of my head. Finally an professional will surely use previously a product to dilate your pores,so they can be extracted easily. This is the why of the hot shower. Steam will act the same way.

I do it myself and i don't have a single scar from these extractions. (although,i do from normal pimples). I admit that i sometimes i press to hard and my skin is red for some days. Please don't believe in people that says doing this will cause a several infection,and your acne will become x50 worse,and it will leave an awful scar,bla bla. I repeat,the worst scenario is an pimple in the same exact spot or,around the zone,you WON'T have a massive breakout all around your face. Be super cautious with the hygiene,that's the main objective to take care off.

To prevent them,just keep doing your cleansing routine. And if they come back,change your routine because: is not working good enough,or something you use is causing them (make up,over oiliness,touching your face all day long).

MemberMember
(@millionvoices)

Posted : 06/11/2014 6:17 pm

Pick those fuckers. Really. Everyone is so mad or scared about picking and whatever. (Do it on non-inflammatory). If you have several of those,try to extract them in sessions. You don't want to have all your face red and ugly. Do one session every other day.

Take a hot shower,cleanse your face with something that is antibacterial. Dry it up. Grab two cotton swab or a tissue or even latex gloves so you don't use your fingers. Search the comedone and start pressing arround it. Don't squeeze it like crazy,do minor - medium strength. If the bastard doesn't come out,look for a lancet or a thin needle. Hygiene it with a couple of second of fire (matches or whatever) and then sink it on isopropyl alcohol for some seconds.

Carefully pop the top of the comedone (no that deep,just the tip). You shouldn't see blood (if you do,you picked healthy skin,but is nothing to worry about). After you pop'd it,proceed to squeeze it. A worm kinda thing should come out,be sure that you remove all of it. Anyways some times if you leave a bit of it,the rest will disappear on its own since the pore is a lot less clogged and oil can fluid freely trough it.

After that,apply hydrogen peroxide or alcohol over the pores you cleaned. The best would be to apply over the whole zone to prevent bacteria rests from the extracted comedone to contaminate another pore.

The worst that can happen is:

-You squeezed too hard,the comedone is gone but now that zone is with a red mark/inflammation/irritated. This will be gone in a couple of days. Apply aloe vera for a quicker healing. This doesn't mean a SCAR OR HYPERPIGMENTATION.

-You squeezed it correctly but there is now a pimple in the same exact spot. This can happen for two reasons: You didn't hygiene correctly during the whole process,or you left to much of the white stuff into the clogged pore. Anyways that closed comedone haves at least an 90% rate to become in a future an INFLAMED BLEMISH (pustule or even cyst)

-You squeezed it correctly but after some time (even months) that comedone appeared right on the same spot again. Repeat the process,it should be easier to extract it since it's recently and new.

-You squeezed it correctly and there is an scab now. Don't worry,this happens because you may squeezed it to hard,or the comedone was pretty deep. The scab will last maximum three days and is super small.

If you follow all these instructions precisely,those comedones will be out for good. You also can visit an dermatologist / esthetician to do it,if you are afraid to. They will do EXACTLY the same thing,but with a comedone extractor (i think these,have more chances to leave a red mark on your skin). The main thing is that when a person do it to you,he/she haves more line of sight. I can successfully extract the comedones on the front part of my cheeks,a bit on the sides and on my forehead,but i can't extract the ones on the really far sides of my head. Finally an professional will surely use previously a product to dilate your pores,so they can be extracted easily. This is the why of the hot shower. Steam will act the same way.

I do it myself and i don't have a single scar from these extractions. (although,i do from normal pimples). I admit that i sometimes i press to hard and my skin is red for some days. Please don't believe in people that says doing this will cause a several infection,and your acne will become x50 worse,and it will leave an awful scar,bla bla. I repeat,the worst scenario is an pimple in the same exact spot or,around the zone,you WON'T have a massive breakout all around your face. Be super cautious with the hygiene,that's the main objective to take care off.

To prevent them,just keep doing your cleansing routine. And if they come back,change your routine because: is not working good enough,or something you use is causing them (make up,over oiliness,touching your face all day long).

Hey. Thanks so much for the advice. I tried this about a week ago and last night. So basically, my face looks so red and blotchy right now (the same thing happened last time, but it faded after a couple of days). I didn't use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide after I squeezed them cause I've always heard to never put that stuff on your face? Idk. I used witch hazel. The thing is, the only clogged pores that I actually seemed to have extracted properly are the ones around my nose, but those ones tend to fill up again in a few days anyways -_- A lot of the other ones turned into a whitehead, probably cause I didn't get all the gunk out. The worst part is my whiteheads and pustules are inflamed, and they hardly budge unless I steam my face with a washcloth and gently exfoliate. And also, yesterday I noticed that one of the clogged pores I extracted from last week looks like it actually scarred. It's a faint brown colour but I swear it looks a little shallow :S It's not bad though. I just really hope it doesn't happen again cause my "scarring" is usually hyperpigmentation. Luckily I only have like 3 indented scars from all the acne I've ever had, possibly 4 now. I think I should just see an esthetician to clean out my pores for me because I don't think I'm doing it right.