Notifications
Clear all

Body Acne Since Age 11 I'm Now 27 And It's Getting Worse!

MemberMember
(@peggysue87)

Posted : 05/08/2014 9:35 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site I just wanted to post my story and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I'm 27 years old I've suffered with Mild to moderate acne since I was 11. I was bullied through school called some horrible names "Spotty dalmatian Dog being one of the milder ones". I always hoped it would pass and my acne would clear up and I'd be able to wear pretty camisole tops and bikini's on holiday.

when I was 18 my doctor put me on Dianette but about 3 months later I had to come off it due to progesterone sensitivity so that's a no go. I was then put on Tetracycline and for 3 years I had the skin i'd always dreamed of not one single blemish my skin looked like porcelain and I felt fantastic so confident and Happy. But then the antibiotic stopped working and I was back at square one. Around this time I was in a long term relationship and was on the Depo shot (I've since wondered if being on the Depo for 3 years has caused some kind of long term acne problem) I was back to square one 22 years old, self concious about my backne and chest to the point where I did't let my partner look at me.

This has been the case for 5 years persistently worrying about breakouts and hiding myself from people. After I split with my ex I chickened out of Dates with new guys cause I was worried they would think my body looked disgusting. It's held me back from so much, mild use of the sun bed was the only thing that kept it under control. Last year I started going to the gym alot, I always took a clean kit, a clean towel to pat myself whilst working out and I always shower strait after a workout but It's still bad and it fluctuates despite how careful I am and I can't face the gym sometimes cause I'm so upset about it.

Last Christmas I started breaking out on my upper left arm and it's left awful scaring, My Doctor Put me on Oxytetracycline, Two Tablet's Twice a Day, It's sort of controlled the arm acne and after a month my skin looked loads better for about a month but now it's breaking out again, My Body is covered in Blackheads, and scarring and I feel Hideous. I've become very obsessive about my skin to the point where I sit for hours looking occasionally crying through feeling grotesque. I live a very healthy life style, I never Drink, I don't smoke, I eat lot's of vegetables, Drink lot's of water, exercise frequently, I've had my hormone levels tested and they are all normal! I just don't know what to do any more it's making me very depressed

Any Advise would be great Thankyou guys x

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 05/09/2014 9:21 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site I just wanted to post my story and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I'm 27 years old I've suffered with Mild to moderate acne since I was 11. I was bullied through school called some horrible names "Spotty dalmatian Dog being one of the milder ones". I always hoped it would pass and my acne would clear up and I'd be able to wear pretty camisole tops and bikini's on holiday.

when I was 18 my doctor put me on Dianette but about 3 months later I had to come off it due to progesterone sensitivity so that's a no go. I was then put on Tetracycline and for 3 years I had the skin i'd always dreamed of not one single blemish my skin looked like porcelain and I felt fantastic so confident and Happy. But then the antibiotic stopped working and I was back at square one. Around this time I was in a long term relationship and was on the Depo shot (I've since wondered if being on the Depo for 3 years has caused some kind of long term acne problem) I was back to square one 22 years old, self concious about my backne and chest to the point where I did't let my partner look at me.

This has been the case for 5 years persistently worrying about breakouts and hiding myself from people. After I split with my ex I chickened out of Dates with new guys cause I was worried they would think my body looked disgusting. It's held me back from so much, mild use of the sun bed was the only thing that kept it under control. Last year I started going to the gym alot, I always took a clean kit, a clean towel to pat myself whilst working out and I always shower strait after a workout but It's still bad and it fluctuates despite how careful I am and I can't face the gym sometimes cause I'm so upset about it.

Last Christmas I started breaking out on my upper left arm and it's left awful scaring, My Doctor Put me on Oxytetracycline, Two Tablet's Twice a Day, It's sort of controlled the arm acne and after a month my skin looked loads better for about a month but now it's breaking out again, My Body is covered in Blackheads, and scarring and I feel Hideous. I've become very obsessive about my skin to the point where I sit for hours looking occasionally crying through feeling grotesque. I live a very healthy life style, I never Drink, I don't smoke, I eat lot's of vegetables, Drink lot's of water, exercise frequently, I've had my hormone levels tested and they are all normal! I just don't know what to do any more it's making me very depressed

Any Advise would be great Thankyou guys x

What hormones have you had tested? There's MANY hormones in the body. You can't just test a few and call it a day. What have you had tested?

MemberMember
(@peggysue87)

Posted : 05/11/2014 4:03 pm

I was tested for Polytheistic ovary syndrome which came back as negative, I had all of my hormone levels tested, Testosterone Levels are normal and apparently there are no signs of any Hormonal Problems.

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 05/11/2014 10:56 pm

So you tested DHEA, OH-17 pregnenolone? DHT? We have steroid pathways in our body, and sometimes these are disrupted, either by genetics or otherwise. There are more hormones than just testosterone. You may not have PCOS, but another underlying disorder. But you will never know unless your doctor covers all the bases.

MemberMember
(@emily54)

Posted : 05/13/2014 6:23 pm

You should get a full hormonal panel done. That said, many women have hormone levels in the "normal" range and yet have hormonal acne. My hormonal levels are normal and I have bad body acne and tons of blackheads on my face and other signs of hormonal disruptions. I know how much it sucks and I feel for you.

One option that a number of women on here have tried is spironolactone. You can google it or do a search on this site for more information. I just got an Rx for it so I have no direct experience.