Notifications
Clear all

Utterly Confused & Frustrated

MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 04/17/2014 2:36 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a 19 year old male with moderate acne. My current regimen consists of (cleanser) Cetaphil gentle anti-bacterial cleansing bar, and (moisturizer) Aveeno active naturals daily moisurizing lotion. I shave gently with aveeno therapeutic shave gel using disposable 2 blade razors. I workout daily. I don't smoke. I eat a ton of veggies, drink lots of green tea and water. I have tried numerous times cutting out milk and have reaped unnoticable benefits. I don't think my diet has a lot to do with it. I have tried doing diets in the past and taking tons of vitamins for weeks. Nothing changed. I get acne the worst on my cheeks. It sometimes gets bad on my jaw and chin but it's mostly the worst on my cheeks. My forehead RARELY gets a single whitehead. I'm really confused because I have really long hair, it never touches my face, but is usually always resting on some parts of my forehead. My forehead never has breakouts. Just the odd whitehead maybe a couple times a month that heals up quickly. I've researched chinese face mapping and I don't believe that it's very accurate. If someone could please point me in the right direction here it'd be wonderful. Thank you for reading.

MemberMember
(@toxicblondy)

Posted : 04/18/2014 6:31 pm

Well do you like the cetaphil cleanser? I know that cetaphil, or atleast the bottle I have at my home has the ingredient sodium lauryl sulfate. Which is not supposed to be beneficial to acne. Sure it is a gentle cleanser, but I personally would not want to use that ingredient on my face. Also I have read that green tea for some people is not the best for acneic skin? But those are just a couple of ideas. You could try cutting that out and see if anything changes. Also do you eat gluten or soy? I have heard a lot of success stories of people pretty much curing there acne after cutting out those. Or possibly the paleo diet? Just some ideas, I hope they prove to be somewhat helpful for you :)

MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 04/21/2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't use the liquid version of cetaphil that contains SLS. The bar is free of it. As far as diet goes, I really don't see the link with my body. I've tried hardcore dieting and I never had any extreme benefits. Is there any cleanser or something you'd recommend?

MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 04/22/2014 2:15 pm

It's really all over my cheeks and on the cheek area near my nose too. Around winter I tried using aveeno clear complexion cleanser that contains a slight amount of salicylic acid in it and it was really drying. I just wish I could find a product that moisturizes and cleans at the same time without leaving my skin dry the slightest bit. I feel like no products actually even work. I'm considering just being lazy and letting my skin go, skipping showers, using water only. I don't know what to do.

MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 04/25/2014 1:42 pm

Idk, those products are really expensive and don't appear to have any magical ingredients in them. There are 100's of other similar cleansers less than $10 in stores. If anyone that reads this could please recommend me a cleanser suited for my skin type please help. I'd like to get rid of this once and for all.

faux20 liked
MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 05/02/2014 1:55 pm

Super bump.

MemberMember
(@strongbadia5000)

Posted : 05/05/2014 9:26 pm

I would try a different cleanser and moisturizer. I found something that works for me but it was trial and error. I hated Cetaphil and something in it irritated my skin. In my opinion the best cleanser is the one with the fewest ingredients. I use a few drops of Dr. Bronners baby mild soap lathered in my hands with water and it works great and is super gentle.

MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 05/14/2014 8:58 pm

Thank you! I looked into the dr. bronners tea tree castile and it seems really good. I read a lot of good reviews. The ingredients are very basic and natural. They all seem to have legit benefits for the skin. What sort of moisturizer would you recommend? Do you think the aveeno lotion is causing more breakouts or irritating existing acne?

MemberMember
(@wormholes)

Posted : 06/02/2014 11:57 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@strongbadia5000)

Posted : 06/06/2014 10:05 pm

I used Aveenos daily moisturizing lotion and I loved the way it felt and looked (not overly shiny) BUT I believe it did contribute to some of my breakouts. It is a pretty heavy moisturizer and has petrolatum in it which I am very suspicious of. I feel like anything that heavy has too much potential to smother my pores and lead to blockages. I am currently using Olay Sensative Moisturizing Lotion and like it a lot/have had no problems.