Notifications
Clear all

A Desperate Plea For Help My Son Has Severe Acne

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 03/07/2014 12:03 am

Not true at all .I did it successfully for over 10 years.theres no tolerance factor for ibuprofen. 800 mg is a moderate dose.a person is allowed up to 1200 mg a day of ibuprofen and in certain situations more if under a doctors care.the salicylic acid is wrong also.plus why does it only work great directly taken with antibiotics and not when taken at a different part of day? Not to mention that naprosen is said to have same effect with antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 03/07/2014 12:19 am

Remember ibuprofen is very different than aspirin.aspirin is what contains salicylic acids not ibuprofen

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 03/07/2014 3:40 pm

Sorry not true again did it successfully for over 10 years 800mg a day even lowered to 600 to 700 mg a day depending on antibiotic.its irrelevant on how it works anyhow its mainly safe.thousands of the elderly use 1000mg a day for bad arthritis among stronger antiflammatories like indomethacin it should be used along with the antibiotics with something in stomach to minimize any chance of bleeding with longterm use.hopefully their will be at least afew readers shrewd enough to do this in order to rid themseles of their acne ruined life

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:28 pm

Sorry not true again did it successfully for over 10 years 800mg a day even lowered to 600 to 700 mg a day depending on antibiotic.its irrelevant on how it works anyhow its mainly safe.thousands of the elderly use 1000mg a day for bad arthritis among stronger antiflammatories like indomethacin it should be used along with the antibiotics with something in stomach to minimize any chance of bleeding with longterm use.hopefully their will be at least afew readers shrewd enough to do this in order to rid themseles of their acne ruined life

One must be careful going on ibuprofen. There are a few drugs and disease interactions that can be dangerous: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ibuprofen.html

MemberMember
(@tulane)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:49 pm

I would put him on a totally vegan diet immediately! Lots of water with fresh lemon squeezed in it! Worth a four week trial. I think his acne will respond.

MemberMember
(@concernedwithothers)

Posted : 03/13/2014 4:02 am

Hello Mumma,

Just checking in to say that I am also a teen athlete who struggles with acne. I think the suggestions to cut out dairy and especially the whey are very good, and I hope your son continues with them. I personally use rice protein powder in any shake I make now. Wanted to say a few things...

1) Please don't let anyone on this forum push you or your son back into Accutane if that is not what either of you desire; nobody knows your son's body and health better than your son, and if he felt that Accutane was in any way compromising his health, it is CERTAINLY not worth the risk to go back on it. Accutane can have unfortunate side-effects that last a lifetime. Please don't let anyone push Accutane onto you as the ONLY solution; when it comes down to it, there are things more important in life than curing teenage acne, and if your son believes that Accutane was having adverse effects on his mind, then I really wouldn't take the risk to go back on it.

2) Unfortunately, some people like Orlando do not realize the level at which some athletes are competing and that yes, training can take priority over acne. "A little muscles" really doesn't encapsulate the competitive situation of a top-level athlete. If your son would rather continue to train than take an unwelcome break just to experiment with a possible solution for his acne, then I think he should continue to train. I'm sure he is at a crucial time in his high school athletic career, and acne shouldn't get in the way of the personal endeavors that he holds as important. Now, I am also a big believer in rest and recovery, and if he needs to take a break from training to heal his body and perhaps test if it will help his acne, then that's absolutely OK. But I don't believe he should let it get in the way of his athletic career. Also from personal experience, I have not found that discontinuing physical activity for long periods of time has any effect on my acne. Not to say that it might not help your son, as I really have no idea, but just my experience.

I work hard to keep my acne at bay, but at the end of the day, sometimes I have to just realize that, even if things aren't perfect, acne doesn't define me and it doesn't define your son either. I hope your son has been able to keep a similar perspective - sounds like a level-headed guy to me.

MemberMember
(@faceisflaky)

Posted : 03/21/2014 5:54 pm

any updates?

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 03/22/2014 6:40 pm

I don't know what you have done with his skin but I totally see the difference. The inflammation went down a lot and it looks better even though the redness is still there.

Keep it up ! I know it is a hard battle but he will eventually clear up with time and patience.

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/22/2014 10:59 pm

Accutane is poison. Period. It is a CHEMOTHERAPY drug that PERMANENTLY alters gene expression. That's how it "works".

Chemotherapy saved my life anf put my cancer in remission. Because of "poison" I'm still alive today and current scans reveal my organs to all be functioning perfectly.

Also Accutane is not a chemotherapy drug either, it is a retinoid. Please research properly before you type preposterous things.

I wouldn't dispute that there are things that can keep acne at bay - "the regimen" worked very well for me for several years. My dermatologist said accutane is the only cure for severe acne which I personally believe to be the case until something new comes along but I understand now why your son doesn't see it as an option so good luck with the topicals. Some of them are very good.

Accutane is poison. Period. It is a CHEMOTHERAPY drug that PERMANENTLY alters gene expression. That's how it "works".

@dscully- please stop scaremongering! We get it you don't like accutane but think about the power you have on this board to influence others and use it responsibly! It doesn't matter how you classify it, the effects of accutane are nothing like what people associate (sometimes wrongly) with chemotherapy for cancer. Have you worked on an oncology ward? I have and it makes me find your statement a bit ridiculous, sorry.

The girl is likely teenage and not very worldly hence her terrible ignorance. It's a shame that people with little to no education go around spouting out lies about something they know absolutely nothing about. Accutane is not even a standard chemotherapy drug.

MemberMember
(@junior17)

Posted : 04/09/2014 10:58 am

He is definitely allergic to something have you tried a gluten free diet ?

MemberMember
(@anthonykell)

Posted : 04/09/2014 11:41 pm

Hello OneProudMumma,

I really feel for your son. I had a similar experience in secondary school and college. I'll tell you what worked for me.

Like your son, I tried Roaccutane and had a bad experience with it (depression, not feeling myself) and tried product after product.

Eventually I decided to cut out all the products that sell themselves as acne products and just try 'regular' products, I went through face washes, moisturizers and different skin care regimes. Here is what I would like you to try for your son:

Try a simple face wash. Make sure he washes his face morning and night.

Use an oil-free moisturizer. Use it after washing.

If he gets very sweaty, have him rinse his face with water and, whenever possible, use the oil-free moisturizer after.

If his skin gets very dry, try another heavier cream for night use only. Try without first though.

I had to stick to this for a while before I saw results, but they came. Make sure your son sticks to washing his face morning and night. Have him gently rub the facewash into his face for 30 seconds or so.

I really hope this helps him.

MemberMember
(@robin19)

Posted : 05/04/2014 12:39 pm

Remove ALL grain and dariy from his diet!

MemberMember
(@toxicblondy)

Posted : 05/04/2014 3:19 pm

Post a update picture :D

MemberMember
(@oneproudmumma)

Posted : 07/09/2014 9:49 pm

I am so sorry for my delay in responding¦ I have not forgotten about all you wonderful people [some of you may not be so wonderful but hard to forget!]

It has been a crazy 6 months since I first pleaded for help for my boy.. thank you to all of you who took the time to respond and share your ideas, whether we tried them or not.. whether that idea worked or not, i want to THANK YOU for being invested in our situation.

Here is a current photo.. WOW I can't even believe it was as bad as it was in the beginning of the year!

post-375437-0-80784300-1404960174.jpg

post-375437-0-29020100-1404960477.jpg

Now I am not sure what worked but here are the steps we took:

Reduced dairy for only a short period of time.. he has now been back on cows milk for the past 4 months and eating his regular very healthy diet

Rapidly reduced intake of protein powder [hardly using at all now]

Using Acne.org Regime - cleanser/moist/jojoba religiously [costs me a fortune to get it here to Australia but scared to change product at this stage]

Using Stieva A 0.05% every night

Was taking Akanim 50 until April when the Dr changed us to Resprim Forte as he suggested that it was safer to take long term, Dr also suggested that we add a very low dose of Roaccutane [once a week] but we have not done that at this stage as we are happy with the results so far.

Also taking a dairy free pro-biotic everyday [inner health plus]

His exercise routine has in no way declined.. if anything increased [but that is what he is passionate about so if it makes him happy.. why not!!]

Most importantly, he is HAPPY and as a mum that is the #1 priority!

xx

post-375437-0-46962900-1404960262.jpg

post-375437-0-80784300-1404960174.jpg

post-375437-0-46962900-1404960262.jpg

post-375437-0-29020100-1404960477.jpg

MemberMember
(@squid31)

Posted : 07/10/2014 11:56 am

wow.. I'm very happy for your son! worked out in such a short time. Hope I can find my cure as well :(

MemberMember
(@hedgecore)

Posted : 07/14/2014 12:51 am

your an amazing mother .....my mom makes fun of me when she mad at me. :/

MemberMember
(@oneproudmumma)

Posted : 07/24/2014 6:01 pm

Hedgecore, that breaks my heart..stay strong and follow your dreams! Sometimes people say things when they are angry that they know they shouldn't that doesn't mean she doesn't love you xx

MemberMember
(@amarshgv)

Posted : 07/30/2014 10:51 pm

I am so sorry for my delay in responding I have not forgotten about all you wonderful people [some of you may not be so wonderful but hard to forget!]

It has been a crazy 6 months since I first pleaded for help for my boy.. thank you to all of you who took the time to respond and share your ideas, whether we tried them or not.. whether that idea worked or not, i want to THANK YOU for being invested in our situation.

Here is a current photo.. WOW I can't even believe it was as bad as it was in the beginning of the year!

ucne update.jpg

july.JPG

Now I am not sure what worked but here are the steps we took:

Reduced dairy for only a short period of time.. he has now been back on cows milk for the past 4 months and eating his regular very healthy diet

Rapidly reduced intake of protein powder [hardly using at all now]

Using Acne.org Regime - cleanser/moist/jojoba religiously [costs me a fortune to get it here to Australia but scared to change product at this stage]

Using Stieva A 0.05% every night

Was taking Akanim 50 until April when the Dr changed us to Resprim Forte as he suggested that it was safer to take long term, Dr also suggested that we add a very low dose of Roaccutane [once a week] but we have not done that at this stage as we are happy with the results so far.

Also taking a dairy free pro-biotic everyday [inner health plus]

His exercise routine has in no way declined.. if anything increased [but that is what he is passionate about so if it makes him happy.. why not!!]

Most importantly, he is HAPPY and as a mum that is the #1 priority!

xx

a zac pat.jpg

YES!!! Im so happy for him! I've been clear for about 3 months and it has been amazing.. so glad he is as well!! Incredible!

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 07/31/2014 4:38 am

Hello oneproudmumma, very glad for your son doing so well now.i strongly suspect the primary reason your son is doing great currently, is that he is on resprim forte a very strong broad spectrum antibiotic this is widely known as bactrim in the states.since this sulfa/antimicrobial drug works fine for him-if /when he gets resistance anyone of the cephalosporin drugs that cover skin should work great too keep everyone posted

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 08/01/2014 6:17 pm

Not sure if others have mentioned this, but maybe the over exercising is contributing to his acne by taxing the adrenals which puts other hormones off balance. Is he getting adequate rest, sleep, play, relaxation etc? Stress, whether physical or emotional, is huge.

try to get him to stop picking as that can cause scarring.

also, his skin does look dry, it needs a moisturizer. Dry skin can actually make acne worse sometimes because the skin will overcompensate for the dryness by producing more oil. Excess sebum combined with dry flakey skin will block pores and produce acne, at least in my experience.

What side effects does he endure on accutane? As scary as it can be. It can also be a lifesaver. A holistic lifestyle change is the only other way, I think. Check out thelovevitamin.com. In my opinion, all those creams and antibiotics will only make it worse in the long run, either by destroying the skin's barrier and ability to regulate itself or by elimating all the good bacteria critical for digestion, which greatly affects acne as well.

MemberMember
(@acnehelp234)

Posted : 08/05/2014 1:19 pm

My son has been fighting acne for years. We just started one week ago using Antibacterial soap 3 times a day, cleaning all bedding everyday with laundry soap using hot water, and patting face with washcloth soaked in baking soda water.after evening shower (dissolve 1/2 tablespoon baking soda in 2 cups warm water) then apply Neosporin cream. After one week his face has quit oozing and swelling has decreased substantially. Only have seen one new pimple. He is now left with red spots and sore looking areas. We will continue with the above regimen and include 4) below to begin working on the scars.

We think his acne was caused by bacteria or staph infection that was oozing from his pores. His hair is long and may have spread the infection as well.

He has eliminated all over the counter acne washes/applications. (He is not using benzoyl peroxide cream or salicylic acid washes) He is only using the above applications.

Below are the links we found helpful.

1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/72458-kill-bacteria-causes-acne/

2) [Removed]

3) http://www.livestrong.com/article/53327-overthecounter-treatment-staph-infection/

4) http://www.livestrong.com/article/505051-how-to-get-rid-of-acne-scars-fast-with-baking-soda/

Hope it helps.

Blessings.