Notifications
Clear all

To See A Doctor To To Not See A Doctor? (Pics)

MemberMember
(@octopus94)

Posted : 01/27/2014 9:59 pm

Hey there,

I've been suffering from acne for about 5 years now. I'm 16 and still having quite a bit off issues as you can see from the attached picture, and I cannot quite seem to find any solution or even slight relief. I'm not sure what type or severity of acne to classify this as, but I definitely see room for improvement.

I've tried almost every product including:

Soap and water

Proactiv

Clean and clear

Salicytic acid

Lavender, tea tree and all the "natural" products

Probably every other over the counter solution

I've tried a plethora of diet changes with no avail as well, and just cannot find anything that effects my acne. The only time I've EVER experienced any significant change is when I went to Mexico last spring break. For one week, my entire face completely cleared up and I had perfect skin. I'm not quite sure why this happened... Was it the sun? Was it my diet change for the week? Was it copious amounts of alcoholic beverages? (probably not) But I'd sure like to know.

Now I've considered seeing a doctor to find out what could help, but my parents refuse 100%. They are convinced my case is not bad enough to merit anything of the sort, nor should I be embarking upon any non-natural treatment. I'd just like to know everyone's thoughts on this.

Cheers everyone!

post-373747-0-73437700-1390876786.jpg

post-373747-0-15438400-1390877934.jpg

post-373747-0-73437700-1390876786.jpg

post-373747-0-15438400-1390877934.jpg

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/27/2014 10:41 pm

u should or else u will end up with scars

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/27/2014 11:10 pm

I think you should see a doctor, not that I think your acne is terrible, but you're so young! If you can fix this problem while you're in your teens then you definitely should. I waited until early 20s and have regretted taking so long to seek medical help! Try explaining to your parents all the OTC/natural remedies you've tried and that you want to see a medical professional for some feedback. You can always get a prescription and fill it out later, and in the mean time you can try to convince your parents.

My mom was against me taking any hormonal treatment (my acne was hormonal) but after doing a lot of research and explaining to her carefully, she decided to trust my decision!

MemberMember
(@octopus94)

Posted : 01/28/2014 3:53 am

Actually now that I think of it, before I went on the mexico trip, I had taken large dosages of fish oil pills and vitamin D3. After taking these, I had extreme cystic acne explode all over my face, causing significant discomfort. I immediately stopped taking these pills, and my acne went down, and down and down until it was COMPLETELY gone for about one week. I had a clear face.

Does anyone have an explanation to this?

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 01/28/2014 3:45 pm

You should, but again its not because you have bad acne (id do anything for skin like that), but because its causing you enough concern to post about it and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Hopefully they will be able to cure it, it doesnt look bad at all.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@octopus94)

Posted : 01/28/2014 8:07 pm

Yeah, it's not that bad, but why not search for improvement, right? I'll definitely look into some professional help.

MemberMember
(@snydercharles425)

Posted : 01/28/2014 9:22 pm

I heard that eating organic food really helps out with acne, is that true?

MemberMember
(@joshd1987)

Posted : 01/30/2014 11:52 pm

my acne is close to like yours, bad around my forehead and the sides of my face, not so bad around center of my face.

my experience has mostly been the same as yours with store-bought products so far (i've tried a lot of the same products you have - some seem like they worked for a month or two). i also had an experience where it seemed like my acne cleared up after i spent several days at the beach, getting sun. so i always assumed it was the sun that helped.

MemberMember
(@mm1990)

Posted : 01/31/2014 1:12 am

When I was your age, my acne was very similar to yours. I tried everything to cure it, but finally I asked to be put on a low dose of Accutane because the depression and antisocial behavior that stemmed from my insecurities was far worse than any potential side effects. It was definitely the right decision for me. I don't know if you want to go with such a drastic treatment, especially since your skin isn't that bad, but it can't hurt to at least talk to a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@bigpoppa615)

Posted : 01/31/2014 10:25 am

I would see a doctor -

MemberMember
(@joshd1987)

Posted : 03/09/2014 4:09 am

any update for us? did you see a doctor? if so, what did he or she prescribe? Is it working? hope things are working out for you.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/09/2014 2:11 pm

In my experience doctors and acne medications (oral and topical) have done nothing to help my skin. Over the past years it's gotten worse. I am going to be trying Benzoyl Peroxide next week which seems to be the most universally successful medication for acne (in the UK you need a prescription), but elsewhere you can purchase it online, there is one sold on this website in fact, which is a 2.5% gel.

Your acne is definitely serious enough to warrant seeing a doctor about it. If your parents refuse then try purchasing BP gel. Natural products don't do much for acne.

MemberMember
(@niklaus)

Posted : 03/13/2014 1:45 pm

trust me, you should go to a doctor.

when I first started getting acne, my parents actually offered to take me to the dermatologist but I always waved them off because I thought I could handle it with clean and clear products and what not (but I think deep down I didnt want to admit that I had a problem. I would call them pimples but in actuality, it was more severe --- acne)

when I was finally fed up with no improvement, I agreed to go to the doctor and it was the BEST thing I've done to my skin!

he prescribed me clindamycin and retin A, and I'm almost clear (except for a recent breakout I had recently. dont mind that :P. I did something to mess with my skin and I admit it was my fault)

GO TO THE DOCTOR!

MemberMember
(@clearskinavenger)

Posted : 03/13/2014 9:14 pm

Go to the doctor trust your gut It doesn't seem as bad but your young you never know it could get better or worse and plus I'm pretty sure acne affects not only you but millions emotionally as well and some of us aren't as confident to embrace the acne and act as if it's not a problem long story short Lol goto a doctor!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/14/2014 11:20 am

Actually now that I think of it, before I went on the mexico trip, I had taken large dosages of fish oil pills and vitamin D3. After taking these, I had extreme cystic acne explode all over my face, causing significant discomfort. I immediately stopped taking these pills, and my acne went down, and down and down until it was COMPLETELY gone for about one week. I had a clear face.

Does anyone have an explanation to this?

Yes, fish oil causes many to breakout.

What are you using on your face right now (cleansers, moisturizers, treatments, etc.)? Could you list the products?