Notifications
Clear all

Cysts And Hydrocortisone

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 01/13/2014 2:25 pm

Could hydrocortisone possibly help with cysts? Over the years, I have tried ice, heat, advil, BP, retinoids, etc every other method and nothing works besides cortisone shots. Since I can't possibly get a cortisone shot for every cyst, are there any other methods at home that work on the really deep cysts that take weeks/months to go away?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/13/2014 3:15 pm

Cortisone shots are the only thing that made my individual cysts go away without leaving a root or making it come to a head. However, I have noticed that if I apply a hot compress to a cyst all day on the first day I notice it pop up (i.e., before it gets super inflammed and painful), and as needed on the days after, it cuts the period that it is super inflamed and painful in half (doesn't do much for redness, though).. I have tried applying Vanos cream to a cyst (a prescription strength topical steroid similar to hydrocortisone) and I saw nothing to indicate it helped beyond what a hot compress would do.

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 01/13/2014 3:56 pm

Cortisone shots are the only thing that made my individual cysts go away without leaving a root or making it come to a head. However, I have noticed that if I apply a hot compress to a cyst all day on the first day I notice it pop up (i.e., before it gets super inflammed and painful), and as needed on the days after, it cuts the period that it is super inflamed and painful in half (doesn't do much for redness, though).. I have tried applying Vanos cream to a cyst (a prescription strength topical steroid similar to hydrocortisone) and I saw nothing to indicate it helped beyond what a hot compress would do.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately heat doesn't do much for me even when applied early and often. The thing about my cysts is that they are only inflamed and painful for 36-48 hours but they after that the huge and deep lump just stays forever and always scars.

Sucks to hear that the prescription steroid didn't help as I had high hopes for that :/

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/13/2014 5:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately heat doesn't do much for me even when applied early and often. The thing about my cysts is that they are only inflamed and painful for 36-48 hours but they after that the huge and deep lump just stays forever and always scars.

Sucks to hear that the prescription steroid didn't help as I had high hopes for that :/

Yeah, I'm sorry :( When those suckers pop up, they are sticking around for the long haul in my case as well. I do my best to reduce their size while they are in their inflamed stage, as I noticed a correlation between how big they get when they're inflamed and how long they stick around once the pain and swelling goes away. I have a few dormant ones on each cheek that have been there for months (Can't wait until they pop up again! Yay cystic acne!). I wish I had a better solution :( Aczone helped reduce the size of them somewhat, if your insurance covers it, it might be worth the shot (if it's not covered, it isn't worth the shot though). Other then that, I've got nothing except co-misery....

MemberMember
(@chae1990)

Posted : 01/13/2014 6:37 pm

I've struggled with cysts too and cortisone shots are the only thing that works. I only ever get one cyst, always in the same general spot.

I've used black drawing salve (an old ointment that's been around for years, you can get this at walmart) on my large under the skin pimples that don't have a head and it works wonders. It brings it to a head and drains it all out much quicker than letting it heal on its own. I've read that some people use this for boils. I haven't tried in on a cyst yet because I haven't had one since I made the discovery. I did read that some people use it for cysts.

The brand I have is ichtammol ointment. It smells like tar, but it has really helped me so I don't mind at all. Hope this helps.

oh....and let me add. I have also done this at the early signs of a cyst and it seems to help. Once I feel a cyst coming (you know, that painless weird squishy small bump on your face that you're paranoid about as to weather it will be a cyst or if its all in your head?) I take garlic capsules. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. You can eat raw garlic, but this is just easier. I do this in the hopes it will stop an infection and flaring up the cyst. Seems to help out. I do have a prescription antibiotic I'm supposed to stay on to prevent cysts, but it makes me sick and it freaks me out to always be on a an antibiotic.

MemberMember
(@atn)

Posted : 01/14/2014 12:32 pm

Try using spot treatment that has 10% BP with 3% Sulfur.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/14/2014 7:20 pm

I've only recently dragged myself in the quest to find a cure for my once-acne-plagued and now scar-ravaged face. The major gripe I constantly encounter is that EVERYTHING seems to be the next best thing for acne. It could be anything from Avocado to Zinc. For example, if you Google "acne" and the item of your choice (eg. avocado, coconut oil, etc), you will find article after article that purport to be the real cure for acne. Hell, even gasoline is a good medication for acne!

But there is one that I found to be a real treasure: DMSO (Google it if you're not sure what it is). I applied this before hitting the sack and left it on overnight, and the damn zit is gone by the morning. For cysts, I suggest applying DMSO throughout the day.

MemberMember
(@accordianist)

Posted : 06/25/2015 5:16 pm

I wonder if a general practitioner/primary care doc in the USA can do the hydrocortisone injections or if I have to go to a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/25/2015 5:54 pm

I wonder if a general practitioner/primary care doc in the USA can do the hydrocortisone injections or if I have to go to a dermatologist.

I don't think that PCP are disallowed from giving the injections, but you may want to seek out a dermatologist with experience giving them anyway to reduce the chance of adverse effects.