Notifications
Clear all

Is This An Allergic Reaction To Bp?

MemberMember
(@obironpaulnobi)

Posted : 09/24/2013 11:13 am

Hi. I have a quick question if you would be so generous to respond to it. I've been using benzoyl peroxide for several years and have never expericenced a problem. I've been using the 3 step AcneFree, which is a proactiv clone. Recently I've noticed my face has been looking red some days and occasionally when applying the third step, the 3.7% bp, my face will burn for a few seconds. Now, the worst part, and I can't tell if it is BP related so this is why I'm asking. I picked up one of the acnefree foam cleansers for cheap on a sale, contains 2.5% bp and have been using it on my back, shoulders, and chest. I've been using it for about a week now, possibly week and a half. About three-four days ago after I was done working out I noticed my back, traps, shoulders were severely inflamed. It looked like a very bright, intense rash. My chest not as bright of a red, but still was red. I have used bp on my back before, but very inconsistently and I didn't leave it on as long as I did with the foam before washing. Here's the thing though, it disappeared around an hour after working out. The next day, the same thing. Now this morning, I noticed the rash looking severe inflammation after I used the foam on my back and chest and used hotter water today. So it is triggered due to heat. Does this sound like an allergic reaction to BP? I know I should refrain from using it, but if anyone knows if this is consistent with a BP reaction that would help me a lot, considering that if it isn't I should see a doctor, which I don't have health insurance for lol. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@obironpaulnobi)

Posted : 09/28/2013 10:28 am

Sooooo no one responded...but that's ok! I think I figured it out. Since I left the bp foam on my chest/back for several minutes it appears to have aggravated my skin A LOT and dried it a bit out. Probably since I never really use bp on my back/chest? So after working out or using hot water, which irritates it, it turns REALLY red. While I was working out today I could feel a slight burning sensation every now and then on my traps. It goes away after about an hour or so after working out. So i burnt my skin with the bp. If anyone has an suggestions on how to heal this fast, that would be great. I'm guessing aloe might help. Hopefully it goes away within a week or so. My face also strangely has been turning red from bp, even after using it for years. I switched to the gentle version of Acnefree and have only been using the first two steps which don't contain bp and the redness seems to be subsiding slowly. I thought I couldn't go a night without bp for fear of massive breakouts but I've been good these past couple days so it was a pleasant surprise.

MemberMember
(@linnn)

Posted : 09/28/2013 8:09 pm

also just got on acne free for sensitive kit, HAD to buy a moisturizer. other than that its clearing up my face, very easy to dry out your skin still so be careful how much Bp you use. bought simple skincare rich moisturizer for night and the spf 15 one for day. also jojoba oil is so great for bp overdose. aloe is pretty good takes a few days but will work, i like to mix it with jojoba oil 2-3 drops. an oil free non-com moisturizer with like vitamin e or aloe will help dont put any more bp on those spots until it goes away or u will get even darker rougher burnt patches of skin. skip the medicated stuff on your back for now just soothe it and keep it clean, and try again with out leaving it on for so long and maybe follow up with that aloe vera gel,definitely couldn't hurt.

MemberMember
(@obironpaulnobi)

Posted : 09/29/2013 1:36 am

also just got on acne free for sensitive kit, HAD to buy a moisturizer. other than that its clearing up my face, very easy to dry out your skin still so be careful how much Bp you use. bought simple skincare rich moisturizer for night and the spf 15 one for day. also jojoba oil is so great for bp overdose. aloe is pretty good takes a few days but will work, i like to mix it with jojoba oil 2-3 drops. an oil free non-com moisturizer with like vitamin e or aloe will help dont put any more bp on those spots until it goes away or u will get even darker rougher burnt patches of skin. skip the medicated stuff on your back for now just soothe it and keep it clean, and try again with out leaving it on for so long and maybe follow up with that aloe vera gel,definitely couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the reply! I don't know why my body is suddenly having a bad reaction to bp after using it for years, but it is. I'm doing fine without bp at the moment though and my face is gradually getting less red. My back/chest still turns irritated red and burns a bit after working out/shower but it isn't as intense of a red as a few days ago so it seems to be subsiding. Will probably take a bit to fully heal. I used an oil free moisturizer with vitamin e on it today like you suggested, and I'll follow up with it every day until it is healed. Thanks!