Notifications
Clear all

Looking For General Skincare Tips

MemberMember
(@gohoos)

Posted : 09/21/2013 7:33 am

Hey all,

Im trying to get a basic skincare regimen together and could really use some help. My skin is sensitive/oily, with very mild acne and mild seb derm on my forehead. The acne usually appears as rash-like breakouts of small whiteheads and clogged pores on my forehead. I used to have moderate acne -- a couple courses of Accutane pretty much cleared things up, and I'm not ready to go down the topicals road again just yet.

Ive been using Cetaphil RestoraDerm wash and CeraVe lotion 2x daily, with OK results. The main issue is the oiliness. Ive tried several moisturizers by Cetaphil and Neutrogena with no luck on resolving the oiliness. Im usually pretty shiny by lunchtime. A derm prescribed ketoconazole and sulphur washes for the seb derm, but both were super drying so I quit using them hasnt made a big impact on the mild seb derm either way.

Id love to get some input from this group wash/moisturizer recommendations, how often to wash, how often to exfoliate. Id like to keep things as simple as possible in the beginning to I can take a scientific approach to adding/removing products in the future. Im a 25 y/o male, if that makes a difference.

Thanks very much in advance!

-Sammy

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/23/2013 7:07 pm

No cream will really stop the production of oil. You can dry out the surface (with something like sulfur, which you didn't like, or benzoyl peroxide, which has more inconveniences than sulfur), but you can't stop more oil from coming.

The only way to lower your oil production is to take Accutane, which shrinks your sebaceous glands, or to take hormonal drugs or herbs, which stop DHT from stimulating the sebaceous glands.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 09/25/2013 4:23 am

Wash/moisturizer recommendations

Something mild and preferably natural with no harsh treatment agents. Cleansing is just for getting dirt and oil off the surface of your skin; using something too harsh can upset the balance and make acne worse.

How often to wash

Twice a day and after exercising or intense physical labour seems to be the general opinion amongst the people I've talked too.

How often to exfoliate.

This really varies based on individuals. Young people can exfoliate more often than older people. Personally I can do twice a week without causing irritation but anymore than that probably isn't advisable. You'll also want to decide whether you prefer physical or chemical exfoliation.