Notifications
Clear all

Acne Cleared Up At 19 With Accutane, Now At 26 Its Back But Different, Itchy Cystic Acne

MemberMember
(@chrissy-cambell)

Posted : 08/06/2013 1:12 pm

I took rooaccutane at 19 for acne, it was horrific, the sides I got hurt my joints muscules but cleared up my acne.

Last year my acne returned. but it is different. I don;t get it on my forehead as much, it is confined to two areas.

My temples and my neck/shaving area and theres areas are ultra itchy, every day. The cysts them selves are itchy, what could this be, it has been going on for too long.

I have tried everything, anti-biotics, probiotics, topical creams, different diets. it isn't working.

I seen my derma a few months ago and he tried to put me on rooaccutane and I said no way. Now I am ready to call him back up and say get the pills ready, my neck has around 15 cysts on it and I have to go shave in about 10 minutes, a very scary thought.

Anyway, I am ready to go back on this devil drug but what is causing this itchyness, I get the itchyness before a spot appears!

I think my testosterone levels are much higher than that of an average man, I have came to that conclusion after the past few years training and realising I gain muscle very quickly, as quick as some people using steroids in my local gym. I am balding aswell very young, could it be high test levels?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/06/2013 3:17 pm

You should get your hormones tested because if it's hormonal then accutane will only keep it at bay for a while before it resurfaces. You might be able to fix it with an anti-androgen.

Could it also be caused by your razor and/or shaving products?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/06/2013 4:15 pm

All acne is hormonal in my opinion. If it wasnt you would get it before puberty. Anyway you could have high testosterone which is making it a lot worse. Its usually because you have high DHT a by product of testosterone. Do you have really oily skin and high libido too? Those are usually 3 pretty common side effects of high DHT. I too believe I have high DHT / testosterone but I haven't got my blood work checked to confirm.

Im not a doctor by any means though this is just what I have learned from reading.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/06/2013 7:25 pm

You should get your hormones tested because if it's hormonal then accutane will only keep it at bay for a while before it resurfaces. You might be able to fix it with an anti-androgen.

Could it also be caused by your razor and/or shaving products?

Anti-androgen/hormonal treatments are rarely, if used, used in males with acne because dose-related side effects, such as decreased libido, impotence, and gynecomastia, have limited their use in this population.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923944/pdf/jcad_2_12_16.pdf

MemberMember
(@chrissy-cambell)

Posted : 08/21/2013 4:08 pm

I compete in weightlifting and I will be going on accutane in the next few weeks.

First time I used this drug I got skinny as hell, looking back at photo's from that time I looked 13 years old while on the stuff, a year later I looked like a well built 20 years old.

I am not sure if accutane wasted my muscles or it was down to lack of appetite on the drug, so I simply lost weight as I was not getting enough calories?

I am going to be training through a strength phase for 2 months while on accutane which means heavy lifting, getting progressively heavier each week until I peak, its hard work even when 100% healthy but if I get the same sides as I did when I was 19, I know I will not be able to do it.

opinions