Notifications
Clear all

Shower Pressure

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/07/2013 10:12 am

For the last couple years I've been afraid to put my face directly under the shower head, unless it's one with naturally low pressure, a low pressure setting, or if I turn my current shower head down (which also makes it freezing cold within 5 seconds). My girlfriend has pretty nice skin, despite picking at it, and using a BP face wash all the time (which I personally believe would do more harm than good). So I asked her, "in the shower do you put your face directly under the high pressure stream?" and she said yes. I asked for how long, and she said about a minute or so each time.

So, I've been trying it lately, for about a week, though not every time because I'm a little nervous about it. It actually seems to be helping clear my forehead.

I'd like to know what others' experiences are. I added the poll so in case people don't feel like posting, I can get a good idea from the poll answers. But I encourage a discussion on the topic too, if anyone has any experience experimenting with different pressures or time spent in the stream, etc.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/07/2013 1:33 pm

My derm recommended that to me, too, but I don't have a showerhead, so I would dunk my head under the sink faucet instead and alternate with splashing water with my hands so that I get a good rinse...so far, i don't see any significant changes from doing that...maybe I should try leaving my head under there longer.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/07/2013 2:12 pm

its not insanely high or low.

i can still call it moderately high pressure.i feel good.

am not sure if it does any good to my skin though!

My derm recommended that to me, too, but I don't have a showerhead, so I would dunk my head under the sink faucet instead and alternate with splashing water with my hands so that I get a good rinse...so far, i don't see any significant changes from doing that...maybe I should try leaving my head under there longer.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 07/07/2013 2:17 pm

its not insanely high or low.

i can still call it moderately high pressure.i feel good.

am not sure if it does any good to my skin though!

ur derma actually said so?

yes

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 07/07/2013 3:47 pm

I never put the shower stream directly on my face. I always fill my hands and then splash. I follow the instructions of the regimen (gently wash for 10 seconds and then gently rinse).

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 07/07/2013 4:10 pm

I much prefer to let the shower spray perform the rinsing action, so there is minimal or no touching/rubbing of the face with my hands. My shower head is adjustable and I set it at a wide spray pattern, so it does not rinse harshly or anything. I have ridiculously sensitive skin, prone to folliculitis and for me rubbing= irritation= breakouts. I hate washing at the sink for that exact reason.....way too much touching/rubbing involved to get the face rinsed. Many times I will see slightly irritated bumps before I even finish a sink wash.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/08/2013 10:04 am

So I've been continuing to use high pressure for about 30-60 seconds in the shower every night. I also use warmer water than usual, and haven't been doing my usual cold spray at the end. And my forehead and cheeks look better than they have in years, I'm not even kidding. The red marks are fading rapidly. I have a breakout around my mouth but it's because I keep picking at it during the day. I have two whiteheads on my lip just screaming to be popped but I'm not going to. I feel like tomorrow my skin will look the best it has since I first started getting acne.

Now, I'm not ready to attribute this completely to the shower pressure. I've also been taking lots of vitamin C powder, and eating lots of turmeric and black pepper with my dinner. Before taking these, my face would be red and blotchy after a shower with any pressure. Basically, I had really sensitive skin, or I had some reaction to the water (chlorine or fluoride probably). Apparently, vitamin C and turmeric are both good for combating chlorine and fluoride, and detoxifying the latter from the pineal gland, which I just learned last night. I've been sleeping better as well.

Basically, I think the vitamin C and turmeric have helped my resistance to the shower water, and the high pressure has been exfoliating my face, my skin cells have been replenishing faster (probably also thanks to the C and t, the former I know assists collagen production) and red marks have been fading as a result.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 07/08/2013 12:41 pm

i am indian and we use turmeric powder in almost every curry and every dish we make.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 07/08/2013 2:24 pm

I use high pressure and I do notice a difference when I'm not. I feel like the high pressure blasts away dead skin, oil and whatever else.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 07/11/2013 12:14 pm

Bump