Notifications
Clear all

Can I Start With 5% Benzoyl Peroxide For The Regimen?

MemberMember
(@rusty-leaves)

Posted : 06/25/2013 12:14 am

Hello. So I stumbled upon this site earlier today and read through the Regimen, intrigued I rushed to the store and got the products that were recommended. The only snag however, was that there is seemingly no 2.5% benzoyl peroxide in any drug stores near my area. I first stopped off at a drug store that had the right moisturizer and cleanser, but only 5% benzoyl peroxide. The pharmacist there even went as far as to see if he could order some 2.5% for me for the following morning -- he couldn't, apparently they don't even stock it.

I then went to two different locations and called another two in the area, none of them had 2.5%, only 5% which I ended up purchasing. My question is, how important is 2.5% when compared to 5%? I can't seem to easily get my hands on it and I really want to start this "Regimen" as soon as possible, as my cystic acne seems to be only getting worse by the day, however I'm worried that a simple difference like this will only end up making it worse in the end.

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 06/25/2013 12:21 am

I started the regimen with 5 % BP for 2 weeks before I switched to Dan's BP and it worked fine but it made my skin very dry, flaky and irritated every day. You're best bet is to buy the bp online and start with a tiny amount for the first few weeks for your skin to adjust to the bp. I used the Clean and Clear's Persa Gel 5.

Edit: When I used the 5% BP, my pimples got smaller the next morning (used it twice a day) but don't expect your acne to go away overnight because it won't. That's just the nature of our acne prone skin...

MemberMember
(@five-alpha)

Posted : 06/25/2013 11:29 pm

Hi Rusty - I have used 5% BP regularly and my skin has held up fine. I had previously found that 2.5% BP had little effect for me. I do make sure that I use plenty of moisturiser afterwards to fight off the stronger drying effect of the BP.

I was in your position about 10 years ago when I "stumbled" onto this site. Dan's regimen has definitely helped me. Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 06/26/2013 8:26 pm

If you are going to start of with 5% then it should be okay. In the meantime keep looking for that 2.5% because it works just as well as the 5% and it irrates the skin less.