Notifications
Clear all

Acupuncture

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 06/12/2013 8:07 am

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if any of you have tried acupuncture for hormonal acne.

I just got my my results back and it says that my testosterone are 0.73 the normal

value is around 0.43.

So yeah I want to give acupuncture a try before trying any medications.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:00 am

This is funny because Ive been thinking about experimenting with acupuncture, if you try it let us know. I guess you could try searching aorund Google and see. Im sure I did read once though that acupuncture can be beneficial for it :) something to do with releasing stress maybe?

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 06/12/2013 4:32 pm

This is funny because Ive been thinking about experimenting with acupuncture, if you try it let us know. I guess you could try searching aorund Google and see. Im sure I did read once though that acupuncture can be beneficial for it smile.png something to do with releasing stress maybe?

yes, I read something like that too..but I need to do proper research...I will let you know how it goes:)

MemberMember
(@myjade84)

Posted : 06/23/2013 8:23 pm

I think this is true because acupuncture's philosophy states that when illness strikes, there is an imbalance occurring within the body, and this imbalance is what causes the illness. Acupuncture will take care of the imbalance and restores your health back to it's good condition. If this happens, then you can say goodbye to your acne.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:44 am

any update?

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 06/24/2013 4:31 am

I haven't started yet....I need to find a good acupuncturist first.

I will update you all when I get started :D

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/24/2013 4:43 am

are doing any study on it?

we could do some study and then discuss here.

MemberMember
(@3lilpigs)

Posted : 06/24/2013 7:16 am

I've been having acupuncture treatments once a week for the last 6 weeks. I see an internist who is also trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). He says have heat in my liver and heart. TCM cannot be looked how we view western medicine. In referring to the organs, one cannot look at each organ as individual or separate from the system as a whole.

I devour all the available information I can find on TCM, both from my Dr and online, but I'm not good at explaining. I am a believer on this way of healing the body, for sure! I have suffered from severe, debilitating anxiety for 20+ years and taken all kinds of meds as well as abused illicit drugs in the past to alleviate the affects of anxiety on me. In my 1st session of acupuncture, I felt more calm and soothed than ANY drug has ever made me feel. This calm lasted for at least 6 hrs post session (which lasted 1 hr), and the rest of the week, my anxiety was lessened to about a 4 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst ever. Previous to acupuncture, I was at an 8 on a normal basis.

As far as the effect of acupuncture on acne: it is very hard to tell. I began taking supplements at around the same time; supplements that have cleared others 100%. I began a new, gentler skin care regimen at the same time, and changed my diet. I am happy to say that I am 100% clear of ANY and ALL acne today. I get a little pimple here & there, but that's nothing I can't handle. I have been afflicted with acne, ranging from mild to severe, for 20+ years. I've done 2 rounds of accutane in my 20's, tried every OTC product, prescription, antibiotic, BC pill, lasers, peels, diets, vitamins, etc. I've spent thousands of dollars on treatments from my derm & the plastic surgeon, all this and I still had severe acne at 35.

My skin wasn't this clear during or after accutane. Now after 2+ months of these lifestyle changes, I have almost no scars, and my skin GLOWS! Not like bright red, or pink or a weird color; it is a normal skin color with a luminous glow. I have to give credit to all the changes I've made in my life for how my skin has transformed. I am in a much calmer state on a consistent basis. I eat well, I take supplements, I exercise, I meditate daily, I get acupuncture weekly, I take care of my skin. I may have done all these things in the past, but never consistently or simultaneously. The body is an integrated SYSTEM. The skin is the largest filter in this system. If one part of the system is out of sync, all parts are affected. If all parts are working in harmony, the skin will reflect it. Lol, sorry, my mom is a hippie and I was raised amongst hippies.

Ask me any questions. I apologize if I wasn't clear in my explanation. It is difficult for me to give an intro course to TCM, both as a beginner and in a few paragraphs. if you have a specific question, it will be easier for me to explain.

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 06/24/2013 8:59 am

There is isn't really any evidence that acupuncture works besides having perhaps a very mild placebo effect. I wouldn't waste my time and energy on it.

MemberMember
(@five-alpha)

Posted : 06/26/2013 12:21 am

Hi cindy2013 - I would also be very interested in how your treatment goes. I have had acupuncture in the past (though not for acne) and it has help me tremendously. Since you mentioned testosterone, are you planning to have an another test done after the acupuncture treatment to determine if it was able to return your testosterone to normal levels?

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 06/26/2013 10:48 am

Hi cindy2013 - I would also be very interested in how your treatment goes. I have had acupuncture in the past (though not for acne) and it has help me tremendously. Since you mentioned testosterone, are you planning to have an another test done after the acupuncture treatment to determine if it was able to return your testosterone to normal levels?

lol yes I want to know if the treatmeant (acupuncture) worked :D

how many times (a week?) did you get acupuncture

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/26/2013 11:35 am

i have an acupuncture kit somewhere but am not sure how exactly i should eb using it for my skin.

can u guys suggest anything to do thats simple and easy to fit in a busy college life (preferably something to do at home or may be on the go)?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/27/2013 12:05 pm

I have been getting acupuncture treatments for nearly 2 years now, and I have seen great results in my overall wellbeing. It hasn't directly helped me with acne, but it targets the body's health as a whole. It can do wonders for stress reduction, blood toning (for anemia), energy, sleep, etc. The key is finding the right acupuncturist for you. I have rotated acupuncturists, and some were good for me, others were not. I would also advise starting with gentle treatments (immunity boosting, stress release etc) rather than cleansing or hormonal treatments because your body might have an adverse reaction to those initially. You need to gradually build up tolerance for the treatments. I discovered that many acupuncturists are not experienced in women's health or hormonal issues, so now I usually just ask for a blood toning treatment or a stress treatment, and I still notice a difference in how I feel and how my skin looks afterwards. I have to get treatments regularly (every 2 weeks) to see a sustainable improvement though. The acupuncturist I am currently seeing also does red light therapy on my face. They are a high-tech acupuncture place and use the latest technology in acupuncture and skin treatments.

@aanabill - self-acupuncture is not recommended. You should see a licensed professional for proper acupuncture treatments. They might show you specific pressure points or put seeds around your ear lobes (with pressure points) for you to do at home, but you shouldn't do acupuncture on yourself without the guidance of a professional acupuncturist. Some Chinese schools offer student discounts.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/27/2013 12:46 pm

thank u wishclean but i dnt think there's any such acupuncture parlour in my city.at least no where around where i live.

i will just have to stick to light exercises and meditation i guess.=(

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/27/2013 1:22 pm

Yoga and meditation help. Also breathing and biofeedback exercises that you can find online. But do not use needles on yourself for acupuncture, you might make things worse and cause more damage.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/28/2013 2:15 am

needles?

actually the kit i have doesnt have needles or stuff that looks dangerous .lol

i will try to take a pic but just to describe a bit.

there's this log shaped roller(wooden) with spikes and we r just suppose to sit and place the roller below the feet and roll.

the spikes sort of massage the lower side of the feet.

similarly there's other small tools with or without spikes of different sizes/shapes thats more for massaging purposes.