Notifications
Clear all

Black Drawing Salve For Cystic Pimples?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/07/2013 4:13 pm

Anyone here used this before? I bought it on amazon because some ppl mentioned it works on acne pimples and cystic pimples. But i also read it caused huge problems for a few ppl though some others say they dont know if its true or false. I know these are for boils and for moles and other related stuff. I heard ppl use it for insect bites.

Is this safe to try? Have a few huge cystic pimples thats red and inflamed around my jawline area. If it is used for insect bites that are big, would it be fine for cystic pimples that are huge, painful and inflamed?

MemberMember
(@uselessinfo)

Posted : 06/07/2013 4:57 pm

Yes Drewfish. Ichthammol ointment or "black drawing salve" will help with cysts, cystic pimples, ingrown hairs, mosquito bites, spider bites, burns, & even splinters.

It's been around for we'll over 100 yrs (originally for horses when they developed infections around their hooves) and I've been using it for cysts & cystic pimples for years.

Note: do not use on or close to tattoos as it may discolor the ink, it's going to smell & look like a paste form of tar, will stain clothing, and make sure to get the strongest form available- 20% concentration. A company called "Smiles" has it available in a pocket sized tin (not as messy as the liquid) and is practically undetectable on the face when in public). It's called "PRID" and Walmart has it in the pharmacy for $3.24

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/07/2013 5:08 pm

Can i use it during the day at home inside? Would a bandage be absolutely necessary? Read many ppl use it at night and cover it with bandage.

MemberMember
(@uselessinfo)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:49 am

The cream or ointment version does suggest that you put a bandage over it. Generally you only need a small amount per pimple or cyst- about 1/2 the size of a #2 pencil eraser should do- apply twice a day.

The "PRID" version is the consistency of lip balm, generally drip a tiny bit of water on it, swirl around with your fingertip and apply to the pimple as you would with something like Proactive. Both display directions that two applications per day will be sufficient and they differ in whether you have to use a bandage.

If you're going out, use the PRID canister because it applies colorless where the ointment looks like tar resin from a tobacco pipe.

Ideally use the ointment cream when you're staying home before bed and cover it with a sterile gauze or band aid

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:01 am

This is what i purchased

https://www.amazon.com/Perrigo-Ichthammol-Ointment-20%/dp/B005ZDD19Y/

Have you put this on an inflamed pimple that is cystlike? I have a few of them on my jawline thats very inflamed and painful.

http://www.acnetreatmentserum.com/cystic/

I have about 3 of these on my face. Two are on the jawline area and one on my cheeks. Would using this work? This is what you call cystic pimple/acne correct?

MemberMember
(@markrusell)

Posted : 06/08/2013 2:33 am

I think you would with something like Proactive. Both affectation admonition that two applications per day will be acceptable and they alter in whether you accept to use a bandage.

MemberMember
(@uselessinfo)

Posted : 06/08/2013 10:32 am

Yes Drew. That is the product I have. It is safe to use, and that was exactly what I was referring to when I said cystic pimple

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:44 pm

Hi. How long did it take to see results? Did it just make the cystic pimple less red and smaller? Or does it actually draw it out and rip the skin off? Someone mentioned that their skin area actually changed as well such as the texture of it. Did you get any of that?

MemberMember
(@uselessinfo)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:58 pm

It doesn't rip your skin off. It helps to minimize the inflammatory effects of the pimple/cyst. The purpose of Ichthammol Ointment is to draw the contaminants to the surface of the skin thus the common name of "drawing salve".

Most cystic pimples are the result of an ingrown hair that has become infected at the root, the salve will bring the infectious puss to a head where you can pop it. Once that occurs, clean the area with hydrogen peroxide, dry, and reapply the ointment under a band aid. This can take some time depending on the size of the pimple. Usually a week or so

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:02 pm

I dont have hydrogen peroxide. Would just using water be fine? Would you say this is one of the best spot treatments for cystic pimples? I read a few ppl reviewed this and said i couldn't believe no one ever told them about this product. But i also assume you are familiar with ppl who had very bad negative reactions to it?

MemberMember
(@uselessinfo)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:06 pm

Ammonium bituminosulfonate

Ammonium bituminosulfonate (ichthyol or ichthammol, CAS#8029-68-3 brand names: Albichthyol) is a product of natural origin obtained in the first step by dry distillation of sulfur-rich oil shale. It is used in medicine as a remedy for treating some skin diseases, such as acne, eczema and psoriasis. It is commonly used in 10% or 20% concentrate ointment form as a "drawing salve". However, it does not actually draw out foreign objects. It does soften skin over a boil or spot allowing it to come to a head sooner. It also decreases microorganisms in the area surrounding a skin condition. It is sometimes called "black ointment". Its dermatological action was discovered by German physician Paul Gerson Unna.

Everyone's skin can react differently, I personally never had a bad reaction to it. It mainly helps to speed up the boil or pimple in coming to a head to allow it to be extracted from the skin

Warm water would work instead of hydrogen peroxide

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:19 pm

Hi one last question. Im going to try this during the day as i will be inside. If i put it on during the day, would that be enough time to show if it works or not? I dont want to use it at night when i sleep because i dont want to wake up and then see something wrong has happened. Thus if something doesn't feel right when i have it on, i can just wash it off.

Also read a person mention after they put it on for 2 hours, they felt the cyst pimple coming off. Do you think that could be real?

MemberMember
(@uselessinfo)

Posted : 06/09/2013 9:30 am

You can use it during the day, I doubt that you will feel it "coming off" within 2 hours. You may however notice a drastic improvement on the size of it & amount of inflammation

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/09/2013 12:40 pm

okay im using it now.

Can you tell me how your pimples were like when you put the cream on ? Was it cystic?

http://www.acnetreatmentserum.com/cystic/

This is how mine look like. It should work?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/10/2013 6:24 pm

So i been using it for 3 days and only during the day then wash it off at night.

What i noticed is one huge cystic pimple i had, that big cystic pimple seems to have went from 1 huge cystic pimple to 3-4 smaller ones. Its still under the skin etc like a cyst.

Is this normal?? Is this what is meant by drawing it out? The thing is i thought it would just get smaller and well its probably the same size still except the pimple is like 3-4 spots all close together instead of 1 big one. I tested this one one big cystic pimple only and not the ones ones.

Is this normal???

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:28 pm

anyone have opinion on this?

MemberMember
(@kc0220)

Posted : 08/08/2013 3:05 pm

Hey, I actually tried drawing salve probably 4 years ago. It basically stained my skin & didn't do anything for me. I'm sure it won't hurt to try, but that's just my experience. Have you tried anything else?