Notifications
Clear all

Help With My Acne!

MemberMember
(@ihaveacnee)

Posted : 03/31/2013 12:41 pm

Im 16 and have had acne for 4 years now. I've tried clearasil, oxy, freederm and simple with no results at all... I mainly get it on my chin and upper lip but less often i get a few on my temples and forehead. i lead a fairly healthy lifestyle but do eat a fair bit of chocolate. go to the gym a couple times a week. the gym i go o has a steam room and sauna which i dont use, would this be beneficial for my acne?

Currently i was my face with normal soap morning and night and use a Nivea for men moisturiser in the morning

I have also tried quinoderm cream with no results at all

Can anybody give me advice on how to control it and what type of acne ive got ?

post-205783-0-80444600-1364751314_thumb.

post-205783-0-80444600-1364751314_thumb.

MemberMember
(@fashionmoney)

Posted : 03/31/2013 12:58 pm

Not to offend you but the stuff your using really isn't any good. If you have acne prone skin which basically everyone on this site does, you have to use things that are non-comedogenic (which do not clog pores)

Never use soap on your face!!

Cetaphil & Cerave both are good brands for that & are very known on this site. they both make cleansers & moisturizers. I personally use cetaphil but that's just me.

Another thing is if your acne is persistent, you could consider using a topical gel with bp(benzol peroxide) if you do go that route make sure you moisturize because bp will dry your skin out & dry Skin can cause breakouts. I use epiduo gel which is amazing.

You say you eat chocolate? Stay away from that man, I haven't eaten chocolate or drank soda in literally 2-3 years, yeah it was hard but I noticed a significant change in acne around my mouth, no more stubborn pimples except for the rare one.

Also your acne looks like it could be from shaving, maybe shaving bumps, ingrown hairs? I use to get those a lot til I stopped shaving, I now only trim as low as possible, I'm actually scared to trim my mustache all the way down because ever time I do that I break out there for like a month straight. So I just touch it up now. There's a shaving section on here If you need some advice.

The sauna could be beneficial because it will open up your pores & clean them out. That's up to you it won't hurt your acne.

Remember to drinks lots of water!!!

(That's literally all I drink no bullshit)

And if you have dry skin remember to moisturize!! I can't stress that enough.

MemberMember
(@buttsoup)

Posted : 04/01/2013 4:20 pm

Seeing you're only 16 years old, there is a 90% chance it's hormonal. In other words there isn't much you can do about it. I'm sorry, but that is something that you will have to accept. You can however make the acne less severe and thus less noticeable.

1. Wash your face when you wake up and before you go to bed. Choose a very mild cleanser with a neutral pH level. If you are using a very strong cleanser, then you will completely wash off all the oils off your face, including the good ones. Your body will make up for the loss of oils by overproducing oils, resulting in more acne. This brings me to the following step, moisturizing. Try to find a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic and doesn't contain oils. You also want it to be quite light, or atleast not thick and it should be able to be easily absorbed into your skin. You can go through Dan's product list to see what your moisturizer should and shouldn't have.

2. Considering the sauna, I wouldn't bother too much with it. People with acne prone skin usually have quite sensitive skin. II wouldn't recommend going in a sauna more than once or twice a week. I'd completely skip the sauna, but if you really feel like it would be beneficial for your acne then I'd advise you to steam your face before shaving. Just boil some water and after it's boiling, bring the pan somewhere where you can sit. Then put a towel over the pan and stick your head beneath it. Sit there for about 10 minutes and then you can start shaving. When it comes to shaving you want to use a razor, because that won't irritate the skin as much as an electrical shaver and will also function as an exfoliator. Just remember to time this together with your morning or nightly cleanse. You don't want to be cleaning your face more than twice a day.

3. DO NOT EVER TOUCH YOUR FACE, EXCEPT FOR WHEN YOU ARE CLEANING IT DURING THE MORNING OR NIGHT!

4. Regularly change your pillowcovers. I change mine every two days. I'll sleep once on one side and once on the other side.

5. You could be anal and change your diet like alot of people do on these boards, I however wouldn't bother with it too much. It's going to be a hassle and it probably won't make your acne go away, as it is most likely a hormonal thing. Just follow my advice and I'm sure your acne will improve.

6. If you really aren't getting the results you want, you can try anti-biotics. They worked wonders for me, BUT that doesn't go for everyone. They are also very bad for your digestive system, because the anti-biotics kill all bacteria, the bad as well as the good. I'd try this as a last resort.

Goodluck. :)

MemberMember
(@ihaveacnee)

Posted : 04/05/2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's just frustrating haha! I also noticed last year from July to end of September I had clear skin with just maybe 1 small spot every week. I reckon the sun works wonders for my acne. Gonna buy me a new moisturiser as mines pretty rubbish

MemberMember
(@pizzaface1012)

Posted : 04/05/2013 6:27 pm

You should be using a daily facial cleanser with AHA (alpha hydroxy acid). The AHA will gently exfoliate your skin keeping your pores from getting clogged with sebum and dirt which causes the acne. Stay away from any facial products that contain chemicals and gritty stuff as the chemical made products are only to give the product years of shelf life and that does not benefit you at all. The gritty stuff will only aggravate your acne making it worse. Use a natural AHA facial cleanser. Just search online "Natural AHA Facial Cleanser" and don't skimp on price, the more you pay the better quality it is and its your face at stake, so dont be cheap, its worth anything to get rid of your acne, just ask the chics at school.