Notifications
Clear all

Why Do So Many People Use Sunscreen?.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 03/27/2013 1:50 pm

Doesn't suncreen inhibit vitamin D?. Honest question. With the rise in sunscreen, also came a rise in cancer victims. It reminds me of milk. We were told how necessary it is for healthy bones and yet, America, the largest consumers of milk (That's pasteurized cow's milk) also have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis...something doesn't add up and I think these questions have to be asked.

Edit: Another question. Why is it that when one discovers a sunscreen using entirely natural ingredients, that's also very potent, the FDA refuses to acknowledge it and does everything in their power to prevent the product(s) hitting the shelves?, I don't understand.

XXYY and ibiza1987 liked
MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 03/27/2013 2:15 pm

Doesn't suncreen inhibit vitamin D?. Honest question. With the rise in sunscreen, also came a rise in cancer victims. It reminds me of milk. We were told how necessary it is for healthy bones and yet, America, the largest consumers of milk (That's pasteurized cow's milk) also have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis...something doesn't add up and I think these questions have to be asked.

Edit: Another question. Why is it that when one discovers a sunscreen using entirely natural ingredients, that's also very potent, the FDA refuses to acknowledge it and does everything in their power to prevent the product(s) hitting the shelves?, I don't understand.

Yes agree totally, I only wear it if I will be in the sun for many hours, or if I go to somewhere with very high UV such as the Caribbean. I totally believe sunshine is very beneficial to health, in fact sunscreens inhibit vitamin D absorption from the sun, one of the side effects of being low on this important vitamin is weak bones! Also going out in the sun seems to help my acne. When buying my sunscreens I always go for one with a low level of toxins, there's a website out there that gives you a toxicity rating of your cosmetic or beauty product on a scale of 1-10. I've heard the Banana Boat brand is one of the worst, and Hawaiian Tropic is one of the least toxic (which I buy). I am still looking into either making my own by mixing zinc oxide with body lotion, or buying one from a natural store, although like you said, natural sunscreen is hard to come by for the reason you stated.

Something I've often wondered too - have you noticed how in recent years, the sunscreen factor numbers are getting higher and higher? About 10 years ago we were told to use a factor 15 at the most, now they're telling us to wear factor 50 or factor 30 at the very least, and to wear it at all times, even in winter! It's madness. And people (sheeple) believe it.

Regarding milk, I avoid it wherever possible just in case those hormones are aggravating my acne, or otherwise upsetting my own hormone balance. I use coconut milk instead and it's delicious :) Apparently it has more calcium that 2% milk, also less calories too so it's obviously way better for you, and people shouldn't believe the myth that it's really fatty and calorific.

MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 03/27/2013 2:18 pm

I personally don't buy the whole sunscreen thing either. When it first came out I didn't trust it...now that its been linked to certain forms of cancer I really don't trust it.

EDIT: But that reminds me of something! My derm gave me some "lotion samples" that were really SPF 30...Thinking it was just moisturizer, I used it. Realized after smearing it all over my face for a few days that it was actually sunscreen. I was kind of annoyed because I don't even want the stuff on my skin.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 03/27/2013 2:57 pm

Yes agree totally, I only wear it if I will be in the sun for many hours, or if I go to somewhere with very high UV such as the Caribbean. I totally believe sunshine is very beneficial to health, in fact sunscreens inhibit vitamin D absorption from the sun, one of the side effects of being low on this important vitamin is weak bones! Also going out in the sun seems to help my acne. When buying my sunscreens I always go for one with a low level of toxins, there's a website out there that gives you a toxicity rating of your cosmetic or beauty product on a scale of 1-10. I've heard the Banana Boat brand is one of the worst, and Hawaiian Tropic is one of the least toxic (which I buy). I am still looking into either making my own by mixing zinc oxide with body lotion, or buying one from a natural store, although like you said, natural sunscreen is hard to come by for the reason you stated.

Something I've often wondered too - have you noticed how in recent years, the sunscreen factor numbers are getting higher and higher? About 10 years ago we were told to use a factor 15 at the most, now they're telling us to wear factor 50 or factor 30 at the very least, and to wear it at all times, even in winter! It's madness. And people (sheeple) believe it.

Regarding milk, I avoid it wherever possible just in case those hormones are aggravating my acne, or otherwise upsetting my own hormone balance. I use coconut milk instead and it's delicious smile.png Apparently it has more calcium that 2% milk, also less calories too so it's obviously way better for you, and people shouldn't believe the myth that it's really fatty and calorific.

I hear you!. It's only recently, after some research, that I've come to realize just how essential vitamin D is for our bodies. I can't understand, intentionally avoiding it. I'm glad you're aware though, I hate it when I'm made to feel like a conspiracy theorist because I challenge what's accepted. You've got an upper hand at least, in that you're not caught up in a dangerous system, that could potentially cause you a lot of heart ache and even your life.

I have realized this. I've also realized that with the rise in spf, comes the rise in price. I once saw an spf, half the size of my hand, being sold for £25, I didn't understand it then either. It's these companies plant a seed that feeds on the fear of the public and then uses that fear to profit *shakes head*.

Coconut milk is great biggrin.png. I'd love to get my hands on some, but I have to wait till I go home (Carribean) to get it fresh.

I personally don't buy the whole sunscreen thing either. When it first came out I didn't trust it...now that its been linked to certain forms of cancer I really don't trust it.

EDIT: But that reminds me of something! My derm gave me some "lotion samples" that were really SPF 30...Thinking it was just moisturizer, I used it. Realized after smearing it all over my face for a few days that it was actually sunscreen. I was kind of annoyed because I don't even want the stuff on my skin.

I know what you mean man. I don't want that stuff anywhere near, or around my skin. The sun is the central point of all life on earth. It's what's allowed us to thrive on this planet, and now we're being told to reject it at ALL times? :/

ibiza1987 liked
MemberMember
(@livvie)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:11 pm

Yeah, I know! Why is it that our skin looks sooo much better in the summer, when we're outside getting fresh air and light in the sunshine than in winter when we're cooped up and turn pale/pimply?

It can be harsh if you're at a high altitude like I am, but at the beach in Mexico or in the South...ah, it doesn't get better than that. I can't get enough sun! Until I get a sunburn. I guess you can limit the time spent in the sun or use natural sunscreen to avoid that. But I want to get all I can. :D

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:39 pm

Regarding milk, I avoid it wherever possible just in case those hormones are aggravating my acne, or otherwise upsetting my own hormone balance. I use coconut milk instead and it's delicious smile.png Apparently it has more calcium that 2% milk, also less calories too so it's obviously way better for you, and people shouldn't believe the myth that it's really fatty and calorific.

I hear you!. It's only recently, after some research, that I've come to realize just how essential vitamin D is for our bodies. I can't understand, intentionally avoiding it. I'm glad you're aware though, I hate it when I'm made to feel like a conspiracy theorist because I challenge what's accepted. You've got an upper hand at least, in that you're not caught up in a dangerous system, that could potentially cause you a lot of heart ache and even your life.

I have realized this. I've also realized that with the rise in spf, comes the rise in price. I once saw an spf, half the size of my hand, being sold for £25, I didn't understand it then either. It's these companies plant a seed that feeds on the fear of the public and then uses that fear to profit *shakes head*.

Coconut milk is great biggrin.png. I'd love to get my hands on some, but I have to wait till I go home (Carribean) to get it fresh.

>I personally don't buy the whole sunscreen thing either. When it first came out I didn't trust it...now that its been linked to certain forms of cancer I really don't trust it.

I know what you mean man. I don't want that stuff anywhere near, or around my skin. The sun is the central point of all life on earth. It's what's allowed us to thrive on this planet, and now we're being told to reject it at ALL times? :/

Yeah it is so frustrating when most of the general public buy into something and cannot see that it's detrimental to health. Do people not question why the skin cancer rates have actually gone right up since we have been applying high SPF's religiously and avoiding going out in the sunshine with bare skin at all costs? I have this argument with my friends all the time, they think that I am a moron for tanning in this day and age 'when the dangers of the sun are well known' and when I have been on holiday with such people, I have put on low factor Hawaiian tropic oil, sometimes no oil at all and tanned to a deep mahogany colour; my friends would keep out of the sun as much as possible and plaster on thick white creams in high factors and stayed pasty all holiday, upon their return home they didn't even look as if they'd been to a hot climate.

One thing I've realised over the years, and you can apply this to several situations in life, is that the truth is still the truth even if only one person believes it, and a lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it. I love that quote! :)

That sounds lovely, I just came back from the Caribbean but didn't manage to drink any coconut milk fresh from the coconut - I usually get the cartons of it from the shop!

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, I know! Why is it that our skin looks sooo much better in the summer, when we're outside getting fresh air and light in the sunshine than in winter when we're cooped up and turn pale/pimply?

It can be harsh if you're at a high altitude like I am, but at the beach in Mexico or in the South...ah, it doesn't get better than that. I can't get enough sun! Until I get a sunburn. I guess you can limit the time spent in the sun or use natural sunscreen to avoid that. But I want to get all I can. biggrin.png

Lol we're in the age of the vampires. I'm glad you haven't turned the sun into your enemy. I couldn't imagine being on the beach, having to worry about sunscreen, scared to swim because I'd have to re-apply, constantly checking my watch for the next application. :s

>I personally don't buy the whole sunscreen thing either. When it first came out I didn't trust it...now that its been linked to certain forms of cancer I really don't trust it.

EDIT: But that reminds me of something! My derm gave me some "lotion samples" that were really SPF 30...Thinking it was just moisturizer, I used it. Realized after smearing it all over my face for a few days that it was actually sunscreen. I was kind of annoyed because I don't even want the stuff on my

skin.

Yeah it is so frustrating when most of the general public buy into something and cannot see that it's detrimental to health. Do people not question why the skin cancer rates have actually gone right up since we have been applying high SPF's religiously and avoiding going out in the sunshine with bare skin at all costs? I have this argument with my friends all the time, they think that I am a moron for tanning in this day and age 'when the dangers of the sun are well known' and when I have been on holiday with such people, I have put on low factor Hawaiian tropic oil, sometimes no oil at all and tanned to a deep mahogany colour; my friends would keep out of the sun as much as possible and plaster on thick white creams in high factors and stayed pasty all holiday, upon their return home they didn't even look as if they'd been to a hot climate.

One thing I've realised over the years, and you can apply this to several situations in life, is that the truth is still the truth even if only one person believes it, and a lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it. I love that quote! smile.png

That sounds lovely, I just came back from the Caribbean but didn't manage to drink any coconut milk fresh from the coconut - I usually get the cartons of it from the shop!

Lol, I can understand how your friends feel though, it's that fear that gets to them. It's a "I'd rather be safe than sorry" mentality. It all reminds me of that experiment where they put a random guy in a white coat and told that man to instruct people to essentially, electrocute others to death. They did it, because of that white coat! and now they're doing the same thing.

Amen to that!, I've always been willing to stand on my own if necessary. It takes a strong and resilient character to oppose the majority, as you'll always face opposition *Bows in honour*.

Ah, there's no comparison to fresh coconut milk. It's like the difference between beef jerky and a sirloin steak :)

ibiza1987 liked