Notifications
Clear all

Laser Hair Removal Giving Me Acne?

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 03/20/2013 12:13 pm

Hi, so for the past year and this year I have been going through laser hair removal on my whole face (I'm a girl) I've struggled with mild acne from ages 16-18 and for the most part its cleared up. Only thing is, I find that everytime I go through a hair removal session, I break out in a number of whiteheads/pustules on my cheeks and chin (even my neck, where ive never had spots before!) Its lead me to believe they may be ingrowing hairs becoming inflamed, because the woman shaves my face before using the laser. I also have very fine hair on my face so i'm guessing its more prone to getting ingrowing hairs?

What do you think the cause is, and what should I do? I dont want to stop treatment but I also dread these breakouts after every session :(

Any advice would be appreciated

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/20/2013 2:31 pm

i am going through the same thing. I hate it! and i hate that they have to shave my face, ive actually stopped doing it because i feel it just stimulates the baby fine hairs to come out thicker or get blocked. I always get the same areas that breakout.which system do you use ? My doctor said that the alexandrite lasers etc can stimulate acne, but IPL generally doesn't, however, a friend of mine and i both do IPL and we both breakout after our sessions. Usually in reddish whiteheads/papules etc and they also appear when the new growth appears. The worse thing i heard is that facial hair can take up to 10 sessions to get rid off. The only thing i can say is ride it out and make sure you clean your face well after each session, and just dont shave it. I don't even think its necessary to be honest, even though they insist, im not crazy in saying that i think it makes the hair thicker, especially on the face. Or it just blocks the pore.

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 03/20/2013 4:24 pm

i am going through the same thing. I hate it! and i hate that they have to shave my face, ive actually stopped doing it because i feel it just stimulates the baby fine hairs to come out thicker or get blocked. I always get the same areas that breakout.which system do you use ? My doctor said that the alexandrite lasers etc can stimulate acne, but IPL generally doesn't, however, a friend of mine and i both do IPL and we both breakout after our sessions. Usually in reddish whiteheads/papules etc and they also appear when the new growth appears. The worse thing i heard is that facial hair can take up to 10 sessions to get rid off. The only thing i can say is ride it out and make sure you clean your face well after each session, and just dont shave it. I don't even think its necessary to be honest, even though they insist, im not crazy in saying that i think it makes the hair thicker, especially on the face. Or it just blocks the pore.

I think its IPL I'm going with! Its exactly the same with me, like a few days after laser, ill just break out like crazy especially near my 'sideburn area' And when i look at them closely in bright light i can see a little hair stuck inside! Definitely agree that the pore is getting blocked, even exfoliating doesn't help. I'm currently on session 6, I've got two more sessions to go so i'm hoping I can ride it out for the next 2 months. Hmm, I heard they shave to minimise discomfort, but if it doesn't affect the treatment I may ask her not to shave, cos its surely shaving thats causing the damage.

How is your treatment going? I'm pleased with the results, despite the nasty breakouts eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/21/2013 1:52 am

hi :)

results are good, they went downhill for some time because i was travelling and couldnt keep up my sessions and my doc told me to come in every 6 weeks or as soon as hairs started to appear. Its weird that this convo has come up because, last night i noticed 2-3 small reddish kind of breakouts in that 'sideburn' area, kind of near my cheekbone area. I saw a kind of blackhead thing and when i finished washing my face, it kind of came out and there was a small hair attached to it :S. It was like it was ingrown or something. I've done so many sessions, like, 7 or 8 now, but i think i may need about 3 more to be completely clear. I'm gonna ask her to increase the power this time. apparently having too low power can make the hairs come back, and they aren't really killed off, but they can increase or something. I definately think its the pore getting blocked with hair. As soon as the hair gets killed off, then hopefully we can put an end to the breakouts!

last time i went to the doctor she had a look with that maginifying light thing they have, and she confirmed it was hairs in those areas that was causing the reddish pimples.

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 03/22/2013 3:35 am

Same thing happena to me! i squeeze those bumpy things and little hairs come out! So weird but at least we know its definately the shaving doing the damage. I was going crazy thinking the acne in my teens was making a comeback. my hair has just gone kind of patchy now, I'm hoping two more sessions will do the trick. The woman who does my laser has been gradually bumping up the strength of the laser but it's strange because as soon as that has been happening my breakouts have been getting worse after each treatment. My friend who is having laser in a different area was saying its because I'm shaving immediately before the laser, and I should shave a couple of days before because the hair follicle is become too inflamed or something. I'm not too sure but ill try it out :/

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/22/2013 3:03 pm

that makes sense. One doctor told me to shave the night before. but i hate shaving. I may do it myself tomorrow, depending on whether i go to my appointment, and i will let you know how it goes. I think it can actually irritate the pore, after i shave my face, i notice its very red :S. I hope to also just have 2-3 more sessions, i know that increasing the power can potentially cause more breakouts because thats what happened this last time. :(. but i just want the hair to go because i do feel worried about the spots and all. I actually saved a blackhead (eww, i know lol) with the hair attached just to show my doctor because i think she doesnt believe me but she's cool so she might offer a suggestion.

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 03/23/2013 11:37 am

Shaving is just the worst! I hate doing it, i feel like a man or something. Yeah increasing the power definitely irritated my skin alot more, and in turn caused more breakouts. But hey if it gets rid of the hair then I guess we just have to wait it out. Just cant wait for it to be over. Good luck with your next session, let me know how it goes! By the way, I've been exfoliated every day and thats helped reduce some of the whiteheads, so try doing that regularly it may help.

MemberMember
(@kelly99)

Posted : 07/01/2014 10:20 am

Are you done with all the laser sessions? Are you still having those breakouts? I started in December last yet and after my 4th session I started getting these breakouts, I thought it was just some acne and ignored it. I never had acne on my chin or neck and now I have these breakouts and spots that I am not liking. Have you been able to get rid of that yet?

Hi, so for the past year and this year I have been going through laser hair removal on my whole face (I'm a girl) I've struggled with mild acne from ages 16-18 and for the most part its cleared up. Only thing is, I find that everytime I go through a hair removal session, I break out in a number of whiteheads/pustules on my cheeks and chin (even my neck, where ive never had spots before!) Its lead me to believe they may be ingrowing hairs becoming inflamed, because the woman shaves my face before using the laser. I also have very fine hair on my face so i'm guessing its more prone to getting ingrowing hairs?

What do you think the cause is, and what should I do? I dont want to stop treatment but I also dread these breakouts after every session :(

Any advice would be appreciated