Notifications
Clear all

Braces Causing Acne?

MemberMember
(@dchinot)

Posted : 02/14/2013 6:23 pm

I have mild acne around my mouth and sever on my neck, back, chest, and cheeks. When I got my braces I got my first pimple right under my nose, above my lip (where men usually have a mustache) and I started getting these pimples a few days after I got my braces. Before I got my braces on I had 1 or 2 pimples on my jaw line. Ever since I was a kid I had a bad reaction with metal, when people cling metal together I clench my teeth and squint my eyes and it kinda hurts (weird I know). I've had my braces for about 9 months now and each month my acne gets worst! I haven't really kept track of my acne after my dentist appointments but the appointment I had 5 days ago made me break out very bad so I was wondering if braces could cause acne and if so do I have to wait to get them off to lose my acne.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/15/2013 9:33 am

I've never heard of braces chasing acne... maybe it's a reaction to the latex gloves they use at your orthodontist?

MemberMember
(@bobbyz1)

Posted : 02/15/2013 3:46 pm

Bacne is almost always caused by dairy. If you eat a lot of cheese and dairy related products, they probably contain steroids/antibiotics, and a side effect of steroids, even those pumped into cows- is acne. Even if the milk you have in your fridge says hormone/steroid free, you have to consider all other dairy you eat, be it from restaurants, sunday dinners, even the milk used to make cakes or the "creme" in oereo cookies you might buy from 7-11.

I'd stop eating dairy for a few weeks and see what happens. Exercise is always a must. Lots of green vegetables and fruits (organic) will also help.

If it isn't dairy, it could be that you're just sensitive to a certain food you're eating. For me, every single time I eat any type of shrimp or chocolate, I break out bad. If I avoid those foods, I don't break out. Knowledge is power and is acne's kryptonite smile.png