Notifications
Clear all

Acne Around Mouth-Mainly Upper Lip

MemberMember
(@nickh17)

Posted : 01/20/2013 1:17 pm

Hello.

Before I had this problem I always had clear skin with only a few pimples here and there. However last August whilst on holiday I started to get an outbreak of pimples. Mainly on my upper lip and some on my chin. These lasted a week or so and I put it down to not eating healthy whilst being away and my age(17 and male)

Eventually these went away and I had clear skin up until October when they started to return mainly on my upper lip again and on the sides of my chin. I hadn't changed anything in my skin care regime. These progressively got worse until I December. I went on holiday with the worst skin I've ever had. However during this time it healed up and I was getting no new acne on my upper lip. I put this down to the benzoyl peroxide cream I purchased whilst there. I thought this would clear it up for good if I kept using it. Note: i was now only washing with warm water and then splashing my face with cold water after.When I returned home my skin was looking great the best it's been in months. However in less than a week it came back and is at the level(maybe slightly better) than before I left. The benzoyl peroxide cream doesn't seem to be stopping new pimples from coming up.

This has now lead me to believe it was something to do with the sunlight, and obviously being in England there is no sun at the moment.

I am now using simple face wash and applying the cream after this this. Then put liz earle moisterizer to prevent dryness.

Is there anything I can do?

I am now eating healthily but it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

Should I take vitamin d supplements since the sun seemed to clear it up?

And does anybody know what could be causing this? I haven't seen any other pictures with people who have acne concentrated on their upper lip.

I have stopped using fluoride toothpaste aswell but no real difference.

Any help would be good

Thankyou

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 01/20/2013 1:37 pm

You're not the only one who has noticed their acne gets better on holiday. As I said in another thread, I'm willing to be a large sum of money that it's a stark contrast in both atmosphere (air) and water.

MemberMember
(@nickh17)

Posted : 01/20/2013 1:47 pm

You're not the only one who has noticed their acne gets better on holiday. As I said in another thread, I'm willing to be a large sum of money that it's a stark contrast in both atmosphere (air) and water.

Thanks for the reply. Is their anything I can do to stop this? Would washing my face with bottled water help?

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/20/2013 2:51 pm

You could always try washing with salt (sea salt) water. I notice my skin gets much better after a couple swims in the ocean.

I always get acne on my upper lip as well, and sort of around my nose. They're more just red bumps that take longer to go away (not your typical acne). This can be described as Perioral Dermatitis which is what mine is, so maybe you have a form of dermatitis as well? You need a round of antibiotics before it'll get better.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 01/20/2013 3:22 pm

You could always try washing with salt (sea salt) water. I notice my skin gets much better after a couple swims in the ocean.

I always get acne on my upper lip as well, and sort of around my nose. They're more just red bumps that take longer to go away (not your typical acne). This can be described as Perioral Dermatitis which is what mine is, so maybe you have a form of dermatitis as well? You need a round of antibiotics before it'll get better.

I second this. Dead sea salt/Epsom salt was a great help whenever I returned from a holiday.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/20/2013 3:24 pm

Anyone taking antibiotics will need to take a good probiotic. It's well documented on this site.

MemberMember
(@mango1)

Posted : 04/10/2013 4:48 pm

If your skin gets better only when you are on vacation in another area, you should check out this website: [Removed]

For some people, even drinking fluoridated water can cause acne. Check if the places that you visit and where you live are or aren't fluoridated, and see if your skin gets better in non fluoridated areas. I'm currently experimenting with this -- my acne went away completely in non-fluoridated areas but then comes back when I go back home (fluoridated water) so I'm currently avoiding fluoride as much as I can to see what happens. Problem is it's in a lot of foods as well, so I'm doing my best to see if I can get rid of acne in my fluoridated city.