Notifications
Clear all

Question About Blackheads And Intro

MemberMember
(@wjsidis)

Posted : 01/14/2013 10:17 pm

A little background information on myself/timeline (skip to the bolded part at the bottom if you just want to know my reason for coming here):

- I'm currently 18 years old, almost 19.

- I got my first pimple when I was 11 years old, but I didn't actually get acne until I was 12.

- From ages 12-14 I had moderate acne. I wouldn't classify it as severe compared to some of the pictures I've seen, but it was bad enough that it miserable. Having it at such a young age was extremely depressing, seeing as I was one of the only people in my middle school with acne. I would post a picture that represents my acne at the time, but I honestly don't remember it a whole lot. It was so depressing that I essentially forgot what I looked like because I would try my best not to look at myself.

- The summer before I went to high school I worked on my face, and miraculously my acne disappeared. Unfortunately, however, this revealed that I had some scarring leftover. Just when I had gotten my hopes up =\.

- At age 15 and 16 my acne came back as mild-moderate. When I turned 17 it was almost completely gone.

- Present day: I now very rarely get pimples. Every now and then I'll get one spot, but it's not severe and it usually goes away in a couple of days. Before I had to watch what I ate, as chips, french fries, and sodas would cause my face to break out. Now I can eat anything I choose. It feels pretty great.

Treatments I've had done:

- Accutane. I was on accutane for a couple of months when I was 13. Overall the product was great and worked wonders. My acne lightened up, and something I did not expect, the blackheads on my nose were completely gone! However, the downside to this is that I would have frequent nosebleeds due to the dry skin. My eyes were fine, and I didn't mind the dry lips, but the nosebleeds were too much for me. It seemed like every night it was happening, even with a humidifier. I stopped taking accutane because of this, and my acne progressively returned.

- Fraxel laser: This procedure has had mixed reviews, but it had a positive effect for me. I received my first fraxel laser treatment in July of 2011. I received either one or two more treatments. I can't really remember which. Anyways, now my scars are practically nonexistent. It's pretty incredible. However, there a few things to note about the fraxel laser for those who are also considering using it. This has been over the course of a year and a half. Even after you get the procedure, it stimulates collagen growth for several months afterwards. So even after I stopped getting treatments, my scars continued to get better and better. As far as pain goes, I'd say it's probably the equivalent of getting your face tattooed.

Now, my reason for coming here:

While I no longer have acne, except for the occasional stress pimple every once in a while, I still have blackheads on my nose. It's nothing compared to the humiliating effect of acne, but I'm still very self conscious about it. Also, my skin is still somewhat oily. I would classify it as mildly oily. So my question is, what should I do to get rid of this? I've tried blackhead strips and they have little effect on them. I'm planning on going to see a dermatologist about them this week. Should I perhaps take a very low dosage of accutane? Perhaps the dosage will be low enough to cause minimal side effects, but enough to wipe out the blackheads on my nose and reduce the oily skin.

Thanks for reading my story.

Edit: If there are any alternative methods or medications to accutane with fewer side effects, I'd appreciate the information.

MemberMember
(@ciaraisskysailing)

Posted : 01/14/2013 10:47 pm

I find that I have the same problem every so often but more so with blackheads on my chin. I usually use facial scrubs which gets rid of them for 3-5 days at a time. I had researched into the 'home remedies' I could perhaps try, I came across a forum of people claiming that a high dosage of Pantothenic Acic (Vitamin B5) can help reduce pore size and help eradicate oily skin. I have been trying this for the past 6 weeks and I can say it has worked wonders! My pores have shrunk dramatically and my skin is producing a lot less oil! A few reviews I have read have said it is supposed to work the same way that Accutane does but without the harsh side effects.

I hope you find a solution soon smile.png

MemberMember
(@wjsidis)

Posted : 01/14/2013 10:51 pm

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've had these for a log time and they have just seemed to never go away. I think that if I could get them to go away I could keep them gone.

MemberMember
(@ciaraisskysailing)

Posted : 01/14/2013 10:59 pm

Then I reckon you should do what you said in your previous post and go back to the Dermatologist :)

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/14/2013 11:42 pm

A little background information on myself/timeline (skip to the bolded part at the bottom if you just want to know my reason for coming here):

- I got my first pimple when I was 11 years old, but I didn't actually get acne until I was 12.

- From ages 12-14 I had moderate acne. I wouldn't classify it as severe compared to some of the pictures I've seen, but it was bad enough that it miserable. Having it at such a young age was extremely depressing, seeing as I was one of the only people in my middle school with acne. I would post a picture that represents my acne at the time, but I honestly don't remember it a whole lot. It was so depressing that I essentially forgot what I looked like because I would try my best not to look at myself.

- The summer before I went to high school I worked on my face, and miraculously my acne disappeared. Unfortunately, however, this revealed that I had some scarring leftover. Just when I had gotten my hopes up =\.

- At age 15 and 16 my acne came back as mild-moderate. When I turned 17 it was almost completely gone.

- Present day: I now very rarely get pimples. Every now and then I'll get one spot, but it's not severe and it usually goes away in a couple of days. Before I had to watch what I ate, as chips, french fries, and sodas would cause my face to break out. Now I can eat anything I choose. It feels pretty great.

- Accutane. I was on accutane for a couple of months when I was 13. Overall the product was great and worked wonders. My acne lightened up, and something I did not expect, the blackheads on my nose were completely gone! However, the downside to this is that I would have frequent nosebleeds due to the dry skin. My eyes were fine, and I didn't mind the dry lips, but the nosebleeds were too much for me. It seemed like every night it was happening, even with a humidifier. I stopped taking accutane because of this, and my acne progressively returned.

- Fraxel laser: This procedure has had mixed reviews, but it had a positive effect for me. I received my first fraxel laser treatment in July of 2011. I received either one or two more treatments. I can't really remember which. Anyways, now my scars are practically nonexistent. It's pretty incredible. However, there a few things to note about the fraxel laser for those who are also considering using it. This has been over the course of a year and a half. Even after you get the procedure, it stimulates collagen growth for several months afterwards. So even after I stopped getting treatments, my scars continued to get better and better. As far as pain goes, I'd say it's probably the equivalent of getting your face tattooed.

While I no longer have acne, except for the occasional stress pimple every once in a while, I still have blackheads on my nose. It's nothing compared to the humiliating effect of acne, but I'm still very self conscious about it. Also, my skin is still somewhat oily. I would classify it as mildly oily. So my question is, what should I do to get rid of this? I've tried blackhead strips and they have little effect on them. I'm planning on going to see a dermatologist about them this week. Should I perhaps take a very low dosage of accutane? Perhaps the dosage will be low enough to cause minimal side effects, but enough to wipe out the blackheads on my nose and reduce the oily skin.

Edit: If there are any alternative methods or medications to accutane with fewer side effects, I'd appreciate the information.

Before you decide anything drastic read this

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546911-difference-between-blackheads-sebaceous-filaments/

If you want something to minimize them try clay masks like calcium bentonite clay and French green clay. You could also use some sort of exfoliant if you'd like.

People who have acne or had acne in the past have large pores so these sebaceous filaments are more noticeable.

MemberMember
(@wjsidis)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:47 pm

http://www.livestron...eous-filaments/

If you want something to minimize them try clay masks like calcium bentonite clay and French green clay. You could also use some sort of exfoliant if you'd like.

People who have acne or had acne in the past have large pores so these sebaceous filaments are more noticeable.

I think that this is what I actually have. I had heard people say "those aren't blackheads" before (online and not directed at me), but I wasn't sure what they meant by that.

Do you think a skin toner would help reduce the size? Apparently that's what it's supposed to do in the first place. Anyways, thanks for the information.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/15/2013 9:30 pm

I think that this is what I actually have. I had heard people say "those aren't blackheads" before (online and not directed at me), but I wasn't sure what they meant by that.

Do you think a skin toner would help reduce the size? Apparently that's what it's supposed to do in the first place. Anyways, thanks for the information.

No problem and I happy to help :D

The only way I see a toner helping by making them less noticeible is if it has salicylic acid or alpha hydroxy acid in it. Just use the toner in the areas where the sebaceous filaments are.

MemberMember
(@wjsidis)

Posted : 01/15/2013 9:51 pm

No problem and I happy to help biggrin.png

The only way I see a toner helping by making them less noticeible is if it has salicylic acid or alpha hydroxy acid in it. Just use the toner in the areas where the sebaceous filaments are.

Ya, that's what I was planning on it. It's not noticeable unless you're like a foot away from me, but any diminishing would be grateful.